Sir Trevor McDonald was the first black newsreader in the UK and carried on doing this until 2008.
As well as being the presenter of News At Ten
, he has presented a number of other shows (Undercover Customs
, Tonight with Trevor MacDonald
) and hosts awards shows.
He's notable for his distinct voice, "And finally"
and being a generally cool guy.
He's been parodied too - Lenny Henry
did a memorable parody of him in Tiswas
("Trevor McDoughnut"), and he was also impersonated on Dead Ringers
Provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: The aforementioned character of Trevor McDoughnut on Tiswas. McDonald evidently saw the funny side himself, because he actually appeared on the show as a guest.
- Cool Old Guy: Definitely counts here. He is a very respected man, to the point he is like Stephen Fry in that no one can really say anything bad about him and he is instantly recognisable.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: As a news presenter, naturally.
- 10-Minute Retirement: ITV keeps dragging him back to resuscitate their news coverage. He's also doing a lot of documentaries now, such as a recent one about the Mississippi.
- Yet Another Baby Panda: "And finally..." Associated with finishing News At Ten programmes with a reassuring human interest story.