Creator: The Weinstein Company
aka: Weinstein Company
An independent American film studio founded by Harvey and Bob Weinstein in 2005 after the pair left the then-Disney-owned Miramax Films. The Dimension Films label of Miramax followed the brothers to their new company.Is infamous for often taking creative control from directors, delaying films, giving them the Invisible Advertising treatment, and releasing mostly flops (though in recent years, their fortunes have improved with back-to-back Best Picture winners The King's Speech and The Artist). Their biggest success to date is Inglourious Basterds, the 2009 film by Quentin Tarantino starring Brad Pitt.The company also has sub-labels Dimension Films (for B-movie fare) and Radius (for fare given theatrical and VOD releases, similar to Magnolia and IFC).
Tropes applying to The Weinstein Company:
- The Dog Bites Back: Recently, directors have been taking a stand against their attempts at Executive Meddling, this time, more successfully.
- Executive Meddling: Though it's gradually slowing down due to the bad publicity they're getting.
- Invisible Advertising: On top of the Executive Meddling, any film they're slightly uneasy about will get this treatment.
- Meet the New Boss
- Oscar Bait: Not as bad as Miramax was, but it's still there.
- Now instead of being criticized for "stealing" the Oscar from films like Fargo, they're now accused of "stealing" the Oscar from just The Social Network.
- Sibling Team
- Spiritual Successor: To Miramax Films.