Sir Trevor MacDonald was the first black newsreader in the UK and is still going, having come out of retirement to host the revived News At Ten
As well as being the presenter of News At Ten
, he has presented a number of other shows (Undercover Customs
, Tonight with Trevor MacDonald
) and hosts awards shows.
He's notable for his distinct voice, "And finally"
and being a generally cool guy.
He's been parodied too - Lenny Henry
did a memorable parody of him in Tiswas
("Trevor McDoughnut"), and he was also impersonated on Dead Ringers
Provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: The aforementioned character of Trevor McDoughnut on Tiswas. McDonald evidently saw the funny side himself, because he actually appeared on the show as a guest.
- Cool Old Guy: Definitely counts here. He is a very respected man, to the point he is like Stephen Fry in that no-one can really say anything bad about him and is instantly recognisable.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: As a news presenter, naturally.
- 10-Minute Retirement: ITV keeps dragging him back to resuscitate their news coverage.
- He's also doing a lot of documentaries now, such as a recent one about the Mississippi.
- Yet Another Baby Panda: "And finally..." Associated with finishing News At Ten programmes with a reassuring human interest story.