Zendaya Maree Stoermer Coleman (born September 1, 1996), better known by the mononym
Zendaya, is an American actress, singer, and dancer. She has been acting since age six, though Shake It Up
was her first show as a main character (in this case, as Raquel "Rocky" Blue).
Zendaya began her professional career working as a fashion model for Macy's, Mervyns and Old Navy. She was also featured in an iCarly
toys ad along with Stefanie Scott. She also appeared as a back-up dancer in a Sears commercial featuring Disney Channel star Selena Gomez
, and in 2009, she was a featured performer in the Kidz Bop
music video for its cover version
of the song "Hot 'n Cold
". Zendaya became known for her starring role on the Disney Channel
original series Shake It Up
as Raquel "Rocky" Blue alongside Bella Thorne
as CeCe Jones, the comedic duo trying to dance their way to stardom. She also starred in the book trailer for "From Bad To Cursed" by Katie Alender. Her first movie role was a starring role in the 2012 film, Frenemies
alongside Shake It Up
co-star, Bella Thorne
and Stefanie Scott
from A.N.T. Farm
In August 2012, Zendaya signed with Hollywood Records. In July 2013, She released her major label debut single "Replay" and her debut album was released on September 11, 2013, through VEVO and was released physically and digitally on September 17, 2013. She was also runner-up on Season 16 of Dancing with the Stars
She currently (2015) has the starring role in Disney Channel Teen Superspy
action/comedy KC Undercover
- The Ace: On Dancing With the Stars.
- Ambiguously Brown: This is Lampshaded in her guest appearance on Black-ish. Her character is chosen to take part in an internationally-themed commercial, as the ad executives think she looks ambiguous enough to appeal to all races.
- Awesome McCool Name / Meaningful Name: The name "Zendaya" in the Shona language means "to give thanks".
- Celeb Crush: Channing Tatum is hers.
- Child Popstar: She was once a Kidz Bop vocalist.
- Cool Big Sis: To Davis Cleveland, despite both of them not being related. (Pics here, here, and here.)
- The Cover Changes the Gender: In her cover of Justin Bieber's song "Boyfriend", which she retitled "Girlfriend". There are some significant lyric changes as well.
- The Cutie
- Dancing Is Serious Business
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: Unlike Shake It Up, Zendaya does perform the theme song for KC Undercover ("Keep It Undercover").
- Fangirl: Of Michael Jackson, Beyoncé and Aaliyah.
- Zendaya is such a big Fangirl of Aaliyah that she decided to pull out of playing her in Lifetime's Aaliyah: The Princess Of R&B because she didn't feel it would be done right (a viewpoint shared by Aaliyah's family, who didn't cooperate in the production). When it premiered in November 2014, just about everybody who saw it felt she made the right choice.
- The Fashionista
- First Name Basis: She is mostly credited with just her first name.
- Follow Your Heart: "Something to Dance For".
- Genki Girl: Not as much as Bella Thorne, but still quite energetic.
- Granola Girl
- Heavy Meta: Like "Love You Like a Love Song", "Replay" is a catchy pop song describing a love interest as being stuck in her head like a catchy pop song.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Bella Thorne. The relationship even has a Fan Nickname, "Zendella."
- Huge School Girl: She's considerably tall for her age at 5'10".
- Idol Singer: As per usual for a teen starlet these days.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Wynonna Judd. Weird, right?
- It Is Pronounced Tro-PAY: Some of her fans mispronounce her first name. It's pronounced Zen-DAY-uh, not ZEN-da-ya or Zen-DIE-ya.
- Like Brother and Sister / Platonic Life Partners: With Val Chmerkovskiy. He has even called her the little sister he always wanted, but never had.
- She also has a brother-sister relationship with her co-stars, Roshon Fegan and Davis Cleveland.
- Odd Friendship: She gained a lot of these during Dancing with the Stars, prominently with Victor Ortiz and Wynonna Judd.
- She's Got Legs
- Shrinking Violet: She used to be one when she was younger.
- Silly Love Songs: Every song on her debut album, except for "Putcha Body Down", qualifies as this.
- Spiritual Successor: To Selena Gomez.
- Also to Ciara, music-wise.
- Statuesque Stunner: 5 feet, 11 inches...at 16. And she's not done growing yet!
- Teen Idol
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Tomboy to Bella's Girly Girl (the reverse of their respective SiU characters).