Darth Wiki / The Animation Crossroads
The Animation Crossroadsnote
is a Deconstruction Crossover
trilogy being developed by Pumpkin Lore
. It follows Dedra Rockwell
, an ambitious young girl in Thalia
, the capital of Anima. Due to her dream of being an Inter-Universe explorer and a vague childhood memory, Dedra has been
tracking the Scarecrow
, a mysterious figure who is a powerful Seeker
, one who can track down and even create worldgates. One night, Dedra gets up the nerve to approach the Scarecrow, revealing
that the Scarecrow is Terrence Skellington
. He wakes up from sleep walk and doesn't remember anything to do with his Scarecrow persona. Terrence asks Dedra to help him regain his memories, which she eagerly agrees to
However, the recent worldgate shifts
have made Terrence both potentially powerful and dangerous, and there are many people who would do anything to control him and his powers; King Gregory
, who is desperate to find a cure for the worldgate shifts; Morgana Circe
, who thinks King Gregory is unsuited for the throne and wants to overthrow him; and a mysterious La Résistance
, whose purposes are unknown.
Suddenly, it's up to Dedra to protect Terrence and for both of them to stop The End of the World as We Know It
, diving deep into political intrigue, meeting many famous animated characters, and braving many dangers while dealing with the growing affection they have for each other
Expect major changes, as this is a developing project.
The Animation Crossroads provides examples of:
- Affably Evil: King Gregory and Morgana Circe.
- Alien Non-Interference Clause: In the past, there used to be one similar to Kingdom Hearts — don't meddle in other worlds — but after observing that there have been meddling in the world, the government of Anima decide to screw the world order and open up trade.
- Animated Actors: Part of the population are Animated Actors, either working or retired. The rough rule of thumb is that if a character stars in a non-Story Arc shownote or a film based on earier published worksnote , they're most likely Animated Actors. If a character stars in a show with a Story Arcnote or a film not based on earier published worksnote ]], that character is either a citizen of Anima, or a citizen of another world connected to Anima.
- Apocalypse How: At first seems like a Class 3 or 4, but escalates into a Class X-5.
- At the Crossroads
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: Taken Up to Eleven when King Gator and Louis leads a musical band of animals through the cafe Jack and The Gaang were having lunch at. This is promptly Lampshaded:
Sokka: . . . what was that?
Sokka: What?! Two alligators and a band of animals just came through here playing music! How do you ignore something like that?!
Jack: Well, people have tried to make sense of these moments, but then they get confused and go cross-eyed. I don't think we want to go cross-eyed.
- Bread and Circuses
- Break the Cutie: Dedra is a Wide-Eyed Idealist at the beginning of events. She's considerably more jaded at the end of events.
- Brother-Sister Team: Terrence and Robyn.
- Carnivore Confusion: This is a bit of a problem in Anima. Where there's times of famine, things can get very messy. In normal circumstances, Carnivore Confusion is dealt with as thus:
- Some animals are non-sentient, and while for the most part it's okay to eat non-sentient animals, it's considered very cruel to eat the flesh of a non-sentient animal in front of a sentient animal of the same species. Also, the arguments of if having a pet is slavery or not varies from sentient animal to sentient animal. If there's plenty of farmland and if a creature can live on a vegan diet, the case is usually so. In the case of where the land is infertile, in the wild, and in the case of prey and predators, however . . .
- Carnivorism happens, and we have to deal with it. It still expected that if it's possible to control their instincts, that the predator check and make sure that the prey is non-sentient. Unfortunately, that means that with predatory animals having a lesser sentient rate then prey animals, sentient predatory animals are often discriminated against.
- Cartoon Crossover: Duh.
- Circus Brat: Dedra used to travel with the Carnival of Rust with her ringmaster grandmother, but the recent worldgate shifts have grounded the carnival in Thalia.
- Crapsack World
- Dark Is Not Evil: The Skellington family, obviously, though here they have to prove it more then usual.
- Dem Bones: Terrence and Jack, obviously.
- Die or Fly: Terrence's first time trying to take control of a worldgate is when a worldgate shift threatens to destroy Thalia. Terrence stops the worldgate from destroying Thalia entirely, but the shift still destroys part of Thalia and Terrence nearly dies.
- Eveythings Better With Princesses: Princess Roxanne
- Fantastic Caste System: Only the wealthy upper class, royalty, and Seekers are allow to hold non-administrative Inter-Universe jobs, much to Dedra's dismay.
- Fantastic Racism
- Fantastic Romance / Interspecies Romance / Ghost Shipping: Dedra and Terrence, with lots of UST. It's also implied that Selena has a crush on Terrence.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: Justified with Anima being the center of the animated Portal Network.
- Gender Equals Breed: Played with, as Terrence and Robyn are a skeleton and rag-doll, respectively, but in physique and personality, Robyn is more like Jack and Terrence is more like Sally.
- Genre Deconstruction Crossover Fleet
- Heroes Want Redheads: Again, Dedra and Terrence.
- Hitchhiker Heroes
- Humanoid Female Animal: Selena, who gets it from her mother, Sawyer.
- Important / Traumatic Haircut: When the first kidnapper comes back to the cafe that Dedra's uncle owns, he grabs Dedra by her ponytail, forcing her to grab a knife and cut off her ponytail to escape. Unfortunately, this provides Jun's steed a smell to track her and Terrence down.
- Impoverished Patrician: The Skellington family.
- Inn Between the Worlds: Anima as a whole could be considered this.
- Lady of Adventure: Dedra wants to be one.
- Land of One City: Thalia, doubles as a City of Adventure.
- Lineage Comes from the Father: Played with, as while Terrence's Seeker abilities came from Jack, what makes him valuable to many — his ability to predict worldgate shifts — comes from Sally.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Roxanne
- Magic Versus Science: Played straight with scientists like Jimmy Neutron and wizards like Merlin not getting along well, but otherwise averted, as things like worldgates run on both magic and technology are more efficient then magic or technology on its own. However, science is more regulated by government then magic.
- Mama Bear: Amelia, Morgana, Sawyer, and Sally all don't like people messing with their kids.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover
- Morality Pet: Morgana is an Anti-Villain, but she tries to keep a good example for her daughter, Sarah.
- Mordor: The Wastelands, areas where worldgates have shifted and devastated the land, are this.
- The Multiverse
- Nice Hat: Terrence has a dark grey fedora.
- Original Generation
- Our Wormholes Are Different: The worldgates are described as being a sort of sub-wormhole.
- Papa Wolf: You really don't want to mess with Jack Skellington's kids. You will regret it.
- Portal Network: Anima is one gigantic natural portal network, and there's many smaller artificial portal networks throughout Anima.
- Post Modernism
- Power Trio: Jun, Carmen Sandiego, and Puck, when Morgana hires them to kidnap Terrence.
- Psychic Powers / Reality Warper: Seekers can track down worldgates, and the most powerful Seekers can even create worldgates. Terrence has barely mastered tracking down the worldgates, but as the Scarecrow . . .
- Punk Punk: There's usually some sort of Punk in most areas of Anima, most popular being Steam Punk, Dungeon Punk, and Cyber Punk.
- Rant-Inducing Slight: Jack ends up doing this after King Gregory reveals that he deliberately held the Skellington family from going back to Halloween Town.
- La Résistance: And Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny are the leaders.
- Shout-Out: The Carnival of Rust circus and tarot card is named after the song by Poets of the Fall.
- Sliding Scale of Fourth Wall Hardness is affected by the thinness of worldwalls — the thinner the worldwall is, the more Fourth Wall Breaking. It also affects the Sliding Scale of Seriousness Versus Silliness.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Terrence's Scarecrow persona. This is caused by when Terrence was injured in a worldgate breakdown that cracked open his skull. A rogue spirit was forced from the in-between of the worldgates and, needing a body to keep safe, possessed Terrence while he was weak from injury. Using Terrence natural Seeker abilities to gain energy from worldgates, the spirit, Limbus, have been keeping himself secret from Terrence so he may take over Terrence's body and stop the abuse of the worldgates. The secret is blown by Dedra.
- Take a Third Option: Deconstructed.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted by Dedra's mother Amelia, who is a therapist. The problem is that nobody ever goes to therapists.
- Trapped in Another World: The Abandoned are those who are trapped in Anima after a worldgate shift have destroyed their way home.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Morgana Circe. King Gregory is one as well.
- World of Chaos: Anima, especially with the worldgate shifts.
- X Meets Y: Originally, this was going to be Kingdom Hearts meets Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but it ended up being Wicked meets The Dark Tower with cartoon characters.