"Never let anyone tell you that something is impossible."Monyreak "Monty" Oum (June 22, 1981 - February 1, 2015), was, among other things, a self-taught 3D animator,* whose education was entirely observational. He was responsible for some of the most awesome Web Animation around, most of which relied on Rule of Cool.He gained early fame for Haloid and Dead Fantasy, two of his most famous works and the two that really put him on the map. He was hired by Rooster Teeth to work on never-before-done (at the time) animation for Red vs. Blue, for which he worked tirelessly to make Tex even more awesome than previously thought possible. After finishing up season 10 of RvB, he launched a new web series under the name of RWBY, something he said he's always been wanting to do since he got into animation. As the director and lead animator of RWBY, he took employees and writers from all sections of Rooster Teeth, including fan favorites from Achievement Hunter, to produce the series. In between his movies, he was working on an adaptation of Hatsune Miku for M.U.G.E.N.He also worked briefly as a combat designer for Midway Games and Bandai Namco Entertainment (as a combat designer for the former and combat designer/animator for the latter's Afro Samurai game). His long-term goal, aside from making movies for his fans, was to make the most awesome fighting game ever. Some fans have begged for him to make a game based off RWBY, something he somewhat hinted at◊ before a RWBY game was confirmed at RTX 2014.On January 30, 2015, it was announced that Monty was stricken with an unknown medical emergency and a fundraiser was set up to help with paying for the expenses. On February 2, it was revealed that he died due to a severe allergic reaction that left him comatose. He was 33 years old. In his memory, Rooster Teeth has challenged everyone whose lives were touched by Monty and his works to use their creativity to make the world a better place.His online presence lives on through a video list of his work over at GameTrailers, his DeviantArt gallery, his original YouTube channel, his former Twitter account, and his former Tumblr account.
Works with animation by Monty Oum:
- Dead Fantasy
- Red vs. Blue (Seasons 8-10) (produced by Rooster Teeth)
- RWBY (produced by Rooster Teeth)
Voice Acting Roles:
- RWBY: Lie Ren (Volumes 1 + 2)
Tropes associated with Monty:
- Action Girl: All of his works heavily features female fighters front-and-center.
- All Asians Know Martial Arts: Played for laughs when he appeared as a guest "martial arts instructor" in an episode of Immersion.
- Author Appeal: Action Girls and fluid fight scenes permeate his works. Even Haloid had Samus fight out of her armor, and it turns out the SPARTAN in the video was a woman all along.
- Most characters in RWBY drink coffee like it's going out of style. Coffee is something Monty the infamous workaholic was all too familiar with.
- Badass Armfold: As per his profile picture, it seemed to be his trademark pose, as shown in The Gauntlet and other appearances.
- Cool vs. Awesome: The two works that brought him to fame were Halo vs. Metroid and Dead or Alive vs. Final Fantasy.
- Recoil Boost: His animations often have characters use the recoil from their guns to propel themselves at high speeds. Monty said that his goal was to make fights fluid by conserving motion, which means integrating the recoil from firearms into combat maneuvers.
- Rule of Cool: The only rule he lived by. Oum's fight scenes are powered by "what would be awesome here".
- Shipper on Deck: He was the one who encouraged Gavin Free and Meg Turney to go out with each other.