- After the End: The world is largley an empty ruin filled with people who are really lacking in hope.
- Action Girl: Pretty much whole female cast
- Anyone Can Die
- Bishōnen: Arden & Anders definitely. Lampshaded by Arden early on. Kuroka maybe, prior of course to the "incident".
- Curse of Babel: partial, during the "endzeit" revolution the english language was completly encoded to the point where anytime anyone tried to speak or write it their minds could only spew out code. This meant the loss of the universal language and furthered the splintering off of the world.
- Crapsack World: There's not much you can do to make things any better, more apparent later on.
- Designer Babies: The Synthetics
- Despair Event Horizon: The nation of Japan experiences one of these in the summer of 2049, it was nicknamed "The Summer of dead children". 2.4 million kids between the ages of 1-8 died between June and August.
- Driven to Suicide: Arden
- Evilutionary Biologist: Subverted, the development of Artifical Humans was a nessecity to deal with the increasingly complex world around them. Time and time again they tried to improve the technology and make the process as humane and benefical as possible. However, the moment things start going wrong they get labled as this.
- Foe Yay: Arden & Anders, it's inevitable
- Knight Templar: Arden is a modern example who "seems" more reasonable on the surface.
- Multinational Team: The Five-Man Band includes Dutch, German, Nigerian, Japanese and American members.
- Playing with Syringes
- The Quiet One - Elrysia
- Scavenger World
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Kuroka is a straight example. Played with however with the "Ghosts of War" where you have elderly veterans running around fighting as if the war never actually ended. They essential revert back to the mindset of a drugged up gung-ho soldier on the frontlines.
- Team Mom: Subverted, many of Maiko's fellow Mech pilots saw here as one of these. They were very, very wrong.
Darth Wiki / Beneath The Remains
An Ametur sci-fi, adenture story written by troper Drake Dark Hunter.Set in 2146 After the End of the world by social revolution. Various "Collectives" named after their founders seek to reestablish order and communication in a world largely populated within small independent hamlets and towns. These collectives often face challanges in convincing these villages to join their collective and send diplomats to them to smooth out the process. The actions undertaken however can be rather "morally questionable."Not only that but along with these collectives are various anarchist groups (largely filled with artifical humans called "synthetics") who intentionally prevent the rise of large groups and seek to further fragment humanity. They feel that if humanity becomes unified it will only lead to another apocolyptic event that will finish out the survivors.Representing each of these camps are our respective pro and antagonists. Arden Meyers and Anders Stanne. Arden was born without a sense of sight, smell or hearing but through "gods" help he is able to experience all these things. A seemingly plesent young man he has an Well-Intentioned Extremist side to him that underscores a signficant level of hypocrisy in his way of thinking. He serves the "Schmier" collective and acts as a diplomat who tries to get people to join him... or die.The series provides examples of: