"Now say nuclear wessels!"Walter Koenig (September 14, 1936-) is an American actor (though his parents were Russian immigrants) who originated the role of Pavel Chekov on Star Trek, and Bester on Babylon 5.
This actor provides examples of:
- Deadpan Snarker: His real-life tendency to be this was put to maximum effect on Futurama, where pretty much everything out of Koenig's mouth was a Crowning Moment of Funny.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With George Takei. Not only did George ask him to be the best man at his wedding, but when he was asked if Sulu had a middle name, he suggested "Walter", in honor of Koenig.
- Older Than He Looks: Played with, along with Dawson Casting. He was 30 when he joined the cast of Star Trek, playing 22 year old Chekov. Throughout the movies he still maintained much of his youthful looks, even as Chekov himself approached middle age.
- Playing Against Type: One will frequently need to remind himself that this is the same actor who played Chekov when watching him as Bester. Koenig eventually invoked this and stated that, partly for this reason, Bester is the role that he's most fond of.
- Self-Deprecation: E.g., the name of his autobiography is Warped Factors: A Neurotic's Guide to the Universe