Nicole Mary Kidman (born 1967) is an Australian actress. She is currently one of Hollywood's leading ladies and a frequent portrayer of 'icy-blondes' on screen; even though she is a natural redhead
and a proud Ms. Fanservice
. She was once married to Tom Cruise
and has two adopted children with him. Now married to the singer Keith Urban
with whom she has two daughters named Sunday Rose and Faith Margaret.
Films she has starred in:
Provides examples of:
- Australian Accent: Duh, she's Australian. If you want to know what the average Australian actually sounds like, listen to her in interviews.
- Dye Hard: She's naturally red-haired but is more famous for being an 'icy-blonde'. Although she says that the red hair in her early roles was also a dye job, and that her natural color is a reddish or strawberry blonde.
- Fanservice: She often appears naked or in skimpy outfits on films.
- Fake Nationality: The majority of her film roles, since she rarely gets a chance to play an Aussie (even in Australia she plays a Brit). These include:
- Fake American: Many roles. She technically has dual-citizenship since she was born in Honolulu, though both of her parents come from Australia and she was raised there from age 4.
- Fake Brit: In Hours (as Virginia Woolf) and Australia.
- Fake French: In Moulin Rouge!.
- Fake Irish: In Far and Away.
- Fake Russian: In Birthday Girl.
- Oscar Bait: Which has helped garner 3 Oscar nominations for Best Actress, including a win for 2002's The Hours.
- Playing Against Type: In contrast to her usual Defrosting Ice Queen role she has played an evil Brainless Beauty in To Die For and a Cute Witch in the film version of Bewitched.
- The Vamp: Playing Mrs. Coulter in The Golden Compass. In fact she was author Philip Pullman's first choice for the role and he later admitted that he should have made the character blonde to reflect this point.