A comic series in the works by troper Commander Jay
, it hasn't gotten off the ground at all, with the exception of a couple of pictures.
The titular squad, or A.S.S
, is a group of aerial soldiers
fighting for the Great War Of Insect Civilization
, often just called the Great Insect War. It should be mentioned that their leader is a insane praying mantis who enjoys ripping enemy soldier's heads off
. So yeah, they're pretty dysfunctional.
This war is fought on two sides: The Allied Countries of Fair Insects (wasps, bees, moths, butterflies, dragonflies, mantises) and the Central Empire of Annoying Insects (Cockroaches, silverfish, mosquitoes, houseflies, parasites). The CEAI is lead by Max Von Mcbaron, a cockroach with a top hat and mustache.
The current list of tropes:
- Ace Pilot: The Aerial Special Squad. Although they don't really fly planes...
- Airborne Mook: Houseflies, dragonflies, mosquitoes, ect.
- Colonel Kilgore: Baltic.
- Cool Airship: Max owns one. It's how most of his army gets around, too.
- Dastardly Whiplash: Max.
- Glory Hound: Bishop, so much. He doesn't mind putting the other members in danger, especially Solitaire.
- Iron Butt Monkey: Solitaire, who often puts himself through danger to help the others and is the one with the most kills in the squad, has never gotten a single medal. And yet, he happily fights along anyways.
- Jerk Ass: Bishop.
- No One Gets Left Behind: Subverted with Bishop. See Glory Hound above.
- Only Sane Men: Solitare and Taboo in the whole series.
- Rebel Leader: Taboo.
- Redshirt Army: Both sides, with the exceptions of the squads and other
- Strange Salute: Sticking your thumb up for the ACFI. For the CEAI, it's making a triangle with your fingers.
- Unfortunate Implications: The Aerial Special Squad, or A.S.S.
- Zerg Rush: Used by both sides. Actually, battling these is the squad's job.