Hey, it's that guy!
Kim Coates is a Canadian actor (b. 1958), best known for his role as Tig Trager in Sons of Anarchy
, but familiar as a Hey, It's That Guy!
from over a hundred movie and TV appearances since the late '80s, most famously as the crazy Drifter in Waterworld
, the creepy hitman Paul Gronke in The Client
, and recurring antagonist Ron Saris in CSI: Miami
He specialises in playing villains, and he's so notorious for being killed on screen that he has his own death reel
, but he plays convincingly against type in movies like Black Hawk Down
, King Of Sorrow
, and the elusive Frame Up Blues
Kim is a huge hockey fan
and very active on Twitter
Provides examples of:
Kim's movies are themselves so tropey that his fans have created his own list of tropes
- Acting for Two: Plays identical twin brothers in Ferocious.
- Canada, Eh?: Kim's hometown is Saskatoon, Sasketchewan, and he often returns there to shoot movies, support local causes...and visit his mum.
- Celebrity Resemblance: He's been compared to Joaquin Phoenix, Tom Savini and Robin Williams.
- Chronically Killed Actor: With a death count of somewhere in the high 50s at last count. Shot, stabbed, blown up, set on fire, eaten...
- Fake Nationality: Usually American, but has passed for Russian, Armenian, Irish, Mexican, German and Italian.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: He has an exceptionally distinctive look (what with the nose and the eyes) and his IMDB is full of familiar titles.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: However many scumbags he plays, it's hard to find a bad word said about him by anyone who's worked with him. He's frequently talked about in glowing terms on movie commentaries (Kevin Costner is particularly nice about him in the Open Range commentary). This is supported by reports from fans who've met him at cons, appearances, and in the street. He has a good-natured and accessible Twitter habit, and works tirelessly in support of a number of charities, including his annual fundraiser Hogs for Hearts.
- Retroactive Recognition: He's in so many familiar movies and TV shows, and it can be startling to suddenly spot him in an episode of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation...Cold Case...Prison Break...Smallville...
- Star-Making Role: Playing Tig in Sons of Anarchy made him a household name after years of being That Guy.
- Type Casting: He's cast as a scumbag, perv, or psycho (sometimes all three) in a disproportionate number of his movies and TV shows.
- You Look Familiar: Plays two different characters in Kung Fu: the Legend Continues, The Outer Limits, and Counterstrike. He's also one of only a handful of actors who've done the CSI: Crime Scene Investigation treble (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, CSI: Miami and CSI: NY) - as different characters each time.
Kim's roles include:Film