Cartoonist Phil Foglio's famous comic books include Girl Genius (co-written with his wife Kaja), and Buck Godot: Zap Gun for Hire.He is also the writer and artist of the gaming comic What's New? with Phil and Dixie.Other career highlights include Myth Adventures (a comic book adaptation of the novels by Robert Asprin), and a number of miniseries for DC Comics (including a well-received revival of Stanley and His Monster that managed to make the fluffy whimsical series into part of The DCU without making it Darker and Edgier). He's also done artwork for a number of Magic: The Gathering and Munchkin cards and for Spiderweb Software's Nethergate and Avernum 1-3.He is also partly responsible for the little red devil "Beastie" or "BSD Daemon"◊, the mascot of BSD operating systems. While the canon image was created in the 1980s by John Lasseter, the idea originated from this Foglio's 1976 picture with visual puns on such UNIX concepts as daemons, forks, pipes, overflows, leaks, bit bucket, /dev/null.He co-wrote the novel Illegal Aliens with Nick Pollotta.
Works by Phil Foglio with their own trope pages include:
- Angel and the Ape (1991 miniseries)
- Buck Godot: Zap Gun for Hire
- Girl Genius
- Illegal Aliens
- Myth Adventures
- Stanley and His Monster (1993 miniseries)
- What's New? with Phil and Dixie
- SPANC Space Pirate Amazon Ninja Catgirls
Other works by Phil Foglio provide examples of:
- Author Avatar: A fellow in a white turtleneck sweater and black bowler hat who makes cameo appearances in various works, is Phil the presenter of What's New?, and is a minor but significant character in Girl Genius. He also appears in one Munden's Bar story as a fill-in bartender while the regular one is on holiday.
- Awesome McCoolname: All his illustrations for the Magic: The Gathering set Unglued are credited to Claymore J. Flapdoodle.
- Bleached Underpants: XXXenophile, as the name suggests, consists of sci-fi and fantasy themed porn (albeit with a generous helping of plot and humor), which may be a surprise to people who discovered Girl Genius first. Though Phil will still cheerfully refer to himself as a "Gentleman Pornographer", the series is on hiatus while he and Kaja are raising kids.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Some of the Avernum pictures in particular demand a closer look.
- Ms. Fanservice: Almost any female character under the age of 40 (and undoubtedly a few over) who appear in his comics. This is also paired with Mr. Fanservice, exemplified best in the spoof-Cinderella.
- Nice Hat: The black bowler hat worn by his author avatar, sometimes hinted to have amazing powers.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: The Winslow. Disintegrator beams just tickle a bit. He's reputed to have survived the end of the universe more than once.
- Running Gag:
- The Winslow, a little plush alligator with a cheery attitude who may or may not be the cornerstone of creation, appears all over Phil's work. All hail.
- Also the "Growf" dragons. These were pink, cute, harmless, and subject to explosive parthenogenesis - getting them wet caused them to duplicate at extreme speed. Introduced in What's New? with Phil and Dixie, reappeared in Myth Adventures.
- Signature Style: A very distinctive and recognisable one, which includes: