Shabooyah.Paul Stephen Rudd
(b. 1969, or so he claims
) is an American actor, screenwriter, and producer, and if you're watching one of his movies, there's a good chance that he's playing either a Jerkass
, the Only Sane Man
, or some combination thereof. Judd Apatow
likes working with him. So do the Stella
guys. Between them all, he's appeared in nearly every major American comedy (save for The Hangover
) produced in the past ten years.
On December 19, 2015, Rudd is set to star
in the upcoming 2015 Marvel Cinematic Universe
, as Scott Lang, the second Ant-Man
and the main protagonist.
He provides examples of:
- Bromantic Comedy: He's starred in many of them.
- The Cast Showoff: He's a fantastic dancer, and directors like to work it into the film if they can.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: His expansive resume and penchant for making cameos in films directed by his friends basically ensures that even if you don't know his name, you definitely recognize his face.
- In Name Only: His adaptation of 'Admission' appears to be a Rom Com with some grossout humor. The novel it is based on is fairly dramatic with a romantic subplot. Half the scenes in the trailer do not appear in the novel, and an entire subplot seems to have disappeared. The trailer also leaves off the main plot of the novel, which is not terrible since the novel doesn't really get to that plot until 400 pages in.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Tends to play a lot of jerk asses and handsome leches, but his character in Wet Hot American Summer cranks it Up to Eleven.
- Money, Dear Boy: Honestly, how else does one explain Over Her Dead Body or Overnight Delivery?
- Older than They Look: The man seems to have just stopped ageing in the mid-nineties.
- Old Shame: He's not exactly thrilled to talk about some of his older projects, such as Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers.
- One of Us: He's a self-described mega fan of Lost.
- Production Posse: Has the distinction, along with Elizabeth Banks, of being one of the only people to hold membership in both the Judd Apatow and David Wain posses.
- Running Gag: Whenever he promotes a movie on Conan, the clip of the movie he's supposed to be promoting gets replaced by the runaway wheelchair scene from Mac and Me.
- Shakespearean Actors: He has had Shakespeare roles on stage and on screen. On screen, it was the role of Paris in William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet and he also appeared on Twelth Night.
- Those Two Actors:
- He's been in several movies with Elizabeth Banks.
- And Jennifer Aniston.
- And Reese Witherspoon.
- And Jason Segel
- And Janeane Garafolo.
- What Could Have Been: He and his Anchorman/40 Year Old Virgin castmate Steve Carell were originally slated to star in Party Down, but after the project was shelved multiple times and both of their careers exploded, the roles were eventually recast.