Winona Ryder (born October 29, 1971) is an actress famous for playing kooky, slightly awkward characters in a number of movies. A few of her roles have been the Love Interest of the eponymous character in Edward Scissorhands (1990), Veronica Sawyer in Heathers (1989), Lydia Deetz in Beetlejuice (1988), Jo March in Little Women (1994), Susanna Kaysen in Girl, Interrupted (1999), Spock's mother in Star Trek (2009), Sandra Dulles in The Private Lives of Pippa Lee (2009), a supporting role in Black Swan (2010) and Joyce ByersStranger Things (2016-). She was involved with the actor Johnny Depp for three years before they later split, and was linked with Matt Damon in the early Noughties.
This actress' roles provide examples of:
- Boyish Short Hair: Had short Spiky Hair in her youth and was mistaken for a boy by a lot of her classmates.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette : Often, but Lydia Deetz is the best example.
- Former Child Star: Aversion. She began acting at 13 but enjoyed far more success in adulthood.
- I Am Very British: Adopts this type of accent for Bram Stoker's Dracula.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Despite being famous for her roles such as the pretentious and homicidal Veronica Sawyer in Heathers and the vain Beth MacIntyre in Black Swan, she's known for being a very kind person in real life. While filming Black Swan, she would frequently apologize to Natalie Portman on set for the hateful and vulgar dialogue she delivered to her character. She also offered a reward for the safe return of Polly Klaas, a kidnap victim. After her murder, Ryder dedicated her performance in Little Women to Klaas.