Matthew David McConaughey (born November 4, 1969) is an American actor best known for his roles in romantic comedies
and a particularly epic Career Resurrection
. After a series of minor roles in the early 1990s, McConaughey gained notice for his breakout role in Dazed and Confused
(1993) and A Time to Kill
in 1996. However, after that he starred in a series of box-office disappointments, he started having a Career Resurrection
(styled as the "McConnaissance") in movies such as The Lincoln Lawyer
, Magic Mike
and Dallas Buyers Club
for which he won the Best Actor Academy Award
. He currently stars in the HBO
anthology drama, True Detective
This actor provides examples of:
- Career Resurrection: And how! He took home a Golden Globe and an Oscar for his role in Dallas Buyers Club, and topped it off with a critically-acclaimed performance in the new HBO drama True Detective.
- Catch Phrase: David Wooderson's (McConaughey's character from Dazed and Confused) "Alright, alright, alright!" has become McConaughey's own catchphrase, especially since he dropped it during his Oscar speech.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: If his Golden Globe and SAG Award acceptance speeches didn't convince you, there's also the infamous nude bongos incident...
- Dork Age: The entire 00's could be seen as one giant dork age for him.
- Dyeing for Your Art: He lost 38 pounds to play a man with AIDS in the 2013 film Dallas Buyers Club.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Never Live It Down: Starring in terrible romantic comedies throughout the 00's.
- And the nude bongos incident.
- Old Shame: His view on Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation. While him saying yes to the film was due to I Was Young and Needed the Money, he tried suing to block it's release.
- Playing Against Type: Overlapping with Career Resurrection, the past few years of his career have been this, with movies like Magic Mike, Killer Joe, Mud, and The Paperboy, all far darker and more serious than the romantic comedies that he's done for the past decade. While he still does comedies - such as the aforementioned Killer Joe and Bernie - they tend towards Black Comedy, with the former being extremely dark.
- Walking Shirtless Scene