Creator: Tom of Finland
Tom of Finland (real name Touko Laaksonen) is one of the most famous artists of gay men in history, and the modern Trope Codifier of the Manly Gay trope. He specialized in drawing sailors and leather-clad bikers... with Raging Stiffies in their pants. He also loved to draw lumberjacks and construction workers.Tom himself served as a Lieutenant in the Finnish Army in the World War Two. He was a fire control officer in the anti-aircraft troops, and his bravery earned him Vapaudenristi (Cross of Freedom) decoration. His drawing style has been claimed to be the inspiration of Freddie Mercury's performance style.
Tom Of Finland's work provides examples of:
- Follow the Leader: His gay pornographic art inspired many other artists in this field.
- Hello, Sailor!: The artist loved men in uniform and drew a lot of sailors.
- Hot Men At Work: Construction workers are a recurring theme.
- Leather Man: He drew a lot of leather-clad bikers.
- Manly Gay: All the men he drew where strong, muscular men.
- Meaningful Name: His real name was Touko Laaksonen, but he used the pseudonym Tom Of Finland, which was easier for other artists to remember.
- Mr Fan Service: All the men he drew are essentially gay fan service.
- Raging Stiffie: The men in his work often have rather bulbous underpants.
- Shout-Out: "Vive Le Rock" from Vive Le Rock by Adam Ant namedrops him:Well, I've been where I was goingAnd it's not Tom Of Finland