Creator: Miramax Films
Founded by Harvey and Bob Weinstein in 1979, Miramax was notorious for specifically creating Oscar Bait Movies and releasing them one after the other in order to appear to be the studio that "gets the most Oscars." They have released such Oscar-winning and Oscar-nominated films as My Left Foot, The Crying Game, The Piano, Pulp Fiction, The English Patient, Good Will Hunting, Shakespeare in Love, The Cider House Rules, Chicago, Gangs of New York, The Hours, Cold Mountain, The Aviator, No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood. (The last two released through the label after Harvey and Bob left.) However, they also produce movies that are not considered Oscar Bait, such as The View Askewniverse. This is the very company that launched Quentin Tarantino's career as a director, producing the above mentioned Pulp Fiction as well as Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill and Jackie Brown. Its sister company was Dimension Films, who have since joined The Weinstein Company since 2005. Owned by The Walt Disney Company from 1993 to 2010, it was then sold to Ron Tutor and his company Filmyard Holdings.Is infamous for often cutting and/or delaying foreign films they bought the rights to, such as Hero, Gandahar, and The Thief and the Cobbler.
Tropes Applying to Miramax:
- Executive Meddling: They don't call him "Harvey Scissorhands" for nothing. He seemed to adore cutting and/or delaying foreign films just cause. But that didn't mean domestic films were safe either.
- Oscar Bait: There's a reason that under the page, Miramax's tactics will always be described as "Egregious".
- Even worse, their pandering is commonly criticized for refusing to allow more deserving films win Best Picture. It's telling that 1996 & 1998's winners The English Patient and Shakespeare in Love are now seen as Deader Than Disco, while the other nominees such as Fargo and Saving Private Ryan are viewed as modern classics. Ouch.
- Screwed by the Network: Went hand-in-hand with the Executive Meddling above.
- Sibling Team
- Spiritual Successor: The Weinstein Company.