“Son, you don't have bad luck. The reason bad things happen to you is because you're a dumbass!”
Describe Kurtwood Smith, before I put my foot in your ass
Kurtwood Larson Smith (born 1943) is an American actor best known for his roles in RoboCop (1987)
as Clarence Boddicker and on That '70s Show
as Red Forman. To animation fans, he's also known as the voice of General Galapagos on The Terrible Thunderlizards
and Agent Bennett on The Zeta Project
. As most of the aforementioned roles suggest, he frequently plays Jerkasses
He's also an example of Mean Character Nice Actor
as he's frequently described by his co-workers on RoboCop
and That 70s Show
as one of the nicest people around.
Notable Roles from Kurtwood Smith:
Tropes associated with Kurtwood Smith:
- Bald of Awesome
- Mean Character Nice Actor: Smith is also frequently described by several of his co-workers as being a rather nice person, despite frequently playing bad guys (including the leader of the KKK at one point) and jerkasses (and yes, that includes Eric's dad, Red, on That '70s Show).
- One of Us: Big video game fan.
- Romance on the Set: Dick Jones's secretary with whom Clarence Boddicker flirts in RoboCop? Joan Pirkle, Smith's wife.
- Type Casting: In several of his roles, he frequently plays arrogant characters or bad guys. He's admitted to enjoying playing villains.
- Playing Against Type: The Federation President, Henry Langston, Jim Gordon, and Shyir Rev in Green Lantern: The Animated Series were generally much nicer people than most of the other characters he's played. The latter three are also much better fathers that Red Forman and especially Mr. Perry. Hell, Jim Gordon is the polar opposite of both of Smith's most well-known characters, as in addition to being a better father than Red, he's one of the most famous cops in fiction and had a trope named after him, whereas Clarence Boddicker is a Cop Killer.
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: His mother thought there weren't enough Kurtwoods in the world.