Specializing in licensed, episodic adventure games
, Telltale Games was formed in 2004 by disgruntled LucasArts
workers when Sam & Max: Freelance Police
They're very clearly Doing It for the Art
, releasing all sorts of machinimas
in between games to appeal to the fans. The interpretation of Hell seen in Sam And Max is very clearly modelled on their own office. They even published a complete Sam And Max
comics treasury (the first in 12 years), Surfin' the Highway
, and commissioned a new comic from Steve Purcell.
Games and game series by Telltale Games includes:
A licensed game based on Game of Thrones
was announced in 2013.
Tropes that have to do with Telltale Games:
- Darker and Edgier: Hector and The Walking Dead are by far their darkest games yet.
- Doing It for the Art
- Expanded Universe: Most of their games are sequels or parts of a greater whole to the original work in some way.
- No Problem with Licensed Games: They try their hardest to consistently avoid the reputation most licensed games have. If there's any company you'd want to make a game of your favorite movie or show, Telltale Games has the best track record for financially successful games that fans enjoy.
- Obvious Beta: Many of thier games have lots of Game Breaking Bugs. It makes you wonder if they even test their games before releasing them.
- One infamous example is in Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. In the Wii port of Homestar Ruiner, if the Wii is set to widescreen mode, and if the player talks to Coach Z in Extended Play, the game will freeze.
- Wii ports of Sam & Max: Freelance Police tend to have the cursor permanently stuck in the lower right corner of the screen, among many other bugs.
- Production Posse: Roger L. Jackson and Andrew Chaikin pop up a lot, among others.
- Revisiting The Roots: They've experimented with much more dramatic or dynamic story-telling for quite a while, and state that they intend for Poker Night 2 (featuring Ash Williams, Brock Samson, Claptrap, and Sam as players, while GLaDOS deals.) to be much more humorous.
"It's great to revisit our roots after the success of The Walking Dead
. People might not know that we have a strong history of humor in our games and players are going to find a lot of laughs in Poker Night 2
, Poker Night 2
is another example of our ability to work with phenomenal partners and bring great characters to life in the gaming universe."
- In the sequel, Sam is 3D, Ash has a stylized 3D model, Brock Samson is cel-shaded and Claptrap has a 3D model with thick black comic book-esque lines, true to his source material.
- Running Gag: The drink Banang has popped up in some form or another throughout their games.
- Wham Episode: They have a penchant for this, with quite possibly their best examples being Sam & Max: Season 3, Episode 5, Back to the Future Episode 3, and Tales of Monkey Island Episode 4. The Walking Dead takes this to a whole new level, with practically every episode being this in some way.