Creator: Scarlett Johansson
(November 22, 1984-) is an American actress of Danish and Jewish descent. She started acting at a young age, debuting in North
, then later got attention for roles in The Horse Whisperer
and Ghost World
. She then broke through in 2003 with both Lost in Translation
(which she won a BAFTA for) and the adaptation of Girl with a Pearl Earring
. She has developed a close working relationship with Woody Allen
, appearing in major roles in three of his films. She also won a Tony Award for her performance in the 2010 revival of A View from the Bridge
. She's also Black Widow
in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
Scarlett also has a music career goin' on. She first gained attention from indie kids for appearing onstage during the first concert of a reunited The Jesus and Mary Chain
to sing backing vocals on "Just Like Honey." She then proceeded to make an album full of Dream Pop
covers of Tom Waits
songs, and managed to bring David Bowie
to sing on one of the songs. She also appears on the compilation album Unexpected Dreams: Songs From the Stars
and on the song soundtrack for He's Just Not That Into You
; she's also performed the Oscar-nominated "Before My Time" for Chasing Ice
(in which she doesn't appear) and "The Moon Song" with Joaquin Phoenix
(in which she does
Scarlett's directorial debut, unlike that of her one-time
co-star Natalie Portman
, was cut from the anthology film New York, I Love You
; but fans of Miss Johansson (and Kevin Bacon
, who stars in the short) can see it on the DVD as an extra. She's set to make her feature directing bow in 2014 with an adaptation of Truman Capote's Summer Crossing
(as with the aforementioned short, she also scripted).
She was married to Ryan Reynolds
between 2008 and 2011, and in 2014, became the mother of daughter Rose via her second husband Romain Dauriac.She is now attached to star in a Hollywood adaptation of ''Ghost in the Shell''.
Asian-Americans and anime fans are rather unhappy
that yet another white person got cast in a clearly Asian role.
Her Films Include:
- Anywhere I Lay My Head (2008)
- Break Up (with Pete Yorn) (2009)
Provides examples of:
- Action Girl: As Black Widow, obviously, but see also Lucy.
- The Cast Showoff: Can, and will, burst into song at every chance. Even in The Other Boleyn Girl. Lampshaded in He's Just Not That Into You in that, although we get to see her singing in one of the final scenes, we don't actually hear it (although her song is on the soundtrack album).
- Celebrity Voice Actor: She's lent her husky tones to Mindy in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, Samantha in Her, and various characters on Robot Chicken.
- Dawson Casting: Inverted. She was seventeen when making Lost in Translation. Her character is a college graduate.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Even the Girls Want Her: Katy Perry and Lois Griffin are among those who love her.
- Fake Brit:
- In The Prestige and The Other Boleyn Girl.
- Although two of her three Woody Allen films are set in London, she plays an American in all three.
- In-story in Under The Skin; she plays an alien who pretends to be a British woman.
- Fanservice: See Lost in Translation, Iron Man 2, He's Just Not That Into You, The Spirit and The Avengers. Not to mention the Panty Shot in The Perfect Score.
- Going Commando: According to her, the Spy Catsuit for The Avengers was so tight, she ended up having to do this to be comfortable.
- Ms. Fanservice
- No Export for You: Unusually for Scarlett (and for Woody Allen), Scoop didn't get a British theatrical or DVD release, going straight to television (A Love Song For Bobby Long is the only other film with Johansson in recent memory not to get cinema release - or any other kind of release - in the UK).
- The Other Marty: To Samantha Morton in Her
- Platonic Life Partners: With Chris Evans. She has stated in interviews that her close friendship with him contributed very much to their onscreen chemistry in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
- Those Two Actors:
- Vocal Dissonance: Has a surprisingly deep and husky voice.
- What Could Have Been: Apparently, she insisted on going topless in The Island but director Michael Bay wouldn't let her.