"Permission to describe Todd Haberkorn here, Sergeant?"
"Permission granted-de arimasu
"Sir, yes sir
! Hope you like this! Get ready!
One of FUNimation
's voice actor stars with a distinct and recognizable voice, Todd Haberkorn's current claims to fame are Allen Walker
, Death the Kid
, Ling Yao
, Natsu Dragneel
, and North Italy
. He was also the host of "FUNimation Update". Though not pigeonholed yet, he's played some bishonen
with berserk buttons
, and tends to be a shoe-in for being cast as bizarre, eccentric, shady, and insane characters. In fact, many people consider his casting as Watanuki from ×××HOLiC
to be virtually "written for him"! Can ad-lib incomprehensible, random scared noises like nobody's business, in the same vein as John DiMaggio
. These days, he is starting to become quite
similar to Vic Mignogna
, having formed a friendship/video rivalry with said actor, started up his own fan team on Facebook, his presence is growing at cons, and the Fairy Tail
commentary confirms that he is now officially stationed in Los Angeles instead of Texas! It doesn't help that their voices fall into similar niches; they've voiced characters that shared Japanese seiyuus a number of times
. He has also performed in more games such as Street Fighter IV
, and is now Link
from The Legend of Zelda
Also is the United States counterpart to Mamoru Miyano
and the FUNimation equivalent to Akira Ishida
Owns and runs his own film company, arising from Hollywood not knowing what to do with an Asian actor "who doesn't look stereotypically Asian but doesn't fit the standard lead appearance either."note
Fun Fact: he was once a cast member
of Barney & Friends
), and he also had a supporting role in the Sy Fy
original movie Scream of the Banshee
Has a Twitter account
An action figure
of him is available.
Notable roles by Todd Haberkorn:
- Adorkable: Oh, so very much. Just watch this recording from his Q&A panel in in the SacAnime Convention and just try to think otherwise.
- Black Comedy: "Don't...skin a puppy while it's sleeping. Wait until it's awake, it's more of a challenge!"
- Friendly Rivalry: With Vic Mignogna, not to mention their career paths and fanbase are nearly similar.
- Large Ham: Natsu, as demonstrated.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: He can go from Keroro and Italy to Joseph, Rowen and Izumo.
- He plays Rowen in Tales of Xillia and shows just how flexible he is by playing a VERY good elderly man to the point where many did not believe it really was him!
- Mr. Fanservice: Not just a pretty face, but he seems quite willingly to do some of the most ridiculous fan requests. One example here: , another one here: , and from the same con from the last one: .
- One of Us: As well being an anime and video game fan, he also stated he's a huge fan of Zelda and the Star Trek series.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: A recurring joke within fans is that Todd is in every single anime dub done by FUNimation. This is mostly true, as he's casted as The Protagonist of the series (or at least part of the protagonist cast). This includes, a very quirky loser frog soldier protagonist, a harem protagonist, a badass normal unlucky high school student protagonist, a ditzy and very energetic protagonist whose stereotypes represents (north) Italy, a somewhat protagonist character in a ridiculously large cast, a deuteragonist who hilarious takes symmetry as serious business, and a Hot-Blooded shonen protagonist and a low rank high school student protagonist of a police academy with a perverted superpower side. However, since he had moved to Los Angeles, he normally gets secondary or minor roles with FUNimation, and the lead character role is given to either newcomers like Micah Solusod and Josh Grelle, or veterans like Greg Ayres.
- He lampshaded this in one of his DVD commentaries for Axis Powers Hetalia, where he comments "When they need a voice for the whiny nancy boy-ish character, they cast the nerdy half-Asian guy."
- Playing Against Type:
"Your last hope, Tuxedo Mask, is now dead. Go on and cry! Do you need a man to do everything for you?! Women are such shallow, useless creatures!" (Evil Laugh
- Promoted Fanboy: Wouldn't you believe he'll be playing as Spock in the Star Trek fan webseries?
- Relationship Voice Actor: He and Mamoru Miyano both voiced Ling Yao in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Kyrie in Sands of Destruction, and Death the Kid in Soul Eater.
- Rhymes on a Dime: He loves to sing lyrics he made up to well-known songs on the moment, and he does it frequently at cons.
- Shipper on Deck: For Gerita. He confirmed it here in a recording of his panel at the Sacramento Anime Convention 2013: .