Creator: Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen
Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen are twin actresses that became famous for playing Michelle Tanner in Full House. They parlayed that fame into a highly lucrative series of straight-to-V/H/S movies, leading them to become the top earning stars under the age of 21 from the early 90's to the mid 2000s. They stopped acting as a duo in 2004, but continued to profit handsomely from royalties, earning $40 million in 2006 even though they hadn't acted in anything. In 2007 Forbes ranked the twins as the eleventh-richest women in entertainment, with an estimated net worth of $100 million. Their success has led to a number of attempts to heavily promote other young twin actor pairs.Their later teen years were common fodder for tabloid news. As adults, their focus shifted from movies to fashion, and they've used their considerable personal wealth to produce numerous clothing lines. In Fall 2008, the girls wrote a book called "Influence" as a tribute to designers, artists and other industry creative individuals who inspired them. Mary Kate continues to act occasionally in movies and TV shows, while Ashley has forgone acting entirely to focus on their fashion business.A little known fact is that they are actually fraternal, and not identical twins, simply sharing a very strong family resemblance. They have a sister named Elizabeth, also an actress, who made her cinematic debut in 2012's Martha Marcy May Marlene. They also inspired the parody Web series Very Mary Kate.
Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen have appeared on these works:
- Full House (not (usually) on screen at the same time)
- They were credited as "Mary Kate Ashley Olsen", leading many to believe that the little girl was played by one actress.
- Two of a Kind, a short-lived sitcom, as pre-teens.
- So Little Time, a short-lived tween Sitcom starring the two.
- Mary Kate and Ashley in Action!, a short-lived Saturday Morning Cartoon starring the twins as Ink Suit Actors.
- Saturday Night Live (guest hosted, at expense of their senior prom, in 2004)
- The Adventures of Mary-Kate and Ashley, a plethora of mystery works for children (literature and videos)
- You're Invited to Mary-Kate and Ashley's, a plethora of party movies for children
- A plethora of Direct-to-Video tween comedies
Some tropes used by their movies:
- Parent Trap Plot: A rip-off of The Parent Trap called It Takes Two.
- Polar Opposite Twins: The twins played this up in most of their shows and TV-movies.
- Runaway Bride: Their father in It Takes Two. He was marrying the Rich Bitch, so it's okay!
- Tomboy and Girly Girl:
- Billboard Dad: Mary-Kate Olsen plays Tess Tyler, a girl who likes to cook and is the best member of the high diving team. She says it's the next best thing to the ballerina that their mom was. Ashley plays her boy crazy twin sister Emily, who enjoys surfing.
- It Takes Two: Mary-Kate Olsen is Amanda Lemmon, an orphan who plays street ball and resents having to act lady-like to get adopted while Alyssa Callaway (played by Ashley Olsen) is like a little princess, coming home from her boarding school's piano recital competition, expecting to meet her wealthy father at the airport but it's the butler instead.
- Switching Goals: Mary-Kate Olsen plays Sam Stanton, an athletic star soccer player, who is jealous of her sister's popularity with boys. Ashley Olsen plays Emma Stanton, a popular fashionable girl but terrible at sports, who is jealous of her sister's athletic achievements.
- Witness Protection: Our Lips Are Sealed (the Australian one)
Some tropes used by their TV shows:
- Alpha Bitch: Jennifer in Two of a Kind.
- The Danza: Mary Kate and Ashley Burke in Two of a Kind.
- Missing Mom: Both Full House and Two of a Kind have the Olsens playing the daughter(s) of a widowed father.
- Take That: "I Blame The Media" after getting caught making a mess in Larrypolooza in So Little Time.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: In Two of a Kind, Ashley was presented as a very fashion-forward girl while Mary-Kate was a typical sporty tomboy.