Naughty Dog is an American video game developer owned by Sony Computer Entertainment
, first formed as Jam Software in 1984 before renaming themselves to their current name in 1989. They are responsible for many hit franchises for the PlayStation consoles.
Naughty Dog has something of a sister company in the form of Insomniac Games
. Both companies started out working in the same building, and even produced very similar games around the same times
. Just to illustrate: Naughty Dog's Crash Bandicoot
and Insomniac's Spyro the Dragon
, Naughty's Jak and Daxter
and Insomniac's Ratchet & Clank
. As far as game companies can go, these guys are pretty much the tightest of bros, though also sharing a Friendly Rivalry
This company is responsible for:
Tropes associated with Naughty Dog
- Action Girl: Coco, Ashelin, Elena and Ellie. Usually at least one of the major characters in a Naughty Dog game is this.
- Deadpan Snarker: Another common trait of Naughty Dog's. Nearly every character is prone to making witty remarks, Daxter and Drake are the most prominent examples.
- Scenery Porn
- Serkis Folk: Uncharted and The Last of Us had the actors perform motion capture while simultaneously recording dialogue.
- Tom Hanks Syndrome: Developer example. Compare The Last of Us to their earlier work.
- We begin with the lighthearted platforming for Crash Bandicoot, involving cartoony animations and enviroments with pretty colors, animals, and a simplistic plot of "Defead the evil scientist and save the world". This carries forward to the first Jak and Daxter game, which mixes platforming and open wide worlds instead of linear levels, and a more dense story with (not mad scientists but Eco Power domination), but still simple. Jak 2 introduces guns, sci-fi guns, and removes the nice enviroments for a downright depressing city ruled by a dictator. Jak 3 follows the trend. Now we move into Uncharted, going away from the cartoony lands we once had to the real world. A more mature story with human characters, with Drake providing some of the best humor. There are guns, but real ones, and we kill a lot of people. The story has the feel of an Indiana Jones movie. Take this realism and turn it into the Post-Apocalyptic world of The Last of Us, now with zomb-err... Infected people. (They will make you shit your pants). Now with realistic gore, and a story driven by the death of the protagonist's daughter, the loss of allies, and lots, lots, of psychological conflicts (plus, less platforming compared to Uncharted, based on expansive exploration and, well, shooting stuff). From Wumpa Island, Sandover Village, to Haven City and the Metalhead Nest; from fighting pirates in South America and terrorists in Nepal, to escaping a Quarintine Zone at night, dealing with security guards, infected, and a dying North America.
And it's all an awesome journey.