Not really, I just suck at titles. Anyway...
Acey Larson begins his freshman year at Joy High East as a hotheaded, cocky student Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life
. Parker Cale, his seventeen-year-old peer counselor is a loner and observer, who knows Joy High East inside and out. While he shows Acey the ropes around Joy High East, with the help of Cassie Aarons, a college student and librarian
, and Parker's longtime friend
. Acey and Parker forge the closest possible friend ship
Meanwhile, Acey joins the football team. This year Markus Kindel, the team captain, is treating the football rivalry between Joy High East and Joy High West like a war, partially because Markus's longtime crush, beautiful JHE cheerleader Reed is having an affair with JHW Coach French
Over at JHW, Coach French and team captain Tory are responding in kind, and the rivalry becomes more intense. His team has a new player as well, Penny Seeley
readers will note that this plot is totally ripped off from The Iliad
. This is because What seems to be an ordinary high school is actually the underworld. Every character is actually the soul of one of the The Iliad's characters, suffering from a severe case of Ghost Amnesia.
Soon, little things around Joy High East begin to go wrong
wrong. A student attempts a suicide that nobody could have survived, and lives through it.
Cassie begins hallucinating visions and voices. And something about one of the new teachers isn't quite right...
Acey investigates, dragging Parker, Cassie, and soon Penny as well along with him, and as they investigate, gaps begin to appear in their memories, getting worse the more they investigate.
Acey and Parker eventually discover Their actual identities as Achilles and Patroclus, and their high school's actual location: the border between the Elysian fields and the pits of Tartarus. And just because Hades has one thing planned for Elysium, infodump and redundancy doesn't mean Thanatos and his furies in Tartarus don't have other things planned. Now, Acey, Parker, Penny, and Cassie know too much, and must avoid being killed Deader than Dead or taken to Tartarus themselves, and keep the Furies from achieving Under World Domination.
Acey Larson Achilles
Parker Cale Patroclus
Cassie Aarons Cassandra
Penny Seeler Penthesilea
- Action Girl (Is into football, as well as more extreme sports)
- Genki Girl
- Boisterous Bruiser
- In Harm's Way (The extreme sports)
- You Go Girl
- The Big Guy
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished (Averted, she has several scars on one knee at the beginning of the story, and gets even more scarred after she escapes from Tartarus.)
- Good Scars, Evil Scars (Averted. See above)
- Real Women Never Wear Dresses (averted, she loves dresses, and her favorite color is pink)
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy
- Combat Sadomasochist
- To Hell and Back, leading to:
- Too Kinky to Torture: (Zig-Zagged: On the one hand, she likes pain a little too much, but on the other hand, she certainly didn't enjoy her experiences in Tartarus, but after she gets better at the end, she fits pretty squarely into this trope)
- Ambiguously Brown
Coach Kindel Agamemnon
Markus Kindel Menelaus
Coach French Paris
Reed Helen of Troy
- Ontological Mystery
- Shout-Out: Parker has a moment of Sarcasm Failure and is asked "What's wrong Parker? No quick comeback?," Reed in a long red dress looks a bit like Jessica Rabbit, Joy High School references Ode to Joy, Paulina has read The Handmaid's Tale and is a fan of Joss Whedon)
- Fanservice/Fetish Fuel: Both male-oriented and female-oriented fanservice. Unsurprisingly, considering it's by me.
- Foreshadowing - Joy High School is in Elysium
- Affirmative Action Girls - Penny and Paulina's characters didn't appear in The Iliad, but I couldn't keep myself from writing in some badass Action Girls anyway
- Badass - Acey, Parker, Penny, Paulina, Markus, Tory
- Character Development
- Ho Yay - Some Penny/Paulina and Acey/Parker Subtext The latter of which becomes text
- Second Love (Acey is Parker's second love, Parker is Acey's second serious love.
- Queer Romance: Well, it is by me.
- Cast of Snowflakes - When I draw them
- The Reveal - If you want to know, highlight the spoilers below
- Ghost Amnesia: Everyone who isn't a fury or a god
- Classical Mythology
- Identity Amnesia: Also everyone, due to the waters of Lethe
- Easy Amnesia: What the waters of Lethe do
- Empty Shell: In great enough quantities, Lethe can also do this
- Setting Update: How the afterlife works
- This is the ending, you may not want it spoiled
- Dead All Along - Also everyone
- I Am Who?
- Reincarnation Romance - Acey and Parker, minus the reincarnation part.
- Meaningful Name:
- Penny Seeler = Penthesilea
- Acey Larson = Achilles
- Parker Cale = Patroclus
- Cassie Aarons = Cassandra
- Markus Kindel = Menelaus
- Tory = Hector
- Paulina = Hippolyta
- Name meanings
- Helen is Greek for Reed
- Agamemnon means resolute, as does Kindel
- Punny Names
- Significant Anagrams