Mila Kunis (born August 14, 1983) is an American actress, most famous for playing Jackie Burkhart on That '70s Show
and voicing Meg Griffin on Family Guy
She was born in Ukraine, then part of the Soviet Union; her family moved to the U.S. after the fall of communism. In the '90s, she appeared in small roles in TV series (Baywatch
, Walker, Texas Ranger
, 7th Heaven
) and films (Piranha
, Santa With Muscles
). Her breakout role was of Jackie on That '70s Show
, which ran from 1998 to 2006. In 2001 she had a minor role in the romantic-comedy Get Over It
. Kunis is now known as the voice of Meg Griffin on Family Guy
the original voice actress Lacey Chabert note
She appeared in films during her run on That '70s Show
, but her career only took off after the series ended. In 2008, she starred in the Romantic Comedy Forgetting Sarah Marshall
, co-produced by Judd Apatow
. In 2009, she appeared in the film adaptation of Max Payne
, and Mike Judge
's comedy film Extract
. In 2010, she starred in the post-apocalyptic action film The Book of Eli
alongside Denzel Washington
and had a small role in the comedy Date Night
. Her next film was Darren Aronofsky
's ballet drama Black Swan
, where she played Natalie Portman
's rival. In 2011, she starred in the romantic comedy Friends with Benefits
along with Justin Timberlake
. In 2012, she appeared in Seth MacFarlane
's directorial debut, Ted
. In 2013, she appeared in the fantasy film Oz: The Great and Powerful
, Sam Raimi
's take on a prequel to The Wizard of Oz
lore, which sees her as the Wicked Witch of the West. Yes, that Wicked Witch
She will appear in Jupiter Ascending
, a Science Fiction
film directed by the Wachowskis and co-starring Channing Tatum
. The film is set for a 2015 release.
She has also appeared in a few music videos, most notably "Jaded" for Aerosmith
and voiced Tanya Winters in the video game Saints Row 1
She's engaged to Ashton Kutcher
and they have a child together.
Also agreed to go out with a Marine who asked her out via YouTube
This actress provides examples of:
- Dawson Casting: Originally averted with both That 70s Show and Family Guy; when cast, she was as old as her characters. However, they remained teenagers while she grew up.
- Death Glare: Shown on Conan
- Dyeing for Your Art: She lost 20 pounds to play a ballerina in Black Swan (then quickly regained it after filming).
- Even the Girls Want Her: After filming Black Swan, Mila got quite a large female fanbase.
- Girl on Girl Is Hot: The lesbian scene between her and Natalie Portman in Black Swan has gotten some attention.
- Not to mention her scene with Zoe Saldana in After Sex.
- Loophole Abuse: How she got her role on That '70s Show in the first place. She told the producers she was going to be 18 "on my birthday", but didn't specify that particular birthday was four years away.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Despite playing snobby and cruel Jackie (and the disturbed and borderline abusive Meg Griffin), she is known to be very sweet and likeable.
- Non-Singing Voice: In the Family Guy episode "Don't Make Me Over", Meg became a star singer. Since Kunis can't sing, Tara Strong performed Meg's songs.
- Although in "Road to North Pole", she was briefly heard singing with the rest of the cast during the opening song.
- The first episode where she sang was actually "Mr. Saturday Knight." On the commentary she berates Seth MacFarlane for making her sing.
- Old Shame: She's not proud of her roles in Santa With Muscles and American Psycho 2: All American Girl.
- One Head Taller: She's 5' 3". She played Ashton Kutcher's (6' 2") girlfriend on That 70s Show, and Jason Segel's (6' 4") on Forgetting Sarah Marshall.
- One of Us: She's a fan of Star Trek, World of Warcraft and Farmville. Mike Judge said she can quote Rejected.
- The Other Darrin: Was one for Lacey Chabert when she was hired to voice Meg on Family Guy
- Really Seventeen Years Old
- Playing Against Type: Her performance in Black Swan as Lily. She mainly appears in comedies, while Black Swan is a dark, psychosexual Mind Screw of a drama.
- Sesame Street Cred: She appeared on Sesame Street in 2011 to teach kids about the word "include".
- Those Two Actors: She and James Franco played current or former lovers in four films: Date Night, Tar, Oz: The Great and Powerful and Third Person. She also appeared in several of his student films.
- Tom Hanks Syndrome: She got her start on That 70's Show and Family Guy, and is more well known for Black Swan and Oz: The Great and Powerful.
- You Didn't Ask: All who auditioned for her role in That '70s Show were required to be at least 18 years old; she was 14 at the time, so she told the casting directors she’d be 18 on her birthday, but didn't say which one. Though they eventually figured it out, the producers still thought she was the best fit for the role.
- Your Costume Needs Work: She mentioned in an interview that she auditioned for the part of a Russian Jewish girl in the 1995 film Make a Wish, Molly, but she didn't get it, because "they didn't think I looked Russian or Jewish enough - and, mind you, I am both Russian and Jewish". Instead, she was cast as a Mexican.