is a South Korean
animation studio. They started doing animation in 1979 (though they existed as a company as early as 1974), first working on South Korean productions, then for Disney
nearly a decade later and have since become one of the busier overseas animation studios.
Back in The Nineties
, Sunwoo had a few companies spun-off from it: Anivision (in 1991), Grimsaem (in 1997), and Sunwoo Digital (in 1998). In 2000, however, the spin-offs were all sucked back into the main studionote
. They also have a toy company (Named Mocom Toys; making them one of two Korean animation studios that owns a toy company)note
, responsible for releasing Hasbro
toys (as well as stuff for Thomas the Tank Engine
In addition to Disney, Sunwoo and its spin-offs have also worked for Universal
, Cookie Jar Entertainment
, 20th Century Fox
, and, of course, Nickelodeon
Compare Toon City
(another studio that got its start with Disney), TMS Entertainment
, Wang Film Productions
, Rough Draft Studios
, the Walt Disney Animation Units
, and Kennedy Cartoons
, other studios that Sunwoo and its spin-offs have worked alongside.
Shows worked on by Sunwoo, Anivision, Grimsaem, and Sunwoo Digital (Studio section in brackets):
- 101 Dalmatians: The Series (Sunwoo, seven episodes)List
- Aaahh!!! Real Monsters (Anivision)
- Aladdin (TV Series, Sunwoo; 21 episodes)
- American Dad! (Sunwoo)
- The Angry Beavers (Sunwoo; unaired pilot only)
- Angry Birds (Sunwoo; 2D animations only)
- As Told by Ginger (Anivision/Sunwoo Digital International)
- Baby Blues (Sunwoo)
- Bonkers (Sunwoo; 20 episodes)
- Buzz Lightyear of Star Command (Sunwoo)
- ChalkZone (Sunwoo)
- Chibi Maruko-chan (Sunwoo, licensing through Nippon Animation)
- Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers (Sunwoo, the company's first notable work)
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury (Sunwoo)
- Cro (Sunwoo, Anivision)
- Darkwing Duck (Sunwoo; 40 episodes, camera services for two Walt Disney Animation France episodes)
- Duckman (Sunwoo/Anivision; 70 episodes total)
- Family Guy (Grimsaem in seasons 1-3; seasons 4-6 is Sunwoo Digital/Sunwoo)
- Fatherhood (Sunwoo)
- Gargoyles (Sunwoo)
- Goof Troop (Sunwoo; 17 episodes)
- Hercules [TV seres] (Sunwoo) Trivia
- Hey Arnold! (pilot only, Anivision)
- Invader Zim (Sunwoo)
- Johnny Bravo (Sunwoo)
- Jumanji (Sunwoo)
- King of the Hill (Anivision; 3 episodes)List
- Kung Fu Dino Posse (Sunwoo)
- Lilo & Stitch: The Series (Sunwoo)
- Lloyd in Space (Sunwoo)
- Metajets (Sunwoo)
- Megas XLR (Sunwoo; season 2 only, five episodes)List
- Mix Master (Sunwoo)
- Mr. Bean (animated series; Sunwoo on certain episodes)
- íMucha Lucha! (Sunwoo)
- The Mummy The Animated Series (Sunwoo)
- The New Woody Woodpecker Show (Sunwoo)
- Pepper Ann (Sunwoo)
- Quack Pack (Sunwoo)
- Recess (Sunwoo/Grimsaem/Anivision) (Grimsaem did most of season one and the theme song, Sunwoo did the rest of season one, assorted traditional cel episodes for the rest of the series (along with Plus One Animation), and Recess: School's Out, and Anivision the (better animated) digitally colored episodes (along with Toon City))
- Rocket Power (Anivision/Sunwoo Digital International)
- Rocko's Modern Life (First 3 Seasons except domestically-animated pilot, Sunwoo)
- Rugrats (Season 2 onwards, Anivision/Grimsaem (Movies)/Sunwoo; S1 done by Wang)
- Santo Bugito (Anivision)
- The Simpsons (Seasons 3-10, Anivision; 56 episodes)
- Sofia the First (Sunwoo)
- Son of the Mask (Sunwoo, Animated sequences only. Movie with Industrial Light and Magic, Illusion Arts, Digital Dimension, Pacific Title and Tippett Studio)
- Space Goofs (Sunwoo/Anivision)
- Special Agent Oso (Sunwoo)
- TaleSpin (Sunwoo)
- Teamo Supremo (Sunwoo
- Timon & Pumbaa (Sunwoo; two episodes: "Isle of Manhood", "Timon on the Range")
- Transformers (Mocom Toy, later Sunwoo; Toyline distribution in South Korea since the 2007 film)
- Van Helsing The London Assignment (Sunwoo; with Production I.G)
- The Weekenders (Sunwoo)
- The Wild Thornberrys (Anivision/Sunwoo Digital International)
- Winnie The Pooh and Christmas Too (Sunwoo; provided Ink & Paint/Camera services for Walt Disney Animation France)
- Xiaolin Chronicles (Sunwoo, 2D and CG Animation. Series with Digital eMation)
- Yobi, the Five-Tailed Fox (Sunwoo)
Tropes found in the works of Sunwoo and its spin offs:
- All-CGI Cartoon: Has made and/or distributed several of these.
- Animation Bump: Grimsaem's feature film work, as well as their work on Recess.
- Animesque: Mix Master and Yobi.
- Conspicuous CG
- Deranged Animation: Plenty of moments in Aaahh! Real Monsters.
- Medium Blending: Several shows.
- No Export for You/Bad Export for You: How they've treated the South Korean releases of the Transformers toy line. Animated's especially.
- Off Model: A common complaint with the company's Disney projects. That, and how their animation as a whole looks bland and uninteresting compared to some of the higher quality studios like Walt Disney Japan and Australia.
- Reportedly, Joe Murray was less than satisfied with their work on Rocko's Modern Life, and switched to Rough Draft Studios for its final season because of this.
- Their first few Recess episodes were extremely off-model, most notably "Jinxed", "To Finster With Love", "Big Brother Chad", and "The Legend of Big Kid". However, these occurrences lessened as season one went on, and have since been considered to be one of the best animation departments for the show.
- On the commentaries on The Simpsons DVD sets, the staff didn't mention Anivision by name. But they did mention on one of their episodes ("I Married Marge") that the overseas studio at the time was having difficulty with the size of the pupils. Indeed, it was quite common for the characters in episodes animated by Anivision to have large pupils, as if the characters were perpetually stoned.