"Sam Riegel's voice gives him super strength!"
Sam Riegel (also known as Sam Regal, or to Spike Spencer
, "The Gay Man with the Fan"
) is a voice actor, writer and director who has worked on both 4Kids Entertainment
dubs and too many California dubs to list, as well as video games, original animation series and on-camera roles. He is often typecast as a Muggle
or one of Those Two Guys
, but when he's not, he'll probably be a hammy
He is one of the hosts of Geek Pad, part of the ComedyComedy channel
. He has been nominated for a 2009 Daytime Emmy for his writing on Imaginary Bitches. He's recently started a podcast, "Allworknoplay
", with fellow voice actor Liam O Brien
Has a Twitter account
You are not going to spell his name right on the first try.
He's the older brother of Eden Riegel
; a live-action actress who in the recent years entered the voice acting business.
Notable roles by Sam Riegel:
Tropes associated with Sam Riegel:
- Large Ham: A lot of characters he voices fit into this, regardless if he's typecast or Playing Against Type.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: A large majority of the characters he voices are Ridiculously average characters (Taniguchi and Minoru Shiraishi, Stahl, and Donnel) or badasses with no supernatural abilities (Flynn Scifo, Stahl and Donnel); and if they aren't, they tend to be eccentric and quirky that can get the job done (Mephisto Pheles, Phoenix Wright, Array, and Teddie).
- His typecast is heavily Double Subverted in Yashiro in K, where he is actually an 80 so years old German scientist who got body-swapped into a 17-year-old high school student thanks to the main antagonist.
- Playing Against Type: Viral, Starscream, and Mouri Motonari.
- Promoted Fanboy: When he announced he was the voice of Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, he also mentioned on Twitter that he's a big fan of the Ace Attorney games.
- Relationship Voice Actor: Very recently with Matthew Mercer. The two starred opposite each other in K and Tales of Xillia, and both of them are in Fire Emblem Awakening as well. They both also serve as replacements for popular characters in Persona 4, with Riegal replacing Teddie after the first game and Mercer replacing Troy Baker as Kanji in Ultimax and Q.
- Is best friends in real life with Liam O Brien, who challenged the both of them to pick a male VA they would marry if given the option. The hard part of the challenge was that they couldn't pick each other.
- Also invoked in Guilty Gear Xrd, where he voices Ky while Eden Riegel, his younger sister, voices May.
- Star-Making Role: Donatello in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 and Shirou Emiya in Fate/stay night (the latter as a California-based actor).