Creator: Rondo Hatton
Late Rondo Hatton was an American actor who appeared in various B Movies before his death in 1946.His striking physical features were caused by a growth hormone disorder called acromegaly, which was also known to affect the late André the Giant and Richard Kiel.Due to his condition, he'd usually play a thug of some kind. This lead to his role as the backbreaking murderer known as "The Creeper", who appeared in three Universal films late to his career, which cemented his status as a cult actor.Partial filmography:
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939) — "Ugly man"
- The Ox Bow Incident (1943) — Gabe Hart
- The Pearl of Death (1944) — The Creeper
- The Spider Woman Strikes Back (1946) — Mario
- House of Horrors (1946) — The Creeper
- The Brute Man (1946) — The Creeper
The man exemplifies these tropes:
- Comic Book Fantasy Casting: Characters that look like Hatton have appeared in Swamp Thing (as a psychic) and Judge Dredd (a crooked lawyer).
- Expy: His looks were copied for the brutish Lothar in The Rocketeer, and one of the aliens in Men in Black II.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: He was reportedly a very nice guy.
- Pretty Boy: Believe it or not, before he was afflicted with acromagely, he was this.◊ He was said to be quite the charmer and ladies' man, too.
- Type Casting: His roles as thugs and murderers.