Matthew Theron Ruff is an American author of a small, but very diverse collection of novels. All of them feature (sometimes quite dark) humor and somewhat fantastic elements.
Matt is definitely One of Us
, as anyone who follows his blog can attest. His website
contains a lot of interesting and funny details about the creation of his works.
He has written, in chronological order:
- Fool On The Hill (1988) - his debut novel, inspired by his time in, and set at, Cornell University. A Fantasy Kitchen Sink about a young writer caught between Greek gods, talking animals, the fair folk, and monkeys with typewriters.
- Sewer, Gas & Electric: The Public Works Trilogy (1997) - a Post Cyber Punk novel, according to The Other Wiki. Set in the near future after a pandemic has wiped out (nearly) all black people, it features mutant sharks in Absurdly Spacious Sewers, androids, eco-pirates, and Ayn Rand in a bottle.
- Set This House in Order: A Romance of Souls (2003) - Ruff's most well-known and critically acclaimed novel. Features Loads and Loads of Characters. In a way.
- Bad Monkeys (2007) - a homage to Philip K. Dick. Features a very Unreliable Narrator and one hell of a Twist Ending.
- The Mirage (2012) - in this Alternate History novel, set in a Mirror Universe in which the United Arabian States fight The War on Terror against western fundamentalism in the wake of the 11/9 attacks on the Bagdad Twin Towers.