"I've learnt that my brain isn't as interested in stuff as I am."
— Karl Pilkington
Karl Pilkington (1972 -) is an English television personality, comedian, actor, author and former radio presenter, best known for his work with Ricky Gervais
and Stephen Merchant
. He appeared on The Ricky Gervais Show
where he gained prominence for his unique philosophy and outlook on life
. His fame increased after appearing as the presenter of An Idiot Abroad
where Ricky and Steve sent him round the world, much to his own discomfort.
It was Karl himself who best summed up his worldview: "I don't like fun"
. He is not a fan of holidays, parties, traveling, or anything that has to be planned in advance.
Tropes relating to Karl Pilkington:
- Animated Adaptation: In The Ricky Gervais Show.
- Ascended Extra: Was originally only the producer of The Ricky Gervais Show but wound up being a regular after Ricky and Steve found out that Karl's unsual worldview was a humour they had to exploit.
- Brutal Honesty: Karl is never one to hide his thoughts. When asked on a chat show what his motivation for making "The Moaning Of Life" was, Karl replied "Yeah, it's a job, innit?"
- Butt Monkey: To quote Ricky Gervais: "There's nothing funnier than Karl in a corner being poked with a stick. I am that stick".
- Cloud Cuckoolander:
- The Eeyore
- Freaky Is Cool: He's interested in 'Freaks', such as The Elephant Man.
- Friend to Bugs: Many of his stories from The Ricky Gervais Show involve insects and his fascination with them.
- Genius Ditz: Depending upon how you read him. While his thoughts are very odd, his reflections are occasionally strangely insightful and intelligent.
- Memetic Mutation: Many things that he has said, especially when he said "I could eat a knob at night." on The Ricky Gervais Show.
- Also, he has a head shaped like a fucking orange.
- Oop North: A native of Manchester, a veritable Cloud Cuckoo Land the way he tells it.
- Resigned to the Call: His reaction to going around the world in An Idiot Abroad.
- Spell My Name with an S: The now-infamous "Mr K. Dilkington" letter received by Karl and explained in one of his diary segments. Made particularly annoying for him that they suggest he's one of their most valued customers, and later crosspollenates with My Nayme Is when someone sends an e-mail addressing Karl as such. And later used mercilessly by Stephen and Ricky.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: It's not that Ricky and Steve don't like him as such — as a matter of fact they seem to think he's the best thing since sliced bread — but they're just awful to him most of the time and quite understandably can't respect someone who's got such utter bollocks spilling from his mouth.
- Verbal Tic: He ends sentences and that with "and that".
- When He Smiles: Given his normal demeanour, on the few occasions when you actually see him smile or laugh, it makes a huge difference.
- With Friends Like These...: With Ricky and Steve, especially Ricky.