Sins Vs. Virtues
is an unpublished series by CJ Croen 1393
. What format it will be written in has not been determined.
There is an ancient prophecy created after Lucifer's failed attempt to overthrow God. God realized that Lucifer would try more than once and created the Virtues to keep the Sins in check. Each century, generation after generation would feature groups of people representing the Seven Deadly Sins
and Seven Heavenly Virtues
. They would fight each other until only one group remained. Unfortunately, the Virtues usually got their butts kicked...a lot
. Each generation has a Virtue and Sin who knows of their true origin and they
go to seek the other Sins and Virtues. Sometimes, one of them will refuse the call. Fortunately the prophecy points out that the Sin or Virtue can be transferred to someone else if need be, unless one of groups is in desperate trouble (like the Virtues when they recruited Humility). The Sins, however, usually just force people into it. Before their roles are realized, the Sins and Virtues tend to live relatively normal lives.
Skip ahead several thousand years; Tory Hummel
is an Ordinary High-School Student
until he's suddenly nabbed by a group of cute girls
who claim to be embodiments of the Seven Heavenly Virtues
, and Chastity
. They claim that they need a leader in their fight against the Seven Deadly Sins
, and Lust
is the leader of the sins and as such it was considered fitting that his opposite, Humility
would be most fitting as the leader of the Virtues. Their requirements, however, dictate that a member of the Virtues has to be a girl. Tory was so feminine that they made the obvious mistake
and by the time they realized it, it was too late.
Tory is ultimately too full of humility to want to be a hero
and ends up wanting to go home
. The only thing keeping him there is his crush
on Kindness. Things get personal
when she gets kidnapped by the sins
. An all out war ensues.
Plans and preparations are made for battle, with a few fishing heroes
and shopping villains
sprinkled in. As this occurs, the Horsemen of the Apocalypse
watch passively, helping both the sins and virtues due to the fact that their not meant to really take action until the end of the world
- Adorkable: Tory and Puck.
- Young Greed, then known as Richard, was pretty adorkable too.
- Bishounen: Tory and all the Sins. But especially Pride.
- And the Four Horsemen. Yes, even Death and Famine.
- The Fighting Narcissist: Pride.
- Arc Number: "7", as in "seven deadly sins" and "seven heavenly virtues".
- Peacock Guy: Pride (it's a cape though).
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Greed.
- The Virtues, as it turns out.
- Sissy Villain: Pride.
- Pride's not that bad of a sissy villain. Now Lust on the other hand...
- Warrior Monk: Patience.
- Naughty Nun: Charity.
- Good Is Not Soft: Let's just say that besides Kindness and Humility, the Virtues aren't pushovers...
- Black Sheep: Gluttony and Greed refuse to acknowledge that Lust is their half brother. Let that sink in.
- Keet: Puck.
- The Scrappy: In-Universe. Lust is hated by the other Sins because he's depraved and creepy, while Chastity annoys the Virtues with her lack of boundaries and constant monologues about love.
- Love Freak: Chastity is obsessed with falling in love.
- Stealth Pun: Chastity wears a belt
- Cerebus Retcon: Turns out, said belt is the key to her finding her true love.
- Lottery Of Doom: Father Philips uses this to "absolve people of sin". He selects people to go to a "special reform school". In reality, they're getting a special "audience" with Pride.
- Puppy Love: Kindness and Humility.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Envy. Literally.
- Classy Cat-Burglar: I (the author) consider Envy to be more of this than Gentleman Thief.
- Smug Snake: Pride.
- And Lust and Sloth and Envy and Gluttony, heck, all the Sins really. Pride's just the biggest one.
- Double Agent: Poor Puck...
- Anything That Moves / Depraved Bisexual: Lust.
- Lazy Bum: Sloth.
- Ill Girl: Maria, Greed's fiancee.
- Morality Pet: Maria to Greed.
- Official Couple: Greed/Maria, Humility/Kindness, Lust/Sloth, Diligence/Temperance, and Chastity/Puck.
- Punny Name: The Sins:
- Pride: Quincey Su Perbianote
- Greed: Richard Goldnote
- Envy: Norbert Lee Viathonnote
- Wrath: Satara Rattonnote
- Gluttony: Chef Dee Vorenote
- Sloth: Louis Lackernote
- Lust: Asmond Rosenote
- Sociopathic Soldier: Wrath.
- Villainous Glutton: Why Gluttony of course!
- Supreme Chef: Gluttony. This is why he's gluttonous in the first place.
- Nice Hat: Pride wears a top hat, Envy wears a green fedora with the initials "NV" printed on them, and Gluttony wears a chef hat.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Greed.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Greed.
- Birds of a Feather: Envy and Wrath.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Greed and Gluttony.
- Five-Bad Band: The Sins:
- Five-Man Band: The Virtues:
- Black Widow: Greed, Gluttony and Lust's mother.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Envy.
- Fiery Redhead: Wrath.
- Grim Reaper: Death.
- You Sexy Beast: The Four Horsemen.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Pride and Wrath.
- Karmic Death: The Sins.
- Wrath destroys a room, causing it to collapse and crush him.
- Gluttony is trapped in a machine he built to kill Temperance. The machine forces rats, snakes and toads down his throat until he swells up and explodes.
- Greed isn't killed, because Charity views killing as the ultimate act of greed (as in, your "taking" another person's life). Instead, she gives him a choice; he can keep all of his money and be left so preoccupied with it that he neglects Maria, or give most of his money to her and use what's left to cure Maria. He decides the latter is the lesser of two evils.
- Lust is pushed into a fireplace by Chastity, a woman he had seduced.
- Pride dies via his attempt to become God; He can't handle it and his body rots away into nothing.
- Sloth commits suicide after all the other sins die.
- Envy defects to the Virtues' side after Kindness shows him human decency for the first time in his life.
- Dirty Coward: Envy.
- Torture Technician: Sloth.
- Genki Girl: Temperance.
- Action Girl: The Virtues (except Humility).
- The Snark Knight: Diligence.
- Death Seeker: Sloth. Not for any major reason, living's just too much work for him. He's often pestering Death of the Four Horsemen as a result.
- Blood Knight: Wrath.
- Diligence is a heroic example.
- Token Yuri Girls: Diligence and Temperance.
- Yaoi Guys: Lust and Sloth.
- Heel-Face Turn: Envy, of all people, after Kindness shows him compassion for the first time.
- Also, Puck but he wasn't really evil to begin with.
- Emotionless Boy: Death is considered the coldest of the Four Horsemen.
- No Nudity Taboo: Lust and Sloth.
- Ms. Fanservice: Chastity.
- Big Screwed-Up Family: Greed, Gluttony and Lust. Let's see, they had three different fathers, whom their mother killed to get their fortunes. Greed inherited said fortune, Gluttony became a chef and made delicious food out of horribly, unspeakably disgusting ingredients, and Lust wasted all his money on drugs, prostitutes and strippers.
- Parental Abandonment: Envy.
- Abusive Parents: Humility, as it turns out.
- Military Brat: Diligence.
- Pajama Clad Villain: Sloth.
- Just Like Robin Hood: Charity.
- The Hedonist: LUST.
- Traitor Shot: When the virtues are all running off to fight the sins, Puck stops briefly, looks a little guilty, then keeps going.
- Walking Wasteland: Poor Famine.
- Defeat by Modesty: Humility suffers this when Lust cuts all of his clothes off with a sword. It's kind of funny, until you realize that Lust was planning to RAPE him.
open/close all folders
The Seven Heavenly Virtues
The Virtues as a whole
Humility (Tory Hummel)
"I never wanted to be a hero in the first place!"
The reluctant leader of the Virtues.
Powers and Abilities: None at first. Becomes skilled at various forms of martial arts later.
Charity (Sister Nia)
"Remember what I always say, Tory: 'giving is a virtue'..."
A nun who acts as Humility's second in command. Former leader of the Virtues.
Powers and Abilities: Genius level intellect and skilled in martial arts.
"H-hello...m-my name is Ashley."
One of the Virtues, later captured by the Sins as bait.
Powers and Abilities: Care Bear Stare
"PREPARE YOURSELVES FOR THE THRILL OF A LIFETIME!"
The muscle of the Virtues.
Powers and Abilities: "SUPERPOWERS ARE FOR WIMPS WHO DON'T BELIEVE IN THEIR OWN ABILITIES!!!!
The pacifist of the Virtues.
Powers and Abilities: Spiritual energy, skills in martial arts.
"Wake up, you lazy bums! We have work to do!"
The Virtue's hard working strategist.
Powers and Abilities: Skilled sharpshooter, varying combat skills and army experience.
"Someday I'll meet someone who'll love me!"
The hyper Love Freak
of the group and the idealist.
Powers and Abilities: The Power of Love
"Hey Tory! How long were you planning on hiding these cute girls from me?"
Humility's best friend who found out about the Virtues by accident and fell head over heels for Chastity. Becomes the techie of the group. Becomes a Double Agent for the Sins after Pride tricks him into believing that he could gain Chastity's love through them
Powers and Abilities: Genius level intellect with technology.
Charity's pet pterodactyl and the Virtue's scout and messenger.
Powers and Abilities: Flight and enhanced eyesight.
"I always have time."
The ruler of time itself.
Powers and abilities: Can control and manipulate time.
"Sometimes, I even question myself..."
A priest from Father Philips' Corrupt Church
and a Spanner in the Works
. Secretly in love with a witch named Melissa.
Powers and Abilities: None.
Patience's adoptive father.
Powers and Abilities: Spiritual energy and skilled in martial arts.
"I'm a good witch."
A witch hiding from Father Phillips.
Powers and abilities: Magic.
Several supernatural childhood icons who ally with the Virtues a few times
"Ho ho ho!"
"Made you look!"
"I'LL HIDE AN EGG DOWN YOUR THROAT!!!"
- I Am Not Shazam: In-universe; According to her, there is no Easter Bunny. The embodiment of Easter is actually a chicken. Being mistaken for the Easter Bunny annoys her greatly.
Easter Chicken: Oh here we go! Everyone comparing me to that nonexistent rabbit!
Humility: I'm sorry...it's just that...
Easter Chicken: Look kid, use your brain. What does the Easter "Bunny" hide?
Easter Chicken: Exactly! And what kind of eggs?
Humility: Chicken eggs?
Easter Chicken: Right! Now think kid. Where is an Easter BUNNY going to get CHICKEN eggs?
- Gossipy Hens: Literally!
"You want me gold? You're gonna have to catch me first!"
"On my holiday, you get presents for eight days!"
"Cupid knows who falls in love with who!"
"I see my shadow!"
The Seven Deadly Sins
The Sins as a whole
Pride (Quincey Su Perbia)
"Everyone will bow to me one day."
The leader of the Sins and a former stage magician.
Powers and Abilities: Magic and influence.
Greed/Avarice (Richard Gold)
"Everything you see, is MINE!"
The brains behind the Sins, who's hoping to help his sick fiancee.
Powers and Abilities: Genius level intellect, a magical, all-seeing monocle, and influence.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive
- Well-Intentioned Extremist
- Lawful Evil
- Affably Evil
- Adorkable: In his youth, he was an awkward, geeky, badly-dressed young man with No Social Skills.
- High-Class Glass
- The Dragon and The Evil Genius
- Pet the Dog: He genuinely loves his fiancee.
- Blonde Guys Are Evil
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Gluttony and Lust.
- Aristocrats Are Evil
- Youngest Child Wins: He alone ended up inheriting their mother's fortune. Since Gluttony decided to become a chef instead, and Lust wasted all his money on drugs and prostitutes, this isn't really surprising.
- Badass in a Nice Suit
- Fashion-Victim Villain: In his youth, he was described as wearing "a clean white T-shirt, a pair of blue jeans, sandals, and glasses".
- It's All About Me: He loves Maria but he's less concerned with her dying and more with her not loving him.
- Money Fetish / Screw the Rules, I Have Money!
Envy (Norbert Lee Viathon)
"I HATE EVERYONE!"
A perpetually mistreated Sin.
Powers and Abilities: Master sharpshooter.
Gluttony (Chef Dee Vore)
"Who cares? I just want food!"
The gourmet of the Sins and Pride's personal chef.
Powers and Abilities: Enhanced strength, distend-able mouth and gut.
Wrath (Private Satara Ratton)
"Kill kill kill kill kill kill kill..."
The Sins muscle.
Powers and Abilities: Fearsome strength and military experience.
Sloth (Louis Lacker)
The lethargic Sin.
Powers and Abilities: Marionette Master
. Also has super speed and genius level intellect, but is unwilling to use them
Lust (Asmond Rose)
"A perfect specimen. You have a great body, and possibly other characteristics..."
The deviant of the Sins.
Powers and Abilities: A shapeshifter and a Master Swordsman
"Richy, I don't like you hanging out with such unsavory characters."
Powers and Abilities: None.
Pride's pet snake.
Powers and Abilities: Poison fangs, heat sensitive vision, enhanced sense of smell.
A corrupt priest who was tempted with promises of power by Pride.
Powers and Abilities: None.
A nun who works for Father Phillips
Powers and Abilities: None.
"Don't you love the feeling of schadenfreude?"
A young sorcerer who tends to team up with Envy.
Powers and Abilities: Bad luck magic.
"I will always be loyal to master Quincey."
Pride's creepy as heck Opposite-Sex Clone
Powers and Abilities: Magic and enhanced strength.
A mysterious man who works with the Sins. Actually Puck in disguise
Powers and Abilities: None, ironically
The Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse
The Horsemen as a whole
"Move out, everyone!"
The somewhat cocky leader of the Horsemen.
Powers and Abilities: Enhanced strength, tactical genius.
The muscle of the Horsemen.
Powers and Abilities: Enhanced strength.
"Everything decays eventually..."
The unfortunate member of the Horsemen.
Powers and Abilities: Whatever he touches rots.
The Grim Reaper
"Death is the one reality."
and the brains of the group.
Powers and Abilities: Powerful magic, omniscience
, can see the future, can control whether or not someone dies.
"Yes, master Death..."
Death's morose companion.
Powers and Abilities: Sonic screech/scream, flight, ability to shapeshift into a bird, powerful oracle powers.