Nick Shutter, also known as Silent Cicada, is a music producer, visual artist, animator, and video game designer.Originally making dance music under the name Ecks Acksis, he switched to the alias Silent Cicada in 2011, where he began to produce Ambient and Harsh Noise. In 2015, he stopped making music under the name Silent Cicada, opting for Nick Shutter instead and relegating the old name to just visual work.His artwork is generally of a dark nature, prominently featuring elements of Horror and Gorn. However, his visual style greatly varies, often featuring elements of Fantasy and Funny Animals.He is currently developing a horror Visual Novel titled Jack & Jill, which will be about the eponymous characters from the nursery rhyme becoming lost in the dark forest on their way to fetch water for their sickly Mother Dearest.
- Anything Can Be Music: His samples have included the creaking of faucet handles, slurping noises, passing vehicles, and his desk fan. It's safe to say that Everything Is an Instrument is in full effect here.
- Concept Album: Nightshade and AD MORTEM, both of which have been condensed as part of a large compilation.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Drone of Dread
- Everything Is an Instrument
- Fan Work: Most notably, Yume Nikki Reimagined - a remix album of songs from the video game Yume Nikki.
- Harsh Vocals
- Lonely Piano Piece: Eigengrau and Happening.
- Loudness War: Intentionally avoided in much of his Ambient work, while some of his noisier releases have intentional audio clipping.
- Neo Classical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Often mixes genres in bizarre ways, including but not limited to having influences from IDM, Hardcore Techno, Glitch, Ambient, and Harsh Noise all in one track or album.
- New Sound Album: Nightshade was his first proper Ambient album, while Filth One signaled his move into noise music.
- Remaster: Much of his old work was remastered, and can be found on his Silent Cicada compilation. About half of the tracks from Yume Nikki Reimagined are remasters of old versions as well.
- Textless Album Cover: The vast majority of his album art is this.
- Sampling: Very common in his work. He often samples old Public Domain material.
- Scare Chord
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Was formerly known as Ecks Acksis.