Audience, wha-? What are you doing at my TV Tropes page, Audience?
Toby Joe Turner, aka Tobuscus, is a Youtube
personality known for his comedy, songwriting, and acting abilities. His work includes original songs and comedy shorts, "Literal Trailers" of video games and films, song and commercial parodies
, and a comedy clip series called, "Cute Win Fail". He owns a vlog known as "Lazy Vlog", and a gaming channel, Toby Games, also known as "Toby Sucks at Gaming"
Despite having his major presence on Youtube
, Toby is no stranger to acting, appearing in 2008 in the TV series Stranger Things
and the 2010 indie comedy New Low
. In 2012, he broke into mainstream TV as the primary live actor in Cartoon Network
's production of The High Fructose Adventures of Annoying Orange
. In the same year, he also played a role in the indie slasher flick Smiley
To watch his Tobuscus videos go here
, for his Lazy Vlog go here
and for his gaming channel go here
. His website is here
Tropes associated with Tobuscus and his videos:
- Achilles' Heel:
- Added Alliterative Appeal: Toby's name. Also, he claims to be allergic to alliteration... Aaaatchooo!
- A God Am I: He frequently yells, "I am a God!" after accomplishing odd or mundane tasks in his gaming videos, such as, in Minecraft, eating rotten flesh without getting sick.
- A Load of Bull: The Mini Minotaur.
- Always Second Best: His song 2nd HOTTEST GIRL (A Love Song) is about the 2nd hottest girl on a show who will always be second hottest.
- Animesque: His animated adventures.
- Angrish: A LOT. Especialy in the earlier videos of him playing Happy Wheels, where half of his speech was just him shouting "GOD DANGIT!" at various volumes and a "FPFFFF" sound in place of where curse words should go.
- Armor Is Useless: Parodied in his Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Literal Trailer.
Hopefully those guards have good armor / No they don't, maybe they do / They don't.
- Artifact Title: As of now, "Evil Puppet Show Ft. Mini-Minotaur and Creeper" and "Edited Lazy Vlog" have been edited, but Word of God states that he sits down when he edits, so he is still being lazy. Additionally, it is practice for sketches.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!:
- Toby claims to have ADD, although like many of his claims, this is unreliable.
- Celebrated by the original song, "There's a Floppy Disk on the Floor", in which his mother apparently shares this trait.
- Multiple times per episode in his Lazy Vlogs, with several ("Ooh, an airplane," "Ooh, flowers," and "Shhh!") approaching Catch Phrases.
- In the Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Literal Trailer, the assassin is easily distracted by a feather - when several guards are pointing their spears at him during an assassination.
- In his gaming episodes, he has an incredible ability to get distracted and lose track of what he's supposed to be doing. In sandbox games like Minecraft, this is fine, but it tends to frustrate (or alternatively, amuse) viewers of the more story-driven games to no end, especially when he doesn't pay attention to mission objectives.
- Awesomeness Is a Force: In the Literal trailer for Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, this is apparently how Ezio kills a guard. note
Guard says, "Stop!" / Just kill him with your awesome.
- Badass Baritone: During his playthrough of Duke Nukem Forever, Toby imitates Duke's deep voice with uncanny precision. Of course, Toby himself is anything but a badass, but his mimicry of one is hilarious. He can be seen practicing the Duke Nukem voice in earlier vlogs, long before the game was released.
- Bears Are Bad News: Especially bears with guns and grenades.
- Better to Die Than Be Killed: During his Amnesia playthrough, he jumps off a cliff rather than die at the hands of a monster, and invokes this as his justification. He also invokes this during his playthrough of Limbo, in which he drowns himself to avoid the spikes he is floating towards.
- Big Eater: Toby mentions being this in his Let's Play of Tiny Thief. Apparently, he will, on occasion, order 2 large pizzas and eat them both by himself. He mentions his mother taking him to McDonald's where he would eat 2 Big Macs, along with chicken nuggets.
- Big "NO!": A frequent event in his Let's Play videos, most often when a game crashes or an ally dies.
- Blatant Lies: Much of what he claims in his Lazy Vlogs is either obviously untrue or questionable. In this vlog, he goes meta by lying about his lying "tell".
- Blessed with Suck: In one Cute Win Fail vid, Toby imagines a superhero whose power is getting struck by lightning.
- Butt Monkey: Steven. Gabuscus also gets regularly abused by Toby, mainly over his Embarrassing Nickname.
- Black Comedy:
Toby: If cats ever run out of food, they can just hunt allergic people. They could just jump on my face, and hug it. My last words would be "Awwww..."
- Call Back:
- Catch Phrase: Has several noticeable catch phrases which are:
- "Audience, wha-!? What are you doing in [place the camera is], Audience?"
- "Bless your face. If you sneezed during this video, bless you. Peace off/Toby out/Joey out. Boop!"
- "Intro/Mid-tro/Outro of darkness, then redness, then whiteness!"
- "Da Da Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Subscribe"
- "oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god"
- A different variation (though less prominent) for male cosplayers is "Nerdnerdnerdnerdnerdnerdnerd..."
- "Im gonna die im gonna die im gonna die"
- "I'm Dead. I'm Dead. I'm Dead. I'm Dead."
- "I'm LITERALLY dead!"
- For his gaming videos: "Hello once again Audience."
- "Knock Knock Moe'Suckra!"
- "Well, clearly..."
- "Whatchu got?"
- "Ooooh! Gimme Gimme."
- "God dang it!"
- Referring to various people as "girl," usually when the one in question is NOT a girl (his male dog and the audience are the usual targets) and while imitating Leon Phelps, The Ladies Man.
- Whenever he plays an Ubisoft game, he literals the logo flash. When he interviewed an Ubisoft employee, it went meta.
- (usually singing it, sometimes not) Suck it! Suck it, suck it suck it!
- AGH! No! Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please.
- From the Animated Adventures, "ARGH! I'm boooored!"
- "Yo' momma!"
- "What the balls?"
- From Happy Wheels Let's Play: "This is the time."
- "Hello once again, audience! Where we left off, I was _______."
- Celebrity Resemblance:
- Toby mentions a few times that he's been told he looks like David Tennant, apparently because of his messy hair and sideburns.
- Toby has mentioned that his friend Gabe aka Gabuscus, has sometimes been mistaken as Taylor Lautner.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Elevating bad guys, wide shot bad guys.
- Comedic Sociopathy: In "Safety Torch", Toby invades an innocent kid's house, wakes him up in the middle of the night, scares him to death by telling him monsters are out to get him, offers him torches to keep the monsters away, gives him water to put out the resulting fires, and finally charges him $500 for those "services". And in case there was any doubt as to whether this is deliberate extortion or not, the Frankenstinian monster he brings with him says "Sup Toby" in an easy-to-miss speech bubble.
Timmy: I don't have 500 bucks!
Toby: Oh, that's fine! I'll bill your parents.
- Cool Sword: The whole point of I Can Swing My Sword.
- Cowboy Be Bop At His Computer: An interesting subversion in the animated music video for "I Can Swing My Sword" — the Minecraft recipe for a diamond sword is one stick and two diamonds, but Toby's version has three. Many people pointed out the error, but it's intentional, as the patent he claims to have in the song is specifically for a three-diamond version, making it unique.
- Cute Kitten: The "Cute" clips of "Cute Win Fail" have a high representation of this trope.
- Cuteness Proximity: Toby goes into baby babble whenever Gryphon is in the shot. He doesn't know why.
- Cut Short: Not counting the games that have No Ending, Toby hasn't finished several playthroughs on TobyGames, including The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and Max Payne 3 (which was ended because the publisher insisted he not show the cutscenes).
- Damned by Faint Praise: "2nd Hottest Girl" is a parody love song about Exactly What It Says on the Tin: the second most attractive girl on a web reality show. The joke, of course, is that Toby thinks he's being genuinely complimentary.
- Delusions of Eloquence: Played for Laughs with his usage of the word "filibuster", which he uses in random sentences regardless of its actual meaning.
- Department of Redundancy Department: In "Literal Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows":
Careful Harry, he doesn't have a nose. / Harry needs some sleep. / And he needs a nose. / And he needs some sleep.
- Disney Death: In April 2014, a rumour went around the Internet that Toby was dead. Naturally, he made a video about it.
- Disproportionate Retribution: While playing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, a guard says the popular meme, "I used to be an adventurer like you... then I took an arrow to the knee." Toby slaughters her, screaming, "Do you know what you've done?!"
- Distracted by the Sexy:
- Toby has made this into a Catch Phrase: "Hot hot hot hot hot hot," which pulls double duty as Gibberish of Love.
- In the first episode of Tobuscus Animated Adventures, Toby is so busy ogling a chick that he fails to notice (or care) that she's a zombie. Hilarity Ensues.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Toby's commentary is very easy to take in the wrong context if you keep your eyes closed on certain occasions. This is almost always noticed by the commenters rather than Toby realizing it during the video. Specific examples:
- This episode of Happy Wheels at 2:46
- This part of a highlight from an episode of Happy Wheels at 1:38
- This episode of Happy Wheels at 11:56
- Embarrassing Nickname: Not Toby, but his pal, Gabe. Because Gabe-uscus sounds a lot like Gay-buscus. Gabe is not amused when Toby calls him this.
- Epic Fail: Celebrated by his "Cute Win Fail" series.
- Everybody Laughs Ending:
- The first episode of Tobuscus Animated Adventures subverts this. Gabe and Toby have a good laugh over their predicament, then Toby turns into a zombie and eats Gabe.
- In the "Tobuscus Canadian Adventures" episode, the duo exchange some nervous laughter similar to the first episode. Then Gabe strangles Toby.
- Evil Laugh: Toby does a great one at the end of "I Can Swing My Sword", but loses some evil cred when Gabuscus interrupts the laugh to wrest the sword from him.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin:
- The whole point of his Literal Trailers: taking what is happening in the trailer... and taking it literally. In song.
- His Lazy Vlog series is a vlog that is extremely lazy, frequently lacking such basic elements as a subject.
- "Toby Sucks at Gaming," his Let's Play channel.
- "Nugget in a Biscuit"
- Fate Worse Than Death: Sorry, other two clips, you just won a date with Snooki.
- The Ghost: Steven, Toby's mysterious assistant in his videos. About Steven
- Gibberish of Love: "Hothothothothothot" counts as this too, sometimes. If you believe the story about Toby trying out for the cheerleader squad, anyway.
- Ho Yay: Spoofed between Toby and Jack of Jack's Films.
- Hulk Speak: From the highlight reel of his F.E.A.R. 3 Let's Play: AARRGH! MOMMA ANGRY. 
- Hypercompetent Sidekick:
- Inherently Funny Words: The name Herbert, apparently.
- Insistent Terminology: Toby's friend, Gabe, would like everyone to know that his nickname is pronounced "Gabe-uscus", not "Gay-buscus". Too bad Toby insists on pronouncing it without the pause. Played for Laughs in Tobuscus Animated Adventures when Gabe insists on the pronunciation even as Zombie!Toby is eating him.
- I Want Grandkids: In his spoof of an Axe deodorant commercial, Mombuscus tells Toby 'Now go make me some grandchildren!' According to Toby, she wasn't acting when she said that.
- Jerk Ass: Toby portrays himself as one in several videos, notably "Tobuscus Animated Adventures" and "Safety Torch".
- Jive Turkey: Toby tends to talk like this when slipping into another one of his "characters".
- Kissing Under the Influence: According to "How to Get Women", Axe Body Spray for MenTM makes every female anywhere near you attack you constantly.
- Left It In: "Edit that part out, Steven!" "You left it in?" "YOU LEFT IT IN?!"
- Let's Play: His gaming channel, Toby Sucks at Gaming.
- Lighter and Softer: Toby's earlier videos had swearing and a few more dirty jokes, but over the years he's toned them down and made his videos more family friendly. Some fans think this is because his niece Ciara started watching.
- His "Literal Trailers" series, where he adds Literal-Minded lyrics to movie and video game trailers.
- In his Lazy Vlogs, Toby often interprets fan comments literally, such as when a fan says that they would "die" if he read their letter on the vlog and he then apologies profusely for murdering them.
- Mad Libs Catch Phrase/Couch Gag: The intro to every episode of Cute Win Fail has a different running gag per episode. The formula usually goes like this:
How's it going? I'm Toby Turner. [random phrase that starts off the running gag] and this is "Cute Win Fail", the show where videos from three different [items relevant to the running gag] compete to become the most EPIC.
[Starts listing the three entries from the previous episode]
Your votes have all been [action relevant to the running gag] and the most epic video ever of last week was... [insert winning entry here]
Sorry, other two clips. [joke about the loser videos' punishment
, also relevant to the running gag]
It's time for three new videos to enter the competition for epicosity. Let's watch!
- Magnum Opus: Toby considers his own Magnum Opus to be Nugget in a Biscuit.
- Male Gaze: His Catch Phrase "Hothothot" counts as an Invoked Trope. The Hot Symphonies ( and ) are a celebration of the phenomenon.
- Man Child
- Metaphorgotten: He talks so much and so fast that he often loses track not only of where he was going but where he started.
"If you took Gonzo and put him in an arena with a bunch of other animators and gave them all, like, medieval weapons and put like a lion in there, the lion would probably kill them all. But Gonzo is a good animator." 
- Meaningless Meaningful Words: Parodied in Dramatic Song.
- Mistaken for Racist: A Running Gag in his vlogs and gaming commentaries, usually by noticing that something he's just said came out wrong and either digging himself deeper, backpedaling, or descending down a Freudian Slippery Slope.
- Monster Protection Racket: In "Safety Torch", Toby brings his own monsters to scare little Tim Tim into buying stuff to drive them off.
- Motor Mouth
"Thewinnerofyesterday'stshirtisannotatedatthebottommiddleofthevideoifyouwantoentertowinatshirt... like and post a comment, girl. Or guy. Or other."
- Mundane Made Awesome: BLOW ON IT, WANDA!
- Must Have Caffeine: Parodied in Eight O'Clock Coffee, and frequently a subject of his Lazy Vlogs, to the point where he no longer bothers to say "Sponsor!" when mentioning Starbucks.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: In his "Trapped in a pistachios ad!" vid, the audience is advised to watch a clip of A-list celebrities, and Snooki, eating pistachios.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Redneck Pirate Assassin!
- No Sense of Direction: He gets lost constantly in Minecraft and Skyrim, despite having a minimap mod for the former and a compass with quest markers in the latter, mainly because he ignores them most of the time.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Toby abandons his normally perpetual joking demeanor during the more serious and heart-wrenching moments of his The Walking Dead playthrough.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping:
- Played for Laughs, especially in his vlogs, as he is capable of imitating a remarkably wide range of accents and voices but not, seemingly, of staying in them for more than a few sentences.
- In his Assassin's Creed: Revelations playthrough, he attempts to imitate Ezio's Italian accent, with mixed success — at several points he slips into Russian and Transylvanian accents, notices, and gets himself hopelessly confused.
- Overly Long Gag: The opening titles for Assassin's Creed: Revelations (here). Notable for being in both the source material and Toby's commentary.
Toby: Ubisoft presents... a game by Ubisoft. And Ubisoft. And also Ubisoft...
- Overly Narrow Superlative: Mombuscus shall forever be known as "The best mom who ever played Bloodforge in the first hour of its release."
- Painting the Medium:
- Toby continually refers to elements of his videos that only exist after they've been uploaded to Youtube, such as the annotations. He also pretends that the audience is wherever the camera is and/or is the camera. In one video, he notices that he's being zoomed out to show the Youtube video frame.
- In Trapped in a Vlog, Toby introduces the audience to his studio. In reality, he makes his filming background as white as possible and then plays with white balance to complete the effect (this is so he doesn't have to bother with a greenscreen). In that video, however, he pretends to be hiding a vast collection of white or near-white objects in the background, and invites the audience to click on each one in order to see a sub-video explaining what it is.
- Parody Commercial: The Tobuscus channel features a lot of these, many of which are sponsored by the companies he's parodying.
- The Pen Is Mightier: Spoofed. Toby has the idea for a gun with a pen bayonet, and orders Steven to patent it and sell it to the military.
- Precision F-Strike: While voicing Courage Wolf for Animeme.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: In his Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Literal Trailer:
- Precious Puppies: Cute Win Fail also has a large volume of cute puppy clips. When babies and puppies get involved, it becomes a kind of Cuteness Event Horizon.
- Product Placement: In an interview, Toby said that one of his objectives in creating the Tobuscus vlogs is to attract advertisers. Much of his work is, in fact, sponsored. He further parodies this by yelling "Sponsor!" whenever any brand name appears in his videos, whether it's actually sponsoring him or not, and in some cases even if it's his own product.
- Promoted Fanboy:
- Rage Quit: While playing the Justine expansion pack of Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Justine quits to the desktop every time the player dies, something Toby found out the hard way. After the third try ended in failure, he gave up, telling the Audience, "You play it!"
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: His Shih Tzu, Gryphon, who appears in many of his Lazy Vlogs and other videos.
- Running Gag: Many, all (most? some?) of which are presumably made up for Rule of Funny.
- Being allergic to alliteration.
- Being unable/unwilling to read.
- Being unable to use tools or do anything stereotypically manly.
- Peeing uncontrollably whenever he gets excited or scared.
- The hilarious abuse heaped on Steven, which wouldn't be as funny if Steven actually existed.
- "Reading books" as an Unusual Euphemism for drinking alcohol — as in, he read a lot of books last night and now his head hurts.
- Constantly improvising parody songs during his gaming sessions. Naturally, these often become some of the favorite highlights among fans.
- His original Minecraft world is corrupted in such a way that it crashes frequently in a certain spot. Toby periodically revisits this world out of nostalgia and it always, always crashes, leaving him screaming in fury.
- Various Let's Play videos of different games are titled "I'M DEAD". More than once in the same series, sometimes.
- Often in Cute Win Fail, whenever a person or animal falls over in a flailing manner, Toby follows it up with a shout of "HADOUKEN!".
- Whenever he gets fan mail in which a person says that they "will die" if he reads it on one of his vlogs, he takes them literally.
- In his newer Happy Wheels videos, he'll say "LAST TIME" and show a quick recap of the last episode, and then say "THIS TIME" and show the new episode.
- Scooby-Dooby Doors: A deliberate homage occurs during the Mini Minotaur Song, with Tim Tim, the minotaur, and later Toby chasing each other through a door-lined corridor.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: In his gaming videos, nearly always after proclaiming himself to be fearless moments before.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: He used to do all his own instrumental parts as well, but has recently begun contracting these out.
- Ship Tease: With iJustine in 2011, and OlgaKay in 2012. Olga confirmed that they had been dating... after they broke up.
- Shirtless Scene: Twice in Jack's Your Grammar Sucks, revealing a very toned six-pack. The fangirls (and fanboys of that persuasion) went nuts in the comments as a result.
- Shoehorned First Letter: A Running Gag in his LazyVlogs is trying to make the color of shirt he's wearing alliterate with the day of the week, resulting in such gems as "Thpurple Thursday".
- Simpleton Voice: A deliberate affectation for many of his vlogs and Let's Plays. It might go all the way into Obfuscating Stupidity, except that he's doing it purely for laughs.
- Sneeze of Doom: In part 176 of his Skyrim Let's Play, he "sneezes" a fire spell at Tolfdir while at the College of Winterhold. Later, he "sneezes" by attacking Tolfdir with an axe.
- The Southpaw: He's left-handed, a trait he inherited from his dad. 
- Stay in the Kitchen:
- Toby takes on a stereotypically condescending attitude in character during his Skyrim Let's Play.
- Toby's character in Tobuscus vs. Olga Kay utters the immortal line, "Oh good, you're in the kitchen. I would love a sandwich." She then beats him down and utters the Bond One-Liner, "Make your own sandwich."
- Stealth Pun: Toby vlogs from a trailer. So he's in a "literal trailer". For bonus recursion, someone remarked that he should make a Literal Trailer about his literal trailer.
- Studio Chatter: One episode of his Skyrim Let's Play begins with 54 seconds of Toby just sitting there with the game paused, checking the mic, before finally starting the episode.
- Take a Third Option: Subverted. In one episode of his playthrough of the walking dead, Toby is presented with two options; leave a screaming woman to die at the hands of zombies, or snipe her, putting her out of her misery and drawing the dead to you. Toby chooses to shoot the zombies, only to find out that this was not programmed into the game, and he kills the woman despite not aiming for her. He named the Episode after this one failure.
- Talking to Himself: Toby voices most of the roles in his animated videos. He also hilariously voices all the characters in his playthrough of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, since the game itself doesn't have voice acting.
- Trademark Favorite Food:
- Translation Convention: Roman from the Roman & Regina videos claims he can't even speak English... in English.
- Unusual Euphemism: "God diggety doodle", "What the doodle", "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD", and his signature "God dangit!". Probably his strangest is "Jesus R Kelly Christ!"
"Grandbuscus": Steven! If you fade me out I swear to doodle I'll pee on your house!
- Unreliable Narrator: If you believed everything he says in his Lazy Vlogs, you'd be... well, very confused. This does, however, leave us with the problem of figuring out exactly which of those things are true and which are not.
- Verbal Tic: He affects a lisp when talking about things like flowers, birds, or airplanes.
- Vlog Series: His Lazy Vlog channel.
- Weaksauce Weakness: The mini minotaur from the titular song is deathly allergic to tartar sauce.
- With Lyrics: His literal trailers.
- You Make Me Sic: When he narrates text in games with spelling errors (such as Happy Wheels where this happens frequently due to the user-created content), he intentionally reads the spelling error phonetically.
Thanks for reading my TV Tropes page. Bless your face. If you sneezed while reading this page, bless you. Peace Off! Da Da Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Subscribe! Outro of darkness, then redness, then whiteness, then... Boop!