Creator / The Hong Sisters
Hong Jung Eun and Hong Mi Ran are a screenwriting Sibling Team
who have made a name for themselves in the romantic comedy genre of Korean Dramas
. Known collectively as "Hong Jamae" (홍자매) in South Korea
, the pair of sisters first collaborated with 2005's Delightful Girl Choon Hyang
, an adaptation of the legend of Choon Hyang
. The show, which became a instant hit, launched the careers of their two stars, Jae Hee and Han Chae Young.
Primarily known for their witty dialogue, puns and meta references
, the Hong sisters employ a variety of language tropes
in order to make their leading couples more endearing.
Dramas written by the Hong sisters:
Notable tropes in their works include:
- Brutal Honesty
- Call a Rabbit a "Smeerp"
- The Cameo
- Captain Oblivious/Oblivious to Love
- Dogged Nice Guy
- Does This Remind You of Anything?
- Epunymous Title/Pun-Based Title: The titles of their works are often a play on words
- Hong Gil Dong is the title character of their 2008 sageuk. Throughout the series, the name 'Hong Gil Dong' is discussed as if it isn't one person in particular, i.e. Hong Gil Dong is alive through you. Hong Gil Dong is a placeholder name in Korea, like John Doe.
- Also, the Korean title is Sharp Knife/Blade/Sword Hong Gil Dong. In the ending narration, the monk says, "The sword that looks the world in the face, takes note of it, and changes it — in any world, there must be a Hong Gil Dong." That is, anyone who stands up against injustice is a sword, or anyone is Hong Gil Dong.
- You're Beautiful - The title in Korean is "Mi-nam-i shi-ne-yo", which can be translated to He's/She's/You're Beautiful or He's/She's/You're Mi Nam because there is no pronoun. The main character is also pretending to be "Mi Nam", or rather, she is Mi Nam.
- My Girlfriend Is (a) Nine-Tailed Fox. Nine-tailed fox = gumiho. In Korean, there would be no indefinite article, so the title is literally My Girlfiend is Gumiho. The main character is called Gu Mi Ho for most of the drama.
- Best Love was previously called The Discovery of Affection. The main character's name is Ae-jung (affection).
- Hurricane of Euphemisms/Hurricane of Puns: Their characters' tend to use puns and metaphors as euphemism for their feelings.
- Imagine Spot
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Keeping Secrets Sucks
- Lampshade Hanging
- Love Triangle
- Standard Female Grab Area