Moonflux is a film & arts Brazilian website founded by independent filmmaker and photographer Bruno Colli, maintained by himself and his partner, Pietro Milan, also a filmmaker.Founded in 2009 and reinaugurated in 2012, the site has been given recognition since then, mostly because it mixes accesible language to analyse films and bands that Needs More Love
. They also had written some reports about prejudices in Brazilian translations and fake urban legends about Disney.
Bruno and Pietro doesn't call themselves "film critics", but "film fans/film makers". That's why Moonflux is an analysis site, not a critic site. So far, their work has been nearly unanimously praised by film fans, especially underground and art films enthusiasts. Despite their deliberately low promotion, it's frequently mentioned in film fans circles as a good source to know good, underrated movies, and one of the best sites to make homages to masters of cinema like François Truffaut
and Andrei Tarkovsky
. They also write about photography, literature, games and music, but not that often.Also, they're responsible for making (very accurate, some of them better than official sources) subtitles for filmes which have not yet been released in their country.
You can visit the page clicking here
Tropes associated with Moonflux and its creators:
- Completely Missing the Point / Hate Dumb: Apparently, the site (and their affiliated groups) has been victim of some insults just because they don't talk about more known films, and dismisses unnecessary offenses as "pseudo-intelectual" (commonly said for those who like art and films in Brazil). Despite the fact that their objective is to bring obscure works to spotlight. Even worse, althought there's nothing that points the creators' attitudes as elitist or donnish (actually they're the exact opposite), the Hate Dumb (which includes owners of other blogs of questionable quality level) still insist they are.
- Creator Couple: Bruno and Pietro were a couple. However, even after the end of their relationship, they're still best friends with each other.
- Deadpan Snarker: Bruno, on nearly all his analysis.
- Doing It for the Art: Similarly to many films analysed and/or translated by them. Also, the creators explicitly told that they don't want to earn any money with Moonflux, mostly because they hate ads and it can be easily blocked anyway. It does help that they came from very wealthy families, so it would be virtually useless to earn money with ads.
- Insane Troll Logic / He Panned It, Now He Sucks: Not them, but some of their detractors. The creators didn't liked Amour, by Michael Haneke, but wrote a very polite article about it, especifically saying that there was no problem with anyone who liked the film. As a result, Haneke's fanboys began to publicly offend the site, their creators and their readers on social networks about movies.
- The article revealing the truth behind famous urban legends about Disney, written in 2009, receives angry comments of religious fanatics from this day on.
- Insistent Terminology: Do not call they film critics (though their work is better than plenty of so-called "film critics").
- Needs More Love: The entire point of the site. Also, the site itself.
- Purple Prose: Pietro averts this doing very detailed analysis without any chitchating.
- Reality Subtext: The article about Rogue and Magneto was actually a gift to celebrate the cretors' relationship's one year anniversary.
- Straw Critic / Caustic Critic : Averted. They're very reasonable with it and can perfectly understand why someone likes a movie that they didn't. Still, they will show what's wrong in the analysed films.
- The Stoic: Apparently, both of them. At least in public.