Creator / Patricia C. Wrede
Patricia C. Wrede is an American fantasy writer whose works include the Enchanted Forest Chronicles
Her other works include two series of Regency
Fantasy (one beginning with Mairelon the Magician
and the other, co-written with Caroline Stevermer
, with Sorcery & Cecelia
), and a series set in the world of Lyra
, as well as a number of stand-alone novels (including The Seven Towers
) and numerous short stories.
Works by Patricia C. Wrede with their own trope pages include:
Other works by Patricia C. Wrede provide examples of:
- Beam-O-War: The Wizard Duel in The Seven Towers, with a twist: after watching for a while, the protagonist realises that the wizards aren't trying to push each others' beams away, but drag them closer. It's explained afterward that if one wizard succeeds in reeling in the other's beam, he is then able to drain his opponent's power.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Amberglas in The Seven Towers, although this is at least partly Obfuscating Stupidity. Her constant rambling digressions seem to be genuine, but she's much sharper (and more powerful) than she gives the impression of being, and frequently she has important things to say if you can sort them out from the nonsense.
- Fractured Fairy Tale: Several, including "The Cinders Case".
- Historical Fantasy: Several, including Snow White and Rose Red, an adaptation of the fairy tale of the same name.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: In The Seven Towers, Prince Eltiron's domineering father betroths him to Princess Crystalorn from a neighboring kingdom. Both characters are horrified by the idea, but once they meet and survive the book's plot together, they're much more in favour.
- Twice Told Tale:
- Snow White and Rose Red, a novel-length retelling of "Snow-White and Rose-Red" which updates the setting to Elizabethan England and casts John Dee as the villain.
- "Stronger Than Death", retelling "Sleeping Beauty" gone wrong.
- Widow Witch: The Widow Arden in Snow White and Rose Red.
- Wizard Duel: In The Seven Towers.