Naughty Dog is an American video game developer owned by Sony Computer Entertainment, first formed as Jam Software in 1984 before renaming themselves to their current name in 1989. They are responsible for many hit franchises for the PlayStation consoles.
- Crash Bandicoot (PlayStation), the console's de facto mascot. Naughty Dog developed the original three games and Crash Team Racing, after which, they sold the franchise.
- Jak and Daxter (PlayStation 2), a launch PS2 game.
- Uncharted (PlayStation 3), one of the system's top selling and most acclaimed franchises.
- The Last of Us (PlayStation 3), an enormously popular game widely considered to be their as-of-yet best.
This company is responsible for:
- Math Jam (1985; Apple ][)
- Ski Crazed (1986; Apple ][)
- Dream Zone (1988; Apple IIGS)
- Keef the Thief (1989; Apple IIGS)
- Rings of Power (1991; Sega Genesis)
- Way of the Warrior (1994; 3DO)
- Crash Bandicoot
- Jak and Daxter
- Jak X: Combat Racing (2005; PlayStation 2)
- The Last of Us (2013; PlayStation 3)
- Unannounced Project (In development)
- Canceled Projects
- Al O. Saurus and Dinestein, a side-scrolling video game based on time travel and scientists genetically merged with dinosaurs, (a spoof on Back to the Future and Jurassic Park). If Naughty Dog never signed on to the company, there would be no Crash Bandicoot but they would make this game.
- Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier; technically speaking, Naughty Dog concieved this game, but once they found they couldn't develop it and Uncharted at the same time, they handed the project to High Impact Games, who proceeded to make their own version of the game from the ground up, essentially leaving Naughty Dog's version of the game as this.
Tropes associated with Naughty Dog
- Action Girl: Coco, Ashelin, Elena and Ellie. Usually at least one of the major characters in a Naughty Dog game is this.
- Darker and Edgier. The Jak and Daxter series went this direction starting with the second game. In general, their later games are this compared to their earlier work; just compare Crash Bandicoot to The Last of Us; the difference is night and day.
- Deadpan Snarker: Another common trait of Naughty Dog's. Nearly every character is prone to making witty remarks, Daxter and Drake are the most prominent examples.
- Scenery Porn
- Serkis Folk: Uncharted and The Last of Us had the actors perform motion capture while simultaneously recording dialogue.