Mandy Patinkin (November 30, 1952-) is an American actor who has found success on stage and on the large and small screens.
On stage, he played Che in the first Broadway production of Evita
(for which he won a Tony Award), and originated the role of George in Stephen Sondheim
's Sunday In The Park With George
and Archibald Craven in the musical adaptation of The Secret Garden
. He has also toured successfully as a concert performer.
As a film actor he is best known for his role as Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride
. His other roles include Avigdor in Yentl
, Sam Francisco in the original film of Alien Nation
, the villain in the Sesame Street
movie The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland
, and 88 Keys in the film adaptation of Dick Tracy
(a role which once again had him performing Sondheim).
On the small screen, his prominent roles include Dr Geiger in Chicago Hope
, Rube in Dead Like Me
, Jason Gideon in Criminal Minds
and Saul Berenson in Homeland
(with beard for the last). He guest-starred as Satan
in an episode of Touched by an Angel
(and sang Sondheim).
Tropes that relate to Mandy Patinkin:
- Audience Participation Song: Has been known to get the audience at his concerts to dance the hokey-pokey (which he sings in Yiddish).
- Disappeared Dad: Lost his father at an early age, which gave his role in The Princess Bride a Reality Subtext for him.
- Gender-Blender Name: "Mandy" in this case is short for Mandel, not Amanda.
- Nice to the Waiter: Patinkin is one of the very few celebrities who maintain a facebook page who don't then immediately hire a service to run interference with the fans. If you manage to friend Mandy Patinkin on facebook (something absolutely not guaranteed just because you sent a friend request... he apparently only "friends" people he finds interesting at first glance, and stays friends only with those people capable of holding interesting conversations), you're dealing with him one-on-one because he doesn't believe in playing his fans for suckers.
- Phrase Catcher: He gets people quoting The Princess Bride at him a lot. Reportedly, he doesn't mind; it's still one of his favorite roles. "Hello, My Name Is Inigo Montoya. You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die."
- The Cast Showoff: While he doesn't do it in his film work, inevitably every single character Mandy Patinkin plays on television will be shown cooking. This is because Patinkin is a huge foodie and a self-trained chef and loves to cook as much as he loves to eat.