Darth Wiki: Counterpoint
James Bond in SPACE!
This work contains examples of:
- The Ace: Daniel is a Bond expy, after all.
- Action Girl: Sarah Eaton, telekinetic and Fed agent. She's also badass enough to deflect bullets with a katana.
- Aliens in Cardiff: Or rather, Imperial Capital in Salem, Oregon.
- Bond One-Liner:
- (after pushing pursuing agents into a river) "Apologies for being a wet blanket."
- Ceiling Cling: Daniel manages to pull this on the bottom of a train, after being shoved onto the tracks. Later on, Sarah does the same.
- Dramatic Space Drifting
- Fantastic Racism
- Future Slang
- Gambit Pileup
- Gratuitous French: Sarah is fond of this.
- Bilingual Backfire: Daniel speaks French too.
- Groin Attack: Sarah delivers a satisfying one to Saunders.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Lampshaded: "It's ironic. You once swore you'd never get involved with a redhead."
- How We Got Here: It starts with a scene that occurs about 3/4ths of the way in, a proposal between the two main characters—which Sarah runs away from and Daniel shouts at her to stop. When we do indeed get there, it turns out he was telling her to stop because he wanted to give her something to help her succeed in her mission.
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: Chelsea tells Daniel this.
- Indy Ploy: Daniel's response to being told that if he makes a jump without a gate, they won't be able to stop, is "We'll figure it out."
- Locking MacGyver in the Store Cupboard: Or rather, throwing a telekinetic into a sword shop.
- Katanas Are Just Better
- Meaningful Background Event: During a confrontation between security agents and two of the main characters in a crowded spaceport, some pirates kidnap a random passenger. Tellingly, no one notices, especially not the ubiquitous security.
- Normally, I Would Be Dead Now: After slowing the freefalling elevator with psychokinesis.
"Shouldn't we be dead right now?""Yeah."
- Oh My Gods!: "Sha Iyhara!"
- Psychic Powers: the protagonists both have telekinesis.
- Railing Kill: To a neighbor of Sarah's named Reiling.
- Space Opera: plus Tuxedo and Martini.
- Stealth Pun: Word of God says that Reiling's Significant Name was completely unintentional. See Railing Kill above.
- Steven Ulysses Perhero: Parodied with a cover ID. Daniel gives his name as Martin Gary Stewart only to be met with an incredulous "And I'm Mary Sue Smith." A bit later on, they get the cover IDs "Maria Suzanya Stuvarta" and "Martin Yuri Stuvart."
Sarah: I see what she did there.
- Interestingly enough, the names don't work in Russian. Word of God states that a revision will call this out.
- Space Pirates:
Daniel: We should be so lucky.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Vadiri.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Sarah casually breaks a pickpocket's arm.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Lex