Lois McMaster Bujold is a modern American writer of Speculative Fiction
. She was early categorised as a writer of Military Science-Fiction
due to her early books, but her books generally pick up elements of romance, detection, planetary romance, and many other types of genres.
Major works of hers include:
Some tropes common to Lois Bujold's works are:
- Amazon Chaser
- Author Appeal
- The angsty, experienced older man/spunky but naive young woman pairing shows up in a number of Bujold's other works, including Falling Free, The Curse of Chalion, and The Hallowed Hunt.
- Also, group marriage. The notion that one can be sincerely in love with more than one person at a time shows up at least once per series:
- Vorkosigan Saga: Cordelia mentions an Armsman who has one wife in the city and one in the country, is chronically stressed by the expense and the secrecy, but can't bear to choose between them and seems to truly love both.
- Chalion: Dowager Royina Ista tells of the close but non-romantic relationship she had with her husband's male lover, and how much her husband loved them both.
- The Sharing Knife: A Lakewalker woman is married to two men. The original couple couldn't have children—all-important in Lakewalker culture—but they didn't want to split up, so they just brought in an extra husband.
- Weddings in general. Most of her books have someone getting married in them.
- May--September Romance