Ryan Rodney Reynolds (born 1976) is a Canadian actor who is most recognizable as the eponymous Van Wilder
, the role which cemented his dual trademarks of adept comic timing and weirdly charming cockiness
, made him a big star and almost fatally typecast him. More recently, he got to branch out a bit in big films as Wade Wilson/Deadpool
in X-Men Origins: Wolverine
and Hal Jordan in the Green Lantern
film. In his lesser known work
, he's also proven himself an exceedingly fine dramatic actor who can turn off the familiar sardonic persona. He was named one of the sexiest men alive in a recent issue of People
Sometimes he contributes to the Huffington Post. Oh, and be sure not to confuse him with another Canadian actor
who plays a character named Malcolm Reynolds
& also used to star in Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place
. Also, don't confuse him with the anime voice actress Ryan Reynolds.
He was previously married to Scarlett Johansson
and is currently married to Blake Lively
This actor provides examples of:
- Carpet of Virility: Looks good. Very good.
- Deadpan Snarker: If he isn't saying something sarcastic and witty, its a pretty good sign that shit just got real.
- Fake American: Almost every role he plays is this. Most people don't realize he's Canadian.
- Handsome Lech
- The Irish Diaspora: Reynolds is an Irish name.
- Mr. Fanservice: Frequently, not without reason. Even in scary roles.
- Best Week Ever called the remake of The Amityville Horror starring him "the scariest movie you'll ever masturbate to".
- One of Us: Reynolds is a big fan of Deadpool. He also auditioned for every comic book character that existed until he finally landed a role (and luck behold, he's now the iconic Hal Jordan/Green Lantern).
- Old Shame: Reynolds is pretty ashamed of his role in the short-lived Nickelodeon teen drama "Fifteen." He once admitted that he almost gave up acting entirely because of that show, only continuing his career after discovering there were better acting jobs available.
- Playing Against Type: Quite a few of his roles such as Buried and The Amityville Horror. He can be pretty damn scary when he wants to be.
- Promoted Fanboy: Subverted, he wasn't into comics until relatively recently, in which case he became a fanboy, roughly the same time he actually started playing comic book characters. In fact the only reason he became a fan of Deadpool is after being compared to him by Deadpool himself. Extra points for him...he's been cast to play Deadpool in the movie adaptation.