"I'm Russell Peters, world famous sex addict and rocket scientist, just kidding, I don't know shit about rockets."
-The man himself introducing himself on The Dating GuyIf Kal Penn represents Indians in America, Russell Peters represents the community in Canada.Russell Peters was born in Toronto, Ontario to Eric and Maureen Peters, and raised in Brampton. He is of Anglo-Indian descent. His father was born in Bombay, India and worked as a federal meat Inspector and his mother was born in Calcutta, India. He has an older brother named
This performer provides examples of:
- Catch Phrase:
(in a Cantonese accent) "Be a man!"
- For himself:
- For his now late father:
(in an Indian accent) "Take it and go!"
- Mimicking an Indian salesman:
- Chekhov's Gun: He will often make a joke or ask some people in the audience to recite their names near the start of his routine, then call back to the joke or to that person/those people in the audience later on.
- Clasp Your Hands If You Deceive: Done visually sometimes in jokes involving something sneaky.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: If his anecdotes regarding his childhood and his father are to be believed.
- Oh Crap! / This Is Gonna Suck: Russell's reaction to hearing his dad's Catch Phrase as a kid.
- Pals with Jesus: Played for Laughs in any joke involving his Mexican friend, Jésus."I like hanging out with Jésus, man. This is my friend, the Son of God."
- Running Gag: Quite a few but nearly every routine is guaranteed to have the one below.Chinese Audience Members: (cheering) Woo!Russell Peters: Look at them yelling out their last names... so proud.
- He will also ask where X ethnicity is in the audience throughout the show.
- Schmuck Bait: In one DVD performance, he starts singing the tune to the 'Chicken Dance'. Some audience members partake in the clapping segment and he immediately calls them out on it.Russell: (jokingly) "You losers."
- Toilet Humor: Happens at times.