Creator: Kathryn Bigelow
Kathryn Bigelow is an American film director best known for her adrenaline-soaked action movies and also for being the first woman to win the Academy Award for Best Director (for The Hurt Locker).All of her movies tend to focus on characters who knowingly and willingly place themselves in harm's way in order to accomplish something that has to be done and at times seem to be addicted to the thrill of the chase.She used to be married to James Cameron, who co-wrote and produced her film Strange Days. Some were afraid this would cause awkwardness during the 2009 Oscar race, when her film The Hurt Locker and his film Avatar were considered the frontrunners for Best Picture, but there was no bad blood between them at all, with Cameron praising The Hurt Locker for being "this generation's Platoon" and even encouraging Academy voters to vote for Bigelow as Best Director.Her next film was Zero Dark Thirty, about the hunt to assassinate Osama bin Laden. It too was nominated for Best Picture, but also attracted strong controversy.
- The Loveless (1982)
- Near Dark (1987)
- Blue Steel (1989)
- Point Break (1991)
- Strange Days (1995)
- The Weight Of Water (2000)
- K19: The Widowmaker (2002)
- The Hurt Locker (2009)
- Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
Tropes applying to her and her work:
- Acclaimed Flop: Strange Days and The Hurt Locker
- Amicable Exes: With James Cameron.
- Blood Knight / Determinator: Her main characters are usually both.
- Career Resurrection: In one of the more awesome ways imaginable. After years away from the camera, she returned with The Hurt Locker, which appeared on countless critics' Top 10 lists and swept the Academy Awards that year, even making Bigelow the first woman to win Best Director.
- Deconstructor Fleet
- Playing Against Type: Her most popular pre-Hurt Locker film was Point Break, a movie that contains almost none of her subversive qualities or subtext, and is now remembered for being So Bad, It's Good, Totally Radical and an Unintentional Period Piece. Before that, she directed Near Dark, a vampire western that helped reinvent the vampire genre.
- Production Posse: With writer/producer Mark Boal and Ralph Fiennes
- This Loser Is You
- Working with the Ex: With James Cameron on Strange Days.