Video game producers WayForward Technologies
(founded in 1990 by actor-turned-programmer Voldi Way, and named for a joke in a novel
by Douglas Adams
) first established themselves as a reliable maker of product licensed to them by other companies — they began to make their mark with an adaptation of Sabrina the Teenage Witch
, which made the astute decision of treating it as a game
first and a licensed
game second. They've gone on to avoid The Problem with Licensed Games
in much of their subsequent work — so much so that when Konami
decided to contract out to an external developer for Contra 4
, they went with WayForward.
But the company's true labor of love has been its original properties, most of which feature input from creator/character designer Matt Bozon and legendary chiptune
composer Jake Kaufman
Original works include:
- Shantae, published by Capcom for Game Boy Color in 2002
- Sigma Star Saga, published by Namco for GBA in 2005
- LIT, published by WayForward themselves on WiiWare in 2008; licensed and published (as School of Darkness) by Square Enix in Japan
- Featuring an interesting Creator Cameo. The few lines given to the protagonist are voiced by Voldi Way himself.
- Mighty Flip Champs, published by WayForward on DSiWare in 2009
- Mighty Flip Champs DX, a PSN port/remake released July 12, 2011.
- Mighty Milky Way, the Spiritual Successor to Mighty Flip Champs, published again by WayForward on DSiWare, released on May 9, 2011.
- Mighty Switch Force, another Spiritual Successor for MFC, published by WayForward for the 3DS eShop, releasing 2011 and on the Wii U on November 18, 2012.
Licensed works include:
- Godzilla Domination, published by Atari for Game Boy Advance in 2002
- Justice League Heroes: The Flash, published by Warner Bros. Games for Game Boy Advance in 2006 (notably a prequel to the main JLH game, released for Playstation2, Xbox, Nintendo DS and PSP)
- Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck, published by Warner Bros. Games for Nintendo DS in 2007
- Contra 4, published by Konami for Nintendo DS in 2007 (US) and 2008 (Japan)
- A Boy and His Blob, published by Majesco for Nintendo Wii in 2009
- Batman The Brave And The Bold: The Videogame, published by Warner Bros. Games for Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS in 2010
- Blood Rayne Betrayal, published by Majesco for XBLA and PSN August 2011
- Aliens Infestation, co-developed by WayForward and Gearbox Software, published by Sega for the Nintendo DS in October 2011.
- Silent Hill: Book of Memories, to be published by Konami for the Playstation Vita.
- Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?, Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS game.
- Double Dragon Neon, PSN/XBLA game.
- Hotel Transylvania, DS and 3DS game.
- DuckTales: Remastered, a Video Game Remake of the original Capcom Nintendo Entertainment System game. To be released on PSN/XBLA/Wii U eShop.