is an actress famous for playing kooky, slightly awkward characters in a number of movies. Some of her most famous roles have been the Love Interest
of Edward Scissorhands
(1990)in the titular movie, Veronica Sawyer in Heathers
(1989), Lydia Deetz in Beetlejuice
(1988), Jo March in Little Women
(1994), Susanna Kaysen in Girl Interrupted
(1999), Star Trek
(2009), The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
(2009) and a supporting role in Black Swan
(2010). She was involved with the actor Johnny Depp
for three years before they later split, and was linked with Matt Damon
in the early Noughties.
This actress' roles provide examples of:
- Awesome, Dear Boy: She has said that she took the role in Alien: Resurrection before even reading the script, because she had always wanted to be in an Alien movie and could brag about it to her brothers
- Dawson Casting: Averted early in her career, when she was close in age to most of her teenaged characters. She was sometimes criticized for playing teen roles ("I'm like, 19. What do they want me to play, a judge?"). She became a straighter example of the trope as she grew older. She was 28 in Girl, Interrupted ; her character was 18. Her petite frame and wide eyes contribute to looking much younger.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette : Often, but Lydia Deetz is the best example.
- Fatal Method Acting: A near miss—she nearly drowned during the shooting of the underwater scene in A:R.
- Never Live It Down: Her arrest for shoplifting.
- One of Us: Her movie choices seem to indicate this (see Awesome, Dear Boy above). She is also a massive fan of J. D. Salinger and The Catcher in the Rye, and collects rare editions of the book.
- Romance on the Set: Briefly dated Christian Slater during the filming of Heathers. She also dated Johnny Depp, her co-star in Edward Scissorhands
- What Could Have Been : She was cast as Mary Corleone in The Godfather: Part III, but withdrew. The part went to Sofia Coppola.