Creator: Tom Selleck
"I was Planning to Go into Architecture. But when I arrived (to sign up for courses) Architecture was filled up. Acting was right next to it. So I signed up for acting instead."Thomas William Selleck, from Detroit, Michigan (born on January 29, 1945), is an American actor, director, producer, and political activist. His early career is filled with television commercials and minor roles as boyfriends, best friends, cowboys, cops, and lawyers. In 1980, he enjoyed his first big... no, make that frickin' huge... break when he was cast as Thomas Magnum in Magnum, P.I., a role he continued with until the series was cancelled in 1988. During his time on Magnum, he became one of the most bankable stars on television.He was offered the lead role in a little film called Raiders of the Lost Ark, but in the end had to turn it down because the producers of Magnum wouldn't release him for other projects. (The role of Indiana Jones ended up going to some guy named Harrison Ford.)After Magnum, he turned to film almost exclusively, appearing in Runaway, High Road to China, Mister Baseball, Three Men and a Baby, and Quigley Down Under, a role that he considers his personal best. In 1997, the solidly conservative Selleck played against type to portray an openly gay reporter who has an affair with Kevin Kline in In & Out. These days he's mostly back to television, starring as NYPD Police Commissioner Frank Reagan in the regular series Blue Bloods and appearing in the Jesse Stone series of TV movies.Selleck is an avid gun collector, and is a member of the NRA - which once led to an unfortunate incident on the Rosie O'Donnell show where the very liberal Rosie deviated from their original topic of his current acting projects to roast him about his conservative politics, which, ironically, had more viewers siding with him than with her. He lives on an avocado farm, which he operates himself, citing that he works "for less than anyone I can hire."
— Tom Selleck
Tropes relating to Mr. Selleck:
- Badass Moustache: Probably one of the most famous examples in modern American media.
- Call to Agriculture: Lives on an avocado farm, which he operates himself, joking that he works "for less than anyone I can hire."
- Nice Guy: He is generally regarded as a very nice man in the industry. Could very well be seen as a Gentle Giant.
- Older Than They Look: He's 70 yet doesn't look too far removed from his Magnum heyday. Here's a side-by-side comparison between his hit 1980s show and his hit 2010s show.◊
- Rated M for Manly
- What Could Have Been: Was Steven Spielberg's first choice for the role of Indiana Jones, but had to turn down the role because of contractual obligations to Magnum, P.I..
- Funny though that due to a strike, production on the show was pushed back far enough that Selleck very well could have shot Raiders of the Lost Ark, but by then Harrison Ford had already been cast.