"Sam Riegel's voice gives him super strength!"Sam Riegel (also known as Sam Regal, or to Spike Spencer, "The Gay Man with the Fan") is a voice actor, writer and director who has worked on both 4Kids Entertainment dubs and too many California dubs to list, as well as video games, original animation series and on-camera roles. He is often typecast as a Muggle or one of Those Two Guys, but when he's not, he'll probably be a hammy antagonist.He is one of the hosts of Geek Pad, part of the ComedyComedy channel on YouTube. He has been nominated for a 2009 Daytime Emmy for his writing on Imaginary Bitches. He also started a podcast, "Allworknoplay", with fellow voice actor Liam O'Brien.Has a Twitter account.You are not going to spell his name right on the first try.He's the older brother of Eden Riegel; a live-action actress who in the recent years entered the voice acting business. Robbie Daymond and Max Mittelman are shaping up to be his Spiritual Successors.
Notable roles by Sam Riegel:
- Abhmad Saluja, Dolji and Spartos in Magi – Labyrinth of Magic
- Array Danon Ci in Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne
- Clovis la Britannia in Code Geass
- Faust VIII in Shaman King
- Gunter von Christ in Kyo Kara Maoh!
- Kudamon in Digimon: Data Squad
- Li'l Slugger in Paranoia Agent
- Maki Ichinose in Bleach
- Mephisto Pheles in Blue Exorcist
- Minoru Shiraishi in Lucky Star (as an allusion to him playing Taniguchi)
- Rex Raptor, Arkana/Pandora, and the first voice of Tristan Taylor in Yu-Gi-Oh!
- Shinobu Morita in Honey and Clover
- Shirou Emiya in Fate/stay night (Darrin'd by Bryce Papenbrook in Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works])
- Shuuichirou Oishi in The Prince of Tennis
- Souichirou Kadotake in Ghost Talkers Daydream
- Taniguchi in Haruhi Suzumiya and The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
- Viral in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- Wan Derbard in K.O. Beast
- Yajiro Kojima in Grenadier
- Yashiro Isana in K
- Zaku, Baki, Rinji, and the first voice of Shino Aburame in Naruto
- Allegretto in Eternal Sonata
- Azel and Ravel in God Hand
- Braham Eirsson in Guild Wars 2
- Edward Chris von Muir in the remake of Final Fantasy IV
- Flynn Scifo in Tales of Vesperia and The First Strike
- King Jibral in the Blue Dragon video game, and Jiro in the anime
- Kanata in Trinity Universe
- Kazuki Sendo in To Heart
- Ky Kiske in Guilty Gear Xrd
- Mori Motonari in Sengoku Basara (both the anime and Samurai Heroes)
- Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
- Renya Kagurazaka in The Guided Fate Paradox
- Silabus in Dot Hack GU
- Spider-Man in The Amazing Spider-Man video game
- Stahl and Donnel in Fire Emblem Awakening
- Starscream in Transformers: War for Cybertron and Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
- Steve Burnside in Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
- Teddie in Persona 4 Arena, Persona 4: The Animation, and Persona 4: Golden (replacing Dave Wittenberg)
- "Tennessee Kid" Cooper in Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time
- Yuto Kannagi/York Neely in Cross Edge
- Zor in Sonic Lost World
- Scanlan Shorthalt in Critical Role
- Donatello, Dark Donatello, and Dr. Chaplin in the 2003 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series
- Emperor Awesome in Wander over Yonder (also the show's voice director)
- Vampos in Mixels
Tropes associated with Sam Riegel:
- Large Ham: A lot of characters he voices fit into this, regardless if he's typecast or Playing Against Type.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: A large majority of the characters he voices are Ridiculously average characters (Taniguchi and Minoru Shiraishi, Stahl, and Donnel) or badasses with no supernatural abilities (Flynn Scifo, Stahl and Donnel); and if they aren't, they tend to be eccentric and quirky that can get the job done (Mephisto Pheles, Phoenix Wright, Array, and Teddie).
- Playing Against Type: Viral, Starscream, and Mouri Motonari.
- Promoted Fanboy: When he announced he was the voice of Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, he also mentioned on Twitter that he's a big fan of the Ace Attorney games.
- Relationship Voice Actor: Very recently with Matthew Mercer. The two starred opposite each other in K and Tales of Xillia, and both of them are in Fire Emblem Awakening as well. They both also serve as replacements for popular characters in Persona 4, with Riegal replacing Teddie after the first game and Mercer replacing Troy Baker as Kanji in Ultimax and Q.
- Is best friends in real life with Liam O'Brien, who challenged the both of them to pick a male VA they would marry if given the option. The hard part of the challenge was that they couldn't pick each other.
- Also invoked in Guilty Gear Xrd, where he voices Ky while Eden Riegel, his younger sister, voices May. And sure enough, both Liam O'Brien and Matthew Mercer pop up there as Axl and Zato respectively (also, Sam was succeeding Liam in the role of Ky).
- Before Xrd, both played Sam and Eden provided voices in Persona 4 Golden: the former provided the voice of Teddie, and the latter, Marie.
- Star-Making Role: Donatello in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Shirou Emiya in Fate/stay night (the latter as a California-based actor).