It's Everything meets
Everyone in our universe presides over a mysterious nether-universe, in which magical schoolgirls
, heavily-armed battling robots
, and warriors beyond compare
are a reality. This place is the Omniverse
. Presided over by a being called "Ultima Apotheos"
, the Omniverse strains and groans in pain as its authors put everything and everyone through a veritable hell of an experience. There is no escape from the torture, short of being lost within irrelevance. As long as you remain in the gaze of the gods, your very existence is to be their plaything
Many great legends have risen up to stand against the Powers That Be
. The greatest of these is Tobias Erikson
, a character created by the Ultima Apotheos itself, designed as the ultimate Mary Sue
. Turning from his wicked ways
, Tobias fought against the Ultima Apotheos, but he lost. Others are rising up to follow in his stead, but they are all destined for failure
Powers from all across the fictional spectrum rise up against the Ultima Apotheos. Try as they may though, there is nothing they can do but pray for mercy. The darkest days of your existence begin the moment that the eyes of the Ultima Apotheos reach your world. You may receive mercy, but your lives will be a plaything to the whims of those who walk beyond.
This work illustrates the following Tropes:
- All Just a Dream: Good luck waking up from it, though...
- Anyone Can Die: Unfortunately, even though death applies to everyone, you don't get Killed Off for Real until Ultima Apotheos is bored with you.
- Applied Phlebotinum: So much that "phlebotinum" itself is referred to, by that very term, as the techno-arcane fuel that drives the Omniverse. It is the one substance whose very existence separates our world from theirs. (Unless all the stuff about God being all-powerful is really true...)
- Big Bad: The closest thing that exists to a coherent, consistent bad guy is Dncyltr. Sure he flips and flops all over the place, but the general consensus is that he's the guy you want to defeat. (He also has a One-Winged Angel form, complete with attack names such as "Elohim's Fury" (an attack that immolates the soul) and "Gaze of the I AM" (a dimension-killing Wave Motion Gun with angel motifs).
- Crystal Dragon Jesus: Ultima Apotheos. To the point where it even exists in three parts: Tsubasa, Goddess of Impulse, The Starchild, God of Infinite Knowledge, and Triton, God of Unstoppable Power.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Some of the most dangerous characters are those who realize what they're a part of. The most dangerous of the dangerously genre savvy characters are called Voidwalkers.
- Deadpan Snarker: So many lines reek of a snarkiness more at home in something from Joss Whedon:
- "The way to a man's heart is through his sternum."
- "Be it ever so humble, there's no place like Hole-in-the-Wall."
- "Pain, suffering, cookies... you get the idea."
- Earn Your Happy Ending: The only "paradise" is to be ignored.
- Expy: And the characters all know it. That, or they're original Mary Sues.
- Failure Is the Only Option: No matter what, the fictional characters will never defeat their enemy in a lasting way. Fortunately, there are alternatives.
- Fetish Fuel: Once you realize that the self-insert fics you write all come true in a certain dimension, even the sky is no limit!
- God Is Evil
- God-Mode Sue: Tobias Erikson, also known as "The Pariah". His motivation to Take a Level in Badass?: "My name is Tobias Erikson. You killed my parents. Prepare for annihilation, bitch!"
- Hurt/Comfort Fic: At some point, everybody is The Woobie.
- Jump the Shark: From the get-go. Deliberately. It wouldn't be on Darth Wiki otherwise.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Originally, assembling the Ultima Apotheos was the ultimate goal of the good guys, such that the bad guys would stop at nothing to keep it from happening. And for a little while, the Ultima Apotheos actually was one of the good guys. But it got worse after the Face-Heel Turn. Oh God... what have they done?!?!
- No Fourth Wall: Move over, Deadpool!
- No Periods, Period: None of the female characters... y'know... ever.
- Retcon: If this happens to you, entire chapters of your life could be lost forever!
- Also, due to the copyright-whoring nature of Science and Sorcery, in order to reveal parts of it to others, the author has had to purge years worth of work on it. Only the scarcest details of the original remain.
- Self-Parody: A fic that raises concerns about the impact of bad fanfiction on the fictional universe also serves as the most destructive fanfiction to the fictional universe.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: Heavily cynical at the start of each story arc, but more idealistic as the bad guys are defeated. Unfortunately, there's a whiplash effect each time a Big Bad falls in that the Author allowed it to happen.
- So Bad, It's Good: Depends entirely on your mileage... assuming this thing ever goes public...
- Sorting Algorithm of Evil: Often played straight, but occasionally subverted when the characters hit the top-tier bad guys. At this point, the threat is then personalized, yanked back down, and then stepped up into progressively larger (and eventually cosmic) entities.
- Take That: If you write Fanfiction, you are exploiting the lives, hopes, fears, and emotions of actual beings! So think before you slash, chew, kill, and so on...
- Oh, and You Suck if you do any of these things in your fanfiction.
- Things Man Was Not Meant to Know: Fictional characters really don't need to be told that they don't really exist. Many a Heroic BSOD ensues when they figure it out. (But when they finally come to terms with the truth, they usually Take a Level in Badass, get an immediate promotion to The Lancer, and receive a bus pass that allows them to leave the Five-Man Band in order to traverse the Omniverse for an answer.)
- Transformation Sequence: "Soul of Heroes!" Rule of Cool.
If there's a bad fan fic trope (that doesn't involve syntax) that hasn't yet been listed, not only does Science and Sorcery illustrate it, but it will also be the patron saint of said trope.