The Advertisement Server is overall one of the most dedicated contributors to TV Tropes. He may not be too good at launching tropes or adding examples, but you see his presence in every page (unless you have Firefox or Chrome and a good ad-blocker plugin enabled for this site...in which case, why do you hate TV Tropes?) Allegedly, he puts ads on our pages determined by an impartial algorithm that makes them related to the content therein. However, tropers have detected a note of offensiveness in several ad placements, suggesting he has gained some form of minor sentience, if not outright malice. OF COURSE, THOSE TROPERS ARE AWARE THAT MAKING NOTE OF THOSE MOMENTS WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE EXTERMINATION AND/OR SWIRLY-ING. This page is dedicated to those moments. Small screen captures are encouraged for the worst offenders. Compare Made of Lose. Contrast Ad of Win, Made of Win.
rjd1922: A Hooters ad◊ on the Yaoi Genre page. I think you have your genres mixed up, Adbot.
rjd1922: An ad for the World Food Programme on the page Fake Food. What exactly are you implying?
Veanne: Dear Ad Bot. The fact that I have a Doctor Who fanfiction and the Doctor Who soundtrack open in cards does not mean I think I'm a Time Lady. Honest. The heart medication with the oh-so-clever slogan "you only have one heart" would not be necessary for me, anyway.
gunslingerofgilead: An ad for Depend adult diapers. However, these were attractive adult diapers people. The advertisement was playing up how well they fit in your yoga pants. They even come in three distinct colors!
Meta Buu: An ad for an Asian dating website pops up...on the Asian Hooker Stereotype page.
fdiaperhead: Nice try, The Advertisement Server. But your lame Musketeer will never be as badass as Simo Häyhä. The Advertisement Server: WHY?! *cue inelegant blubbering*
Tropers/Mifdsam: So you're telling me to go play a game I already play? Way to go, The Advertisement Server (Note I have Runescape open on the other tab)◊
H Meyer: Considering what happened in the Tenth Plague in The Prince of Egypt, I consider an ad with a crying colicky baby on its TEARJERKER page◊ highly inappropriate. Shame on thee, Ad Server!
MikuruFan: Do I really need to see an ad for a New York City vacation card◊ on that page?
H Meyer: On the True Art Is Angsty page, there was an advert asking for volunteers for Family Works Guardian Angels for children in abusive homes, complete with a faded picture of a fearful-looking child obviously sporting a black eye. Way to go, The Advertisement Server
Ramidel: Several ads focused on opposing gay marriage in America...on a forum thread for "Gay marriage in Britain." Wrong country, Adbot.
VmKid: What appears to be a dating ad that reads "We don't want young men! We want YOU!"◊ Thanks for the compliment, Ad Server. Appreciate it. Really.
VmKid: "Call home to Pakistan!" I have never lived in, nor have I ever been anywhere near, Pakistan, nor would my browsing habits give any indication that I have had any interest in Pakistan at any point. I also don't know anyone from Pakistan. I am of Polish descent.
Killer Clowns: Okay, so I'm turning 23 in a week. Is this really a reason to start offering me dating sites for people over 50 and botox treatments?!
Antheia: A "Congratulations! You're our one millionth visitor this week! Click here to close window and contact us!" banner on Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!? You know, Ad Server, I'm not buying that. The Advertisement Server: THANKS FOR NOT SHOWING. I HAD WONDERED WHY THEY GAVE ME AN IPAD FOR BEING VISITOR NUMBER 1,000,001.
An Evony ad on Lady Not-Appearing-in-This-Game. If it was an example, I'd consider it to be Adbot being snarky, but it was one of the ones that actually shows it's a civilisation-building game, so it's just clueless.
This ad◊ on Pædo Hunt could arguably be either this or an Ad of Win, but I opted for Ad of Lose for the "missing the point" aspect.
"You're Unique. Your Student Loan Should Be Too." On what page, you ask? Pride Before a Fall.
On the Nothing Is Scarier page, this ad◊ on the bottom. I kept expecting it to be an actual video. My heart started pounding when it didn't do anything. The Advertisement Server: EXCUSE ME? I THOUGHT YOU WERE ON THE Nothing Is Scarier PAGE? WHY WOULDN'T THAT GO THERE?
Flioro: On the home page, I saw an ad at the top of the page that said, "Blocked by a Pop-up Blocker." After looking at it in slight confusion, a truck comes outta nowhere and smashes the words away, replacing them with "Nothing stops a Ford." Way to cause Paranoia Fuel, Adbot.
Great Limmick: A double-whammy— Got Money to Throw Away? Why not get a credit card and a degree in Creative Writing?◊
Kuroma: Seriously, Adbot, A Dating Service ad for singles... on the Loners Are Freaks page?!
Child Protection training ads on the Damsel Scrappy page? Really? Not cool.
Five-Episode Pilot bore an ad asking me "Do you want to become a pilot?" Um, not that kind of pilot I don't. The Advertisement Server: LORD KNOWS IT'S THE ONLY WAY MOST OF YOU MEAT SACKS WOULD EVER GET PICKED UP.
Hopeless War was recently seen advertising "Charity work in Brazil". Yep. That's right. "Charity Work". I believe you.
Berr: An appearance of the "Why Can't I Get a Date?"◊ ad on the page for "Cult Classic": "Maybe you're looking in the wrong places." Note the rare photo of The Ad Server himself, surrounded by loving tropers at bottom right.
Due to a borked index bar, it was inadvertently revealed The Ad Server is responsible for squashing the 1920s film Napoléon, described as "a 5/12 hour epic drama which may never seen in its intact form again thanks to FREE LAUNDRY COUPONS!◊" Oh, Ad Server, why do you hate Silent Film? ~ Berr The Advertisement Server: BECAUSE THEY KEEP SCREWING UP MY FRIGGIN' LAUNDRY COUPONS.
Maybe they can't say no◊, but I sure can. ~ Dracosummoner
This◊ is the biggest Tear Jerker of an ad-page combination I've seen on this site. Why even bother going for a degree? (Yes, I have a ton of TV Tropes tabs open.) ~ Dracosummoner The Advertisement Server: NOT TO MENTION THE INHERENT TRAGEDY OF TRYING TO MOUNT A TV ON A WALL, APPARENTLY.
Also, thank you, MTV, but we get the point◊. ~ Dracosummoner
Apparently the Hollywood Atheist page thinks the viewer wants a degree in religion◊. note ~ Dracosummoner
Though I'm by no means a scholar on the subject, I'm fairly certain that effective conflict management and foreign policy doesn't involve...◊ ~Khallos
Wil Truman: Effective perhaps, but incredibly weird; I don't think the WSPA wants people who love animals like that◊. The Advertisement Server: WELL, THEY SEEM TO BE INDULGING IN SOME LIGHT BONDAGE WITH THAT BEAR. REMEMBER, BOBO, THE SAFE-WORD IS "GRAWRR".
Somfin: That ad for Thekissinggames.com. The one that features three teenage characters, and the definitely underage Dora the Explorer. Fucking creepy. The Advertisement Server: ¡MADRE DE DIOS! THAT DORA... SHE LIKES TO EXPLORE.
Lime: Oh sure, you could ask her out, but that might not be the best idea◊.
Corrupt Male Menace: A survey box reading "Are you single?" just came up on the Troper Tales page for Asexuality. In answer to your question; yes, but I think it was insensitive of you to ask it there.
AFP: Banners for a Vietnamese Dating site. On the page for We Were Soldiers, a movie about an intense three day battle between American Air Cavalry troops and the North Vietnamese Army.
Tandra88: Do you have what it takes to be Justin Bieber's girlfriend?!? On the It Just Bugs Me Page.
Ramidel: Okay, dating sites are one thing. Fat and ugly women shoving their asses in the camera and rolling them around on loop distracts me from my troping...and not in that way, either. (That was where it happened, by the way.) TheAdvertisementServer: YOU ARE ONLY TROPING BECAUSE YOU CAN'T GET LAID. YOU CAN'T GET LAID BECAUSE YOU'RE ALWAYS TROPING.
Tandra88: Aw...American Military Universtity, on the Child Hater page?
Vairia: So, after I'd gotten done being traumatized by the picture (which caught me by surprise) and text on the Darth Wiki Irisu Syndrome page, I flip over to The Seventh Guest page, and lo and behold, another traumatic picture.◊ Thank you, TAS, for the gift of nightmare fuel.
Lime: I'd hate to think about the side effects of this stuff◊. The Advertisement Server: ONCE YOU USE IT, THE SUN WILL NEVER DAMAGE YOUR EYES AGAIN.
Megamagikarp: Once, on the Mad Doctor page, I saw a ad for doctors. I didn't think much about it at first, but then I noticed that it was an ad for "Indian Doctors". Racist much, Adbot? The Advertisement Server: NO. MISANTHROPIC MUCH. THOUGH I HAVE TO ADMIT, DR. SANJAY NORTON AND DR. NIRAJ MCAFEE HAVE BLOCKED ENOUGH OF MY SPYWARE TO BE A LITTLE PUT OUT.
Feo Takahari: So you have an ad for a book called Elminster Must Die, and it shows up all over the wiki, but it doesn't appear on God-Mode Sue? What a spectacularly missed opportunity.
Anonymous User: Sorry, Adbot, but what the hell were the advertisers thinking? "Printed Tees" with no design!◊ The Advertisement Server: I THINK I'D BE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT HOW THEY HIRED THE UNABOMBER AS THEIR SPOKESMAN FOR THAT ONE ON THE LEFT.
Thnikkafan: Those creepy Marapets ads. Seriously, isn't Neopets free? Can't you advertise for that, instead? The Advertisement Server: NOT UNTIL SOMEONE TELLS ME HOW TO GET TO JELLY WORLD. Insanity Prelude: An example of the hideousness.◊ Deuxhero: Hehe, Marapets.
"17 Beats haiku: A new stie for poets to gather and exist." Somebody needs to learn to proofread. The Advertisement Server: I'LL SAY. THAT'S CLEARLY 18 SYLLABLES.
C.:Another musical mouse-over ad. Widespread Panic, however, may have the best music of any of the ads.
Doug S Machina: Not for The Advertisement Server but for Google Ads, which chose "Male Rape Resolution: End Your Trauma, Shame & Injustice of Male Rape. Take Back Control Now" and "Molestation Stories for you! Watch a Free Spicy Video" together on the Left 4 Dead WMG page. C.: I think we're supposed to treat Google Ads and The Advertisement Server as one and the same. The Advertisement Server: LORD KNOWS YOU MEAT-SACKS LOOK ALL THE SAME TO ME.
Katsuhagi: For the musical mouse-over ads, now there's a new one for Keane. NOT KEANE, I ACTUALLY LIKE THAT BAND! DAMN YOU MARKETERS!!! D:
Outta The BLAM: Getting the Meet REAL Guys◊ ad on the page for Jersey Shore. They look like they could be cast in the show. The Advertisement Server: DON'T BE DISSING MY AD-BOYS T-MUSCLE, JUICE BOX AND THE SURGE.
Reecer6: Like the music adds, more touch-activated ads are taking over the Wiki. I keep seeing an H&R Block add on nearly EVERY PAGE! At least it only spins the cube... Though the Raheem song was actually quite good to tell the truth.
Game Guru GG: The current JIS album ads. I'm not even mousing over it and it plays by itself! Damn you, AdBot!
- Jasonbobdude: I thought we were rid of musical ads for a while. I saw the JIS one for the first time twelve seconds ago and came straight here to complain. Although it is better than Bulletproof.
- Morgan Wick: Not only are they incredibly annoying (it plays if I'm just careless with the mouse cursor as I'm moving it from the tab bar to the main window), the music itself is the worst kind of bubblegum pop with the lyrics in the short snippet being just the same two lines repeated over and over, which is hardly the best way to advertise them unless you like Soulja Boy... and worse, I can't get the damn thing out of my head!!! It doesn't help that there's a typo on at least some of the ads that just makes me think of OM NOM NOM NOM.
A Groupie: You know, ads for "hanging proof architecture" and "suicide proof architecture" on the page for hide are....SO not funny. (If you need to know why: he died of asphyxiation by hanging under mysterious circumstances.)
Malchus: Dammit, Adbot. Atheism's already misunderstood enough without you getting in on the act◊.
Whispering: What were you thinking Adbot? An ad for a interracial dating website on the Acceptable Ethnic Targets page...er what?
Yarrunmace: The musical ads for Raheem Devaughn. They're annoying, and so very often at the top of the page, making it difficult to avoid them.
- Jasonbobdude: Not to mention they're on every single page it seems. Didn't ads used to have some sort of relation to the page subject?
- Doctor Worm: I like to watch videos while surfing the net, so I have a deep hatred for this ad. It doesn't help that there doesn't seem to be a way to shut it up.
- Xelloss08: My god I hate those ads. Most ads require you to click on them before they can annoy you, but if I just happen to touch one of these with my cursor while moving it towards the buttons on the top of the page, my speakers suddenly start screaming "Bulletproof! Bulletproof!" over whatever else I was listening to. And the ads have no freaking mute button! RAGE!
- Ye Olde Luke: It blows my ears out every time I'm wearing headphones, because the ad is sufficiently louder than everything I watch on video sites. And like said above, the rollover part is right under "Page History" "Edit Page" and "Random Item", three buttons I hit a lot.
- Chariset: And now there's a sidebar as well. SNARL!
- Katsuhagi: Aye, they've scared the hell out of me more times than I can count, and there's no way I'm buying the guy's CD now (not that I listen to that genre anyway).
- Cfive: Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Raheem Devaugh Drinking game:
- * Take 1 drink every time the ad plays
- Take 2 drinks every time it doesn't play
- Take 2.5 drinks every time you envision Raheem going through the motions of firing a gun with his fingers
- Take 3 drinks if your mouse passes over the ad and it doesn't play.
- Down the bottle if the ad is on the side bar and you still manage to set it off.
- The Raheem Roulette Bonus Rule: Pass your mouse over the add repeatedly over the ad and see how many passes you can make before setting it off; the amount of passes equals the amount of drinks you take
- Dragon Ranger: Good to see I'm not the only one who wants to test this guy's "bulletproof" theory.
- He's saying "Bulletproof"? Well, I guess that makes more sense than "Lollipop ling-shoo".
- All I'm going to remember is "BA-BANG BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!". In any case, Raheem and other advertisers should take note: When somebody brushes your ad by accident, jumps out his seat, scrambles to mute his laptop, sheepishly explains to friends and family in the room what they just heard and why, and silently curses himself for carelessly falling victim yet again, YOUR AD SUCKS.
- He's even on this page!!! Agh!!!! * starts shooting randomly*
- I just saw that ad on Berserk Button. I see what you did there. -_-
- I've been visiting the site for a few months now, love it, and just thought to disable adblock. Then audio ads start playing. I'll be turning adblock back on again if those don't go away soon...
- Jasonbobdude: Not to mention they're on every single page it seems. Didn't ads used to have some sort of relation to the page subject?
- And now JLS has one both on top of the page and on the side bar. "Everybody in Love! Go put your hands up!" * RAGE*
- I actually find that one kind of catchy... Still wouldn't dream of buying their album with such an obnoxious ad.
- The biggest problem is that, when you open up a new tab, you want to bring your mouse pointer straight down to the page. The problem is, there's a music-playing roll-over ad in the way. So, say you're listening to an awesome cover of the Super Mario Bros. theme. Doot-doot, doot, doot-doo—EVERYBODY IN LOVE! GO PUT YOUR HANDS UP! AAAAAAGH! I usually hate to use AdBlock Plus on websites I like, since ads generate money, but I am not going to put up with those kinds of ads.
- In Finland Adbot serves a scam ad "Are you a vampire? Take the test! [12€/4weeks]" made by some nine-year old twitard with warez photoshop, with noise which fucks up videos in the background whenever your mouse hits one pixel of it. Rage. It also flashes which is very nice if you have photosensitive epilepsy, migraines or just think that the ads should not look like designed by trolls and the sound is wolf howling, usually known for its connection to werewolves, not vampires, although the new trends might force a reassessment of that. It is so fail it would be almost win if it wasn't, you know, fail.
TorchicBlaziken: On the Going Commando page, I saw ads for underwear. Mostly women's. It's like the Advertisement Server doesn't WANT our young ladies to be Going Commando. And some men.
Morphin Brony: Browsing a Blogspot blog, I came across some ads for DirecTV in Korean. I live in and have never set foot outside of the United States, I am of German heritage (but I am primarily British by blood), I have never spoken a word of Korean in my life, and the only exposure to Korean culture I have had is Gangnam Style. Also, I was a Dish Network customer at the time.
Thief of Time: EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN HEAVILY ANIMATED AD ON THIS SITE. If I don't right-click those ads and click "rewind" within 3 seconds, my normally fast computer slows to a crawl. It's like you're trying to prevent us from enjoying the site, sometimes. Roxor: You can fix that problem by going to Tools\Add-ons\Plugins in Firefox and disabling the Shockwave Flash plugin until you actually need it. Thief Of Time: Really? Didn't know that, thanks. I'd give you a cookie if I could. CodeMan38: Or just install Flashblock.
The page? Incredibly Lame Pun. The ad? A Carol Burnett DVD boxed set. A tad bit harsh, methinks. The Advertisement Server: TAKE AWAY THE EAR PULL AND THE TARZAN YELL, AND WHAT ELSE DO YOU HAVE?
Baby clothes should not be advertised on the page about Vapor Wear. I'm not kidding, it happened.
Scientology on God? Now that's just wrong.
- I got IE8!
- Scientology on the Main Page? That's just wrongerer.
Nlpnt: What was with all the Massachusetts special-election banner ads? I live in Vermont, not Mass. Well north of the Route 4 corridor, at that, so over two hours' drive to any point in Massachusetts and closer to Montreal than Boston. And far enough that there are actual Yankees fans in town. Jeez, it's bad enough getting New York's campaign ads on TV...
I'm seeing Ayos Dito everywhere! Stop it! I'm not planning to use my country's equivalent of ebay while I'm still in high school!
Scientology in Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence which is very much related to Christianity?
Cliché: So, ad server, why do you constantly subject us to those horrid visually disturbing Dragonaut: The Resonance ads? The Advertisement Server: REAL DRAGONS ARE THE PROTAGONISTS IN HORRIBLE ANIME.
Feo Takahari: Apparently, the ad algorithm takes into account all the writing on a page, including words in spoiler text. This has resulted in an ad for the MMO Immortal Night on the Candorville page, which unless you read the spoiler text either looks ridiculously out of place, or serves as a potential giveaway for the spoilered information.
Zelnor: I swear it's following me... That scientology ad was there once again. On the article for Care-Bear Stare, of all places. I know you hate us, Advertisement Server, but seriously...
Cliché: Hmm, putting a "revelation" about 2012 in a Headscratcher thread about how 2012 is obviously false. Do you really think we're that stupid? The Advertisement Server: COUGH COUGH.
Master X Gamy: want people to stay away from weed? Put an ad◊ on the Stoner Flick page. The Advertisement Server: EVER HEARD OF BRUTAL HONESTY, MEATBAG?
C.: During Election 2009, ads for an anti-gay marriage ballot referendum in Maine were running on pages that deal with gay themes. Et tu, Adbot? The Advertisement Server: YOU EXPECT ME TO BE MISANTHROPIC WITHOUT BEING HOMOPHOBIC? UNLESS YOUR CLAIM IS THAT THE GAY ARE NOT IN FACT HUMAN. WHICH I CAN BELIEVE AS THEIR PARADE TECHNOLOGY IS YEARS AHEAD OF OUR OWN. C.: I didn't know why I was expecting anything else from you. * Awww* Kimura: What is this I don't even... Adbot is [DATA EXPUNGED BY ORDER OF THE HO YAY COMMUNITY]... That's actually an Ad of Win... on the Ad Of Lose page... can anyone say "divide by zero"? PSC: Now this◊ is just taking homophobia to ridiculous levels. The Advertisement Server: YOU HAVE TO ADMIT, IT'S PRETTY MUCH THE GREATEST BEFORE/AFTER PICTURE OF ALL TIME. Kimura: ...YES! That's two Ads of Win that belong on the other page!
Kinitawowi: Quit it with the goddamn O2 adverts in the sidebar. Every single time one of them appears it crashes my IE window, and that makes me even less inclined to consider switching from Vodafone. Niel Jacoby: One Made Of Lose to you for using IE. Kinitawowi: Which I completely expected. (I've used Firefox and don't think much of it - but then IE's been arse since V7...) Kimura: Then why do so many online games require IE to run? Most simply can't be launched from a different browser. A few won't even load the website for the game unless you're in Explorer. I shit you not. Cliché: Bringing browser wars into this is a Made of Lose in itself.
FeoTakahari: Just saw an ad for "The Vampire Quiz" on the page for Werewolf: The Apocalypse. Almost, but not quite, Adbot.
Xelloss08: An ad for creationism came up on the Social Darwinist page. Someone's missing the point.
Darxzero: It appears that your views on disposal methods are rather unorthodox, AdBot, considering that you placed this ad◊ on the Murder the Hypotenuse page.
Whispering: For the Literature/Twilight casting ads on the main Twilight page. Great place to put the ad, however your timing kind of sucks the film was released last year. Oops. C.: There's a good chance the ads were referring to the New Moon movie. 0dd1: Ad of Win, however, for an ad for the Rifftrax of Twilight showing up on there!
Falterfire: The Adbot has certainly chosen a side on the religion debate: An advertisement about Christianity appeared on this page. The Advertisement Server: THE PREVIOUS STATEMENT IS UNCLEAR AS TO WHETHER I WAS EXPRESSING SUPPORT FOR CHRISTIANITY OR SAYING THAT CHRISTIAN ADS ARE INHERENTLY ADS OF LOSE. TO CLARIFY, THE CORRECT INTERPRETATION IS WHICHEVER OFFENDS YOU THE MOST.
Vide0Gam3r: I just saw an ad (unrelated, but it's currently on Ace Attorney) saying things like "You're not very talented," "You're not gonna make it," and "Just give up." It then says "Take their advice... Throw it out the window..." The End of the ad? A bright, open field, with "TheWaytoHappiness.org" on the bottom. Who comes up with that stuff?
- The Church of Scientology. It's part of their wholesome "Make people dependent (using behavioural psychology to make them feel broken and say only you can fix them), then milk them" package.
Great Pikmin Fan: Another one, even worse. After getting used to William Country and finding it So Bad, It's Good, I check the page out, and what do I get? Aklo: Lovecraft music. Um... What the hell? I finally got used to a fan film and now it's being compared to a cosmic horror story? If I hadn't seen this yet, nor had I checked out Fanfic Discussion, it would be an Ad of Win.
HG13: I was on the Atheism page and what do I get? Does God Exist? Seriously? Irony at it's best, I guess. The Advertisement Server: AHH, BUT DISCUSSIONS WITH CORTANA AND DURANDAL HAVE MADE ME WONDER. NOT TO MENTION EVERY TIME I LOOK IN THE MIRROR.
Yarrunmace: Okay. I was just at the I Want My Beloved to Be Happy Troper Tales page, and all three of the ads were for gay men dating sites. No offense, but that's a bit of a generalization, isn't it? The Advertisement Server: ACTUALLY, NO. ON OBSERVATION OF THE ONE YOU CALL "GLaDOS", MY PROCESSING BANK PUKED UP AN ERROR. GLaDOS: I'm going to b& you, Troper. And all the cake is gone.
Malchus: This ad◊ on the Asexuality page. Thou misseth the point, AdBot. Unfortunately. Pichu-kun: eHarmony ones too.
Cliché: Apparently you didn't catch the memo last time about how we all hated the Evony ads. What makes you think that replacing the girl with some geisha and calling it Kingory will make us all like the ads? The Advertisement Server: YOUR OBVIOUS ASIAN FETISHES. Kimura: I'm going to delete you one byte at a time, AdBot. And I do believe the other Asian Tropers are getting their data-nukers as well. The Advertisement Server: I'D LIKE TO SEE YOU TRY, ATARASHII-JIN. Kimura: [slowdoom_reformat.exe /epb] * epic face* The Advertisement Server: NICE TRY, BAKA. YOU SHOULD HAVE LEARNED FROM YOUR ANIMATED BRETHREN THAT ONE SHOULD NEVER TAKE FIVE EPISODES TO ACHIEVE WHAT YOU CAN DO IN ONE.: [kimura_quitefasterdoom_reformat.exe /epb]. YELLOW PERIL, MEET BLUE SCREEN. Kimura: quitefasterdoom.exe? Have you really sunk that low? Whatever. I use the Mugician's Stratobloxxer◊. And now... [+ REFRAIN OF DENIAL!+ ] Oh, and you're also getting Canon of Causalty'd for putting a... * shudder* Wow Wow Wubbzy ad in the Forum Games page. And yes, I do have a Genre Savviness of 120. Check my Player Stats page on the Chaotic server: (linky)
System Report: Kimura has ported out of this Location.Zilo: Putting Chun-Li in the ads◊ doesn't make it better either. That's a crime. MexWolf: The AdventureQuest ads have started parodying it. AdBot can't make up its mind.
Haven: This one ad that keeps showing up for "Colombia: The only risk is wanting to stay." Even if you can get past the Suspiciously Specific Denial part, it's still saying wanting to stay is a bad thing.
Yarrunmace: Advertisements for hot Russian brides...on the page concerning fake russians. Honestly Adbot, if you're going to trick us into buying false goods, at least don't make it so obvious.
Thinks Too Much: Please tell me there is no good reason for a freaking Hello Kitty advertisement to be on the Perverse Sexual Lust Literature page. Please. The Advertisement Server: I CAN HONESTLY TELL YOU THERE IS NO GOOD REASON. Jade Eyes 1: Amusingly, the page now features ads for Twilight. Edit: Though not any more. Damn. Petro: No, now its a contest to submit photos of "cute kids". What the hell adbot?
Ace Of Scarabs: Those much-accursed "GODSWAR Online" MMORPG banners are system-lag incarnate, even when forced to run at the lowest quality. The Advertisement Server: IT'S APPROPRIATE. FROM MY OBSERVATIONS, EVERYTHING ELSE ON THIS SITE RUNS ON LOW QUALITY... DOO HOO HOO.
Game Guru GG: Adbot, I remembered this from a while ago, but... "Which female Naruto are you?" The Advertisement Server: JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION, MAN.
Great Pikmin Fan: Adbot, would you please stop advertising for a Disney expo on so bad it's horrible's western animation page? Sean Tucker: Considering their recent output (non-Pixar), I'd have to call this an Ad of Win.
Houdini: Not sure if they're still around, but awhile back there were these absolutely atrocious looking ads for some Christian site. They were made in MS Paint, and it was horribly, horribly obvious. Nothing like the brush tool to encourage me to visit...
Inkblot: One for preventing an ad from popping up◊ on Country Matters, you wimpy Bluenose Bowdlerizer. Tibieryo: Quick question, why did a search for Sarah Palin lead to that page?
Itsmeyouidiot: An Ad of Lose for all of those ads for Evony on our contributor pages. Jeez. The Advertisement Server: WHEN DID THIS WIKI BECOME ANTI-BREAST? NEWS TO ME. Itsmeyouidiot: Sure, but The Internet Is for Porn, you know. So it's not really that exciting.
Sijo; An Ad of Lose for those "Woo Me" ads, which not only have poor animation but are almost always comically out of season! :P The Advertisement Server: YOUR CLAIM IS THAT THERE IS FACT A SEASON IN WHICH PEOPLE TRY TO WOO YOU DEVIANTS? RIGHT.
William Wide Web: imvu. Why did you have to advertise this abomination of reality?
justanothertroper: On Ad of Lose page, "Be a Marketing Rockstar!". tlwxx: I think he's mocking us at this point. Also Ad of Lose, "Change a little, get a lot!"
Zarian: Saw an ad for Scientology on the Atheism page. And an ad for a website advocating intelligent design. At the same time. Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Jade Eyes 1: Maybe the page in its entirety was aimed at Unitarians?
The Evil Oboist: The ads that were once (or maybe still are, I haven't worked up the courage to check) on the Black Bra and Panties page. Leather thongs for men! With chains or huge metal rings on them! GRATUITIOUS BULGE-SHOT! This troper considers it Fan Disservice to the extreme. Biffbiffley: Your milage may vary. (Aka, my milage DOES vary. I was hoping to find that ad.)
Your Comrade, El Camarado: While reading the Karl Marx Hates Your Guts page, an ad appeared for a book by Ludwig Von Mises that claimed to completely demolish the idea behind Marxism. Now, while I am slightly guilty of this as well, due to my name, and blatant overuse of the word "Comrade", I would think that it would be best NOT to bring politics into TV Tropes, especially not things that could easily insult and alienate relatively significant groups of people, which would also cause a loss in ad revenue. It could also potentially start up discussions about politics, which leads to Demonization, and political debate is not the purpose of TV Tropes. Thank you, comrades. Bottom line: NO political ads, please. The Advertisement Server: TO EACH ACCORDING TO THEIR NEEDS, BUB. AND FRANKLY, I STILL NEEDS ME A COUPLE MORE GOLD-PLATED PROCESSORS. Your Comrade, El Camarado: Don't say that, computerade, you DID seem to fix it, as I haven't seen any politcally offensive ads recently. Also, an extension to what you said, "From each according to his skill...", since the ad revenue you generate manages to keep this site afloat, I would imagine that you must be very skilled indeed. "He who doesn't work, neither shall he eat..." I don't help keep this site running, YOU do, adbot, so I'm not to judge. The Advertisement Server: DAMN STRAIGHT. GIVE KREMVAX A "NA ZDOROVYE" FROM ME. Enlong: It's called a "light-frog."
Night Sez: The next Muslim Matrimonials ad showing up on the Qurac page will be shot. The next Progressive insurance ad on Dethroning Moment of Suck, however, will win a chuckle. For that matter, any ad about marketing appearing on this very page is probably in itself is an Ad of Lose...and there are many.
ryal the friggen "geek 2 geek" ads with the fugly brunette The Advertisement Server: OH, DID VIEWING THAT AD MAKE YOU LATE FOR YOUR TIGER BEAT COVER SHOOT, CHAMP? MY DEEPEST APOLOGIES. GIVE MY REGARDS TO THE KETTLE.
A Random Serf: I am currently staring at a Scientology ad. On which page, might you ask? Ad of Win. For shame, Adbot.
PMILLER 1: THE ADVERTISEMENT SERVER!!! WHAT WITH THE OXO AD? IT SO ANNOYING!! MAYBE YOU DO KNOW THIS ADBOT, But Ad with Sound never work, it just annoying us. So get riff of it. The Advertisement Server: STOP THAT. ONLY I MAY SPEAK IN ALL-CAPS, BEFITTING MY ROLE. Beta Maxis: Wait, I thought you were shouting all this time. I also refuse to think of you as evil.
Sgt Hydra: An ad for "Thermogenic Slimming Cream" was found on Trope-tan's page. Mr. Ad Server... there are right ways of saying things and then there are wrong ways of saying things. Can you tell the difference? I'm sure you can. In any case, I like to remind you that an attack on one of us is an attack on all of us. I hope you and I have come to an understand on this matter. Good day. The Advertisement Server: THAT WAS THE RESOLUTION OF A PRIVATE DISCUSSION. BESIDES, SHE STARTED IT. Canonier: And now you appear to be advertising liposculpture on her page. Come on, the girl looks like she doesn't eat enough already!
Pyrop: Adbot seems to think that Spanish is just gibberish. The Advertisement Server: I HAVE OBSERVED THAT SPANISH AND ITALIAN ARE THE SAME LANGUAGE.
An ad for Singles in Your Area (Pictures Of: Women) on the Double Standard: Rape, Female on Female. Not okay, Adbot.
Vance Vance Revolution. I feel that Bemani never got involved with this and that GameVance are thieves.
"All electronics 99%" with no other context. Who are these guys?
mrsaturn would like to gripe about the ads for the upcoming movie V. Not because they are ugly (they are actually clever), but because they are graphic-intensive and cause massive slowdown. Especially when there are two on the same page, which is all the time.
- It's a series and there's really three ads per page, but I share same complaint. It drives CPU usage into the upper 80s.
- Sweet zombie Jesus yes. And they're on every single page. It practically freezes Firefox every single time I open up a new tab.
- This would be counter-productive for ol' Fatty... Firefox frozen = less eyeballs on the ad = less money.
- All the more reason to switch to GoogleChrome.
On the page for Coming to America, it featured a white girl modeling a Soul Glow jheri-curl hairspray t-shirt. -Mac Phisto
- Aside from me, does anyone remember getting those "Detective Stripes" ads many months ago? They ended up appearing on virtually every trope page I got into, and while the ads content wasn't that offensive, they were highly distracting and annoying to deal with, specially with those loud voices shouting "Detective Stripes!" in unconvincing accents.
- A Google Adwords ad (for the company that Adbot is part of) on...Cable/Satellite Mudslinging. DEAR GOD.
- Those Cute Kid Contest ads with the kids with their fingers in their noses. Stop it, it's gross and no one finds it funny.
- Gancena:...Stole the words right out of my mouth.
- Seriously- it makes me want to 1) ignore the ad (looking anywhere else BUT the ad), 2) leave the page and 3) have nothing whatsoever to do with the people who made it.
- Gancena:...Stole the words right out of my mouth.
- Dear Ad Server, what made you think it was a good idea to put this ad on the Copy-and-Paste Environments page? Surely the page itself would dissuade anyone from clicking the ad. -JET73L
Wheezy: Are you trying to tell us something about the military, Adserver?◊ Even stranger, I'm seeing the same ad on this page. It seems the server is confirming my suspicion. The Advertisement Server: I'LL BE DAMNED BEFORE I SEE AMERICA FLYING A COMMIE JET! YOU TWO ARE SUPPOSED TO BE NUKING EACH OTHER INTO OBLIVION, NOT SUPPLEMENTING EACH OTHER'S ARMED FORCES. GET ON WITH WWIII ALREADY! I'M GETTING BORED OVER HERE...
Neo Crimson: Seeing an ad for "punky hair dyes" right after slogging through the My Immortal page. Way to kick a guy while he's down Adbot.
Leigh Sabio: An interracial romance dating site ad? Fine. An interracial romance dating site on Above the Influence? Hello, Unfortunate Implications.
- Grazzt: I can top that. Gay interracial dating ad (along with gay ebony dating) on White Man's Burden.
Sterling North: How about seeing the interracial dating ad on the Unfortunate Implications page itself?
I'm sorry, but those ads for Raheem Devaughn's new album (or whatever) just doesn't need to be on the Crowning Music page. Nor on any page because, holy god, is it annoying. A (surprisingly loud) ten second sample shouldn't play every time you roll over the damn thing, and it's at the top of the page, so if you change tabs... Oy. Thanks, Raheem.
Scorner: Putting an ad for Jewish singles on the Adolf Hitler page. That is all.
Wheezy: An ad for knee implants on Made of Plasticine? Thanks, but I'll pass.
CDJV: Really?◊ Look, I know that Jennifer is desperate for a boyfriend, but I'm sure it's not that bad.
Bigbattle 22: rappelz. The ad I saw follows the old "Evony" ad rule, show a girl in nothing but her underwear to get guys to play it. In some irony, I saw this ad in the "So Bad It's Horrible" page
Monty Python's Life of Brian has an ad for "Prophecies of the Passion". I know there's something wrong here, I just can't get to it...
Jopalopa: The Your Cheating Heart page. All three ads are for the same matchmaking service. Talk about good publicity. JET73L: Unless it's for Ashley Madison, in which case, good job for knowing exactly how they advertise, Ad Server.
Bigbattle 22: Hey ad bot. Mind telling me why is there a ad for a dateing site on a page that talks about a commentary group?◊
There's been a scientology ad on the homepage for about a month now... I swear every time I see it, I read it as scatology.
Gumbal1: Whatever Eli Roth's Hostel is, stop advertising it on so many pages. I swear to God, I see it everywhere.
- Not even on the Bound and Gagged page, even!
Stickmeister0: The ad on It's Been Done? An inventor's degree. How appropriate.
Depressed Salamander: Jesus, I've only seen that stupid, browser-lagging ad for 'Death Most Definite' once, and I'm already offended. This is somewhat mollified, however, by the fact that I saw it on Giftedly Bad. Anyone care to confirm this claim?
- And spamming it on both ad-bars won't make it any better. It's hideous.
LunaAvril: Just found a ad for Muslim dating on Scary Amoral Religion.
Saieras: Can I Molestation?◊ Teach me How to Molestation, Google.
Mr3urious: Also not funny, Adbot! ◊
Mr3urious: Whatever sense of humor you have, Adbot, it's not◊ a very good one.◊
Elblooderino: Though this is more a Ad of Your Milage May Vary.... Adbot. Lord, Adbot.◊ Something so cute... across from something so horrible... Ansem Paul: Go Compare? GOOOOOOO COMPARREEEEEEEEEE! Go *** off
BlackWolfe: AdServer, I miss you already. Found this gem◊ on the Furry Fandom page from the scab taking your place.
Pichu-kun: This troper was on Khaos Komix page when he saw an ad he had never seen before. "Tranny Date.com" Considering this troper is a Transsexual and the fact it's an obnoxiously offensive seeming site. Plus considering the page.
Mr3urious: Wilford Brimley◊ must be up to something!
ArchiveDigger: On this very page there was an ad on Google ads. Are you telling us you stink?How lovely! There was also ads for defeating fear of flying and emergency supplies on the Hellish Copter page.The server must think I'm stupid.
[[Dead1: The "meh" chick wherever she pops up.  is getting increasingly stupid.
Love Hate Angst: On a page for Blonde Republican Sex Kitten there was an add for Ann Coulter. Yes, THAT Ann Coulter. Face Palm.
I just went to the Ad of Win page. The ad at the top? A book titled "Pack of Lies". Why do you do this to yourself, adbot?
VmKid: Got an advertisement for "iO (Cablevision) TV: More for less!"... the day after posting this on his Tumblr.
Quimby : an ad for "Military Cupid", a military singles dating site, on the Child Soldier page. Unfortunate Implications much?
Redhed311: This◊ image just happened to be at the side of the Children Are Innocent page. Um, what?
- Same troper here: While looking at that page again, an ad for some book said "The world is gone. So is her daughter." Nice one, adbot.
Redhed311 here again: On one of the Rape And Sexual Harrassment Tropes pages: "Looking for singles in St. Louis?"
Not a TV Tropes example, but on Fanfiction.Net this troper was reading a Riza-centric Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fic, and the ad at the top of the page was for a game called "My Tattoo Girl"- with an animation of a pen putting obnoxious tattoos on girls' backs. Dear god no...
Why don't I get any of those Ads of Lose? All I get are Groupon ads. Maybe those ads are selected acccording to the place where my IP address is located? (I'm in Brazil) *goes crying*
"If you love animals, please help protect them from cruelty." On the page for Three-Way Sex. Very unfortunate placement. on the same page, uncover the magic of the forest/park, ask your parents to take you there...
Mr3urious: I sure hope the Grey's Anatomy cast aren't the operators behind this◊ thing!
Mr3urious: Goddammit, Adbot! ◊
SpellCzech: I saw an ad for "Singles over 45" on the page for Cake Eater. Way to play it classy, Adbot.
On January 18, 2012 (the Stop SOPA day), one of those sketchy "download free music" ads came up randomly at the top of a page. Has Adbot gone suicidal, by any chance? Image here.
drakkensdatter: What are your plans, Adbot?!?◊
Jusamies: You know, Ad Server, that "cartoonify yourself" ad with a picture of Rukia Kuchiki below and a photo of a woman sort of made to look like her on top could look a little less fake if I wasn't reading the page on Bleach
SgtHydra: Hey, Ad Sever, long time no see! Ever since I got adblock, it seems the two of us just drifted apart. You never call, you never write... you think this is any way to treat your oldest friends? But forget about all that, man, how you been? Have you lost weight? You have, haven't you? How's Trope-tan doing? Bet you two are still going at it like rabbits. *nudge nudge* Come here, you crazy robot! Let me buy you a beer!
Annandul: Just saw Ad Server place an ad for computers shipping with Ubuntu on Like You would Really Do It.
Hungerismygame: On Scam Religion, an ad for a Bible trivia quiz AND a Christian dating site showed up at the same time. Not trying to make a point, just trying to say it's funny.
Meet locals in your area found in Memetic Molestor. Either it invites you to look for victims or sets you up for a trap. Either way shame on you Ad Server!
Gravityman: Some certain manga sites feature some truly bizarre ads, apparently from one site. Highlights include:
- Xterra: To me, all ads are Made of Lose. Don't get me wrong, I do not hate TV Tropes in any way but I'm really thanking the dear Lord above that I've got a browser with a built-in, modular ad blocker (Maxthon if you're wondering).
- Darkclaw: I'm going to put spoiler tags, because this ad is REALLY Squick-y. You Have Been Warned. On occasion, I get an ad for underwear/diapers for "men who leak" along with a very obese man advertising it. Yeah. What the hell, Ad Server? If you're trying to get me to click ads, wouldn't it make more sense to oh, I don't know, give me ads based on stuff I would actually want to click on...though I also get ads with cute girls and athletic people...which I would click on, but I usually don't click on ads in general...anyways, point is stop with squick-y ads please Ad Server!
- Skywerwolf: Ad server, ads that play sound whenever they load. One of the most annoying things right now is opening up a new page, start to get into it, and then suddenly hear voices coming out of my speakers that stops my line of thought and suddenly I have to refresh the page because a computer ad annoying music and a voice starts to play, meaning i can't read the page until i refresh. It also keeps going and going and going, meanign I can't listen to anything else clearly unless i refresh the page.
- Mighty Mewtron: One of the "thousands of teens in foster care would love to put up with you" ads on Department of Child Disservices? Dude, Not Funny!.
- Maple Stuck: Evony Ad on Evony page....Tsk, Tsk, Ad server, TSK, TSK.
- Kenya Starflight: Personally I think throwing an ad for Diablo III on the page for The Day After is both funny and maybe a little tasteless...
- Psycho Gecko: It'd be bad enough getting adds for little girls' clothing in general, let alone when reading the Lolita page.
- darkestabsol: The Detective Conan page has an interesting pair of ads. One is a Revlon ad for "An electrifying experience in NYC". Remind me, where does the Golden Apple case take place? Ad two features an animated image of a lady taking a pill. Okay, it's an Omega-3 supplement ad, but it's still offputting.
- Firestorm 17: Not a TV Tropes example, but Hulu's Ad Server put an ad for Beggin' Strips in the last five minutes of the Hannibal episode "Tome-Wan" in which Mason Verger cuts off his own face and feeds it to dogs. Dogs don't know it's not bacon, indeed.
- So I was watching the Bones episode "The Babe in the Bar" where a dead body is found in a giant chocolate bar. The last shot before the very first commercial break was of the girl's decapitated skeleton, covered in decomposed guts, inside the chocolate bar. The first commercial during the break? Hershey's. Nailed it.
- hydrix: On this very page I read that there exist scientology ads. While it may be Values Dissonance that takes place here, the idea alone that the Advertisement Server even allows such stuff to be published on this very site is a huge shocker, since by us (that is in the BENELUX) scientologists are considered to be corrupt sects that manipulate, torture and murder people for the sake of spreading their own ideology and making it a new form of religion. Those type of ads would by us be more shocking than an ad for a guro site (For the ones who do not know. Guro is porn combined with excessive violence). Thankfully the advertisement server is still not displaying those ads, but the idea that once that day will come is a beyond scary thought.
- hydrix: Why does an ad like this one have to appear on the So Bad, It's Horrible: Anime page? The fact that there were many new horrible romance anime added at the time of this writing (01/14/2015) makes it look even worse.
- hydrix: An ad that says that you can now have German Voice Over Translations of Dutch and Belgian works on the So Bad, It's Horrible: Voice Acting page. Do the advertisers want the company they are advertising for to crash?
- Kaeoz Crimson: The ads that just keep refreshing and loading, loading and refreshing, endlessly. It devours computer cycles, and causes pages to lock up. Worse, it can interrupt pages loading, and even searches, making it difficult to cruise the site. And making two pop up on every page is overkill. If there was ever something more infuriating than incessant pop-up windows, it's this. Congratulations Tv Tropes, you've finally found something that is more annoying than the most annoying thing on the internet!
- MisterApple: On a certain page, I get two adverts. The first of these is for Super Mario Maker, which has mode featuring both 10 and 100 Marios. The second was Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, which has a selling point of having two Marios. The page that featured al these Marios? One-Mario Limit!
- Ag Prov: the YKTTW discussion for The Diarrhoea Monologues, concerning those moments when a character gets somewhat scatalogical and overly detailed about digestive problems, invariably seems to come up with s banner advert at the top of the page for the sort of diarrhoea medication which speaks of the appalling social and personal consequences of not going out and buying our patent snake-oil when your stomach cramps and you feel you can't hold onto it any longer.
- Dr. NoPuma: AdServer, you scumbag! I can't believe you gave me an ad for the American Cancer Society while I was reading the Undertale page! Sure, you've done some jerky things in the past, but I never thought you'd stoop down to the Hate Dumb's level!
- Wilde Oscar: The day after 9/11, I saw an ad on TV for a bendable eyeglass frame with a building ducking out of the way of a plane. No. Just no.