Saoirse Una Ronan
(born April 12, 1994; her name is prounounced "Seer-sha" and is the Irish Gaelic word for "freedom") is an Irish film actress best known for her roles in Atonement
(for which she recieved an Academy Award
nomination) and The Lovely Bones
. She is known for her portrayal of mature characters, who rarely are Irish
.She also has a Twitter
This actress provides examples of:
- Dyeing for Your Art: She'll be a redhead in Byzantium◊ and The Host◊ and light blonde in How I Live Now◊.
- Fake Nationality: Her specialty. Saoirse has played English, Scottish, Polish and Finnish characters. She's also played a couple of Americans but since she was born in New York (to Irish parents) that may or may not count. Her role as Agatha in The Grand Budapest Hotel is the first time she's used her real accent in a film (although her character is actually a citizen of a fictional Central European country).
- Playing Against Type: Hanna is easily her most physical role.
- Star-Making Role: Briony Tallis in Atonement.
- What Could Have Been:
- Auditioned for the role of Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter, which went to Evanna Lynch.
- Turned down the role of Lyra in The Golden Compass because she didn't want such a long-term commitment to a project. Fears turned out to be unfounded anyway, as the film wasn't successful enough to warrant a full trilogy.
- Auditioned for the part of Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games.
- She had to turn down the part of Tauriel in The Hobbit because of other commitments.