Creator: Matthew McConaughey
aka: Matthew Mcconaughey
Awright awright awright.Matthew David McConaughey (born November 4, 1969) is an American actor best known for his roles in Romantic Comedies and a particularly epic Career Resurrection. After a series of minor roles in the early 1990s, McConaughey gained notice for his breakout role in Dazed and Confused (1993) and A Time to Kill in 1996. However, after that he starred in a series of box-office disappointments, but then started having a Career Resurrection (styled as the "McConnaissance") thanks movies such as The Lincoln Lawyer, Magic Mike and Dallas Buyers Club for which he won the Best Actor Academy Award and the HBO anthology drama True Detective.Was imitated by Jim Carrey on Saturday Night Live.
- Dazed and Confused (1993)
- A Time to Kill (1996)
- Contact (1997)
- EDtv (1999)
- Frailty (2001)
- Reign of Fire (2002)
- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)
- Sahara (2005)
- Killer Joe (2011)
- The Lincoln Lawyer (2011)
- Magic Mike (2012)
- Mud (2012)
- Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - Academy Award winner for Best Actor
- The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
- True Detective (2014)
- Interstellar (2014)
This actor provides examples of:
- Anti-Hero: He has a tendency to play these.
- Career Resurrection: And how! He took home a Golden Globe and an Oscar for his role in Dallas Buyers Club, and topped it off with a critically-acclaimed performance in the new HBO drama True Detective.
- Catch Phrase: David Wooderson's (McConaughey's character from Dazed and Confused) "Alright, alright, alright!" has become McConaughey's own catchphrase, especially since he dropped it during his Oscar speech.
- Dyeing for Your Art: He lost 38 pounds to play a man with AIDS in the 2013 film Dallas Buyers Club.
- Leslie Nielsen Syndrome: After doing serious works in The '90s, he spends most of the Turn of the Millennium doing (mostly) Rom-Coms. It wasn't until The New Tens when he starts doing serious and dark stuff again. And then he went from winning an Oscar to doing a car commercial.
- Old Shame: His view on Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation. While him saying yes to the film was due to I Was Young and Needed the Money, he tried suing to block its release.
- Playing Against Type: Overlapping with Career Resurrection, the past few years of his career have been this, with movies like Magic Mike, Killer Joe, Mud, and The Paperboy, all far darker and more serious than the romantic comedies that he's done for the past decade. While he still does comedies - such as the aforementioned Killer Joe and Bernie - they tend towards Black Comedy, with the former being extremely dark.
- Those Two Actors: Kate Hudson and Jennifer Garner both co-starred with him twice in different films.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: To the point where it's a Running Gag on RiffTrax.