... "and here are tonight's top stories."
Seth Meyers was Saturday Night Live
's former head writer and Weekend Update anchor. Born in 1973 and raised in New Hampshire, he attended Northwestern University and joined the cast of SNL in 2001, making him the second longest-running cast member of all time (after Darrell Hammond who was on the show from 1995 to 2009, a whopping 14 years). He began co-anchoring Weekend Update in 2006 with Amy Poehler
, and continued to do so even after Poehler's departure from the show in 2008.
Prior to being a Weekend Update anchor, Seth was just an ordinary SNL
cast member who got his start during the 2001-2002 season (season 27; the season that saw the show [and America at large] trying to recover from the 9/11 attacks and the end of Will Ferrell
's and Ana Gasteyer's respective runs on the show). Meyers' recurring characters included Nerod (the Appalachian Emergency Room receptionist who had to listen to how rednecks got injured — including repeat patient, Tylernote
who always comes in with an outrageous story of how he got something shoved up his butt), David Clinger (a doctor/scientist with an insult comic streak), Zach Ricky (the host of a hidden-camera prank show that always goes wrong when an older fan comes in with video evidence of murder), and Dan Needler (one half of "The Couple That Should Be Divorced." His wife was, coincidentally, played by his then-future Weekend Update anchor, Amy Poehler) and whose celebrity impressions included Andre Agassi, Ewan MacGregor, Hugh Grant, Senator John Kerry, Peyton Manning, Brian Williams, Matt Lauer, and coincidentally
, Anderson Cooper considering that in the final Weekend Update of the 38th season, Seth Meyers saved Bill Hader's Stefon character from marrying Anderson Cooper by beating Cooper up during the ceremony
Has a younger brother named Josh Meyers (who looks like Seth note
, except Josh is a redhead and is three years younger note
), who was a cast member on SNL
's former rival sketch show MADtv
from season eight to season nine, then played Randy on the final season of That '70s Show
Meyers took over Late Night
, replacing Jimmy Fallon
, meaning that Seth's reign as Weekend Update anchor and head writer on SNL
has come to an end. Meyers is now the longest-running Weekend Update anchor, beating out Tina Fey
and Dennis Miller
. His successors for Weekend Update are his new co-anchor Cecily Strong and his co-writer Colin Jost (as of the March 2014 SNL
episode hosted by Jim Parsons.
He also has a series on Hulu called The Awesomes
For those of you who are interested, he's on Twitter
- Ambiguously Jewish: In late March 2012, he spoke at the University of Florida; unbeknownst to him, he was also considered the keynote speaker for the university's Jewish Awareness month. When told this during Q&A, he confirmed that he is in fact not Jewish (although he understands why people think he is) and that UF's Jewish Awareness is pretty bad.
- Deadpan Snarker: Meyers is somewhere between Brad Hallnote and Norm MacDonald on the "Snarkiest Weekend Update Anchor" scale.
- Demoted To Weekend Update Anchor: Ever since season 32 note , Meyers hasn't been in any sketch outside of Weekend Update, possibly due to becoming a head writer. He has appeared in some sketches (like in the "Original Kings of Catchphrase Comedy" pretaped sketches as Boston Powers note ), but it's rare.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today? and Even the Guys Want Him: Played for Laughs on Weekend Update during the Ho Yay-tastic Stefon segments.
- Odd Couple: With Martha Stewart, of all people. Watching his frequent appearances on Stewart's show is both bizarre and thoroughly entertaining.
- Mentioned on a fake SNL commercial for a photo studio specializing in taking cell phone pictures of men's penises. Seth Meyers' testimonial ends with him saying, "You're welcome, Martha Stewart."
- Platonic Life Partners: He often refers to Amy Poehler as his "best friend" and during his Weekend Update run even signed off each of his segments by tapping the desk where she used to sit.
- Sibling Rivalry: There was a time when Seth and his brother, Josh, were on rival sketch shows. Seth was on Saturday Night Live and Josh was on MADtv. Seth even used a commentary section on Weekend Update (remember, this is back when he was just a cast member and not a Weekend Update anchor) to talk to his dad and told him to stop watching his brother on MADtv and pay attention to him.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: "Really??" tends to be this towards a specific individual.
- Take That: His excellent roast of Donald Trump at the White House Correspondents Dinner in 2011. Made even better by the fact that Trump was sitting right in front of him, visibly furious.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Typical of his impressions during his years as a repertory cast member (from season 27 to season 31 note . Near the end they began to veer into Not Even Bothering with the Accent territory. Particularly hilarious when you take into account that he lived in Europe for several years and his brother, Josh, is better at accents and voices than he is as evidenced on his two-year stint on MADtv.
- Weirdness Magnet: The characters Meyers interacts with on Weekend Update are all very bizarre and the only thing Seth can do is play straight man to their craziness. Some notable examples of crazy include: Bill Hader as Stefon and James Carville, Andy Samberg as Nicolas Cage, Kristen Wiig as Aunt Linda and Lana Del Rey (when news hit that her performance on SNL confirmed many critics' beliefs that Del Rey was a terrible singer), Fred Armisen as David Patterson (the blind former governor of New York State former governor who would always make jokes about how bad New Jersey is), Bobby Moynihan as Drunk Uncle, Anthony Crispino, and Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi from Jersey Shore, Cecily Strong as The Girl You Wish You Hadn't Started a Conversation With at a Party, and Kate McKinnon as Cecilia Gimineznote and Anne Romney.